Page 86 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I think Alpine said they could start a WRC program in the next homologation cycle if it was more EV-based, but Andrew Wheatley hinted that Rally1 regulations will not change that much.

2. Likes: AndyRAC (21st July 2022)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Same as Ogier and Sordo in 2018 and Meeke in 2014! (1 year before even getting first WRC win)
    Not to mention Gronholm in 2003.

Tanak is 35 this year.

So older, but not too old automatically.
    With much less Rally 1 experience than all the old guard.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Liked 488 Times in 188 Posts
    I think M-Sport should give Andreas at least a chance. Wherever he has participated, he has basically won all of them. This year, 3 WRC2 wins and 2 retirements from the lead. So can't blame that he is not delivering.

5. Likes: Lead (21st July 2022),skarderud (21st July 2022),WRC1 (21st July 2022)
    Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    my guess is that there must be a certain reason why no one hires him, i mean everybody knows the drivers and each other so well inside the service park and teams

from what i have heard from his Hyundai days is that he couldnt come up with his own set-up, always copied Thierrys, Loeb etc

On VW days he copied Ogiers set-up, i remember Latvala even admitting it in one interview some time back and didnt even he himself mention it? dont remember anymore
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

7. Likes: AnttiL (21st July 2022),cali (21st July 2022),flat_right (21st July 2022),steve.mandzij (22nd July 2022)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    I think M-Sport should give Andreas at least a chance. Wherever he has participated, he has basically won all of them. This year, 3 WRC2 wins and 2 retirements from the lead. So can't blame that he is not delivering.
    Definitely he deserves a chance and we could see how he's compared to other M-Sport drivers

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

9. Likes: flat_right (21st July 2022)
    Liked 2,841 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    my guess is that there must be a certain reason why no one hires him, i mean everybody knows the drivers and each other so well inside the service park and teams

from what i have heard from his Hyundai days is that he couldnt come up with his own set-up, always copied Thierrys, Loeb etc

On VW days he copied Ogiers set-up, i remember Latvala even admitting it in one interview some time back and didnt even he himself mention it? dont remember anymore
    Certain reason, could be. But this one is not a reason. Couldn´t be. If driver is ok with his mates settings, why not? It´s the speed and to finish that matters...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

11. Likes: WRC1 (21st July 2022)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think Alpine said they could start a WRC program in the next homologation cycle if it was more EV-based, but Andrew Wheatley hinted that Rally1 regulations will not change that much.
    Which begs the question - if the new regs aren't likely to change much, how do they attract more manufacturers?

Here is an unpopular view; the WRC isn't as big/popular or relevant as those inside the sport like to think it is.......Can we be certain Hyundai will stick around?

And what makes it worse is seeing the Porsche, Ferrari & Cadillac Hypercars pounding around test tracks ready for their debuts in the next year or two....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
    I've heard from several sources that Andreas is not a very pleasant person to deal with. He's very good at playing the media game but in the real world he can be very arrogant. I've also heard of a few cases where he didn't show up for the arranged tests, without an excuse. He doesn't want to pay, which I understand, but at this stage of his career his goal should be the WRC at all costs.

It's true that he wins everything he drives, but against the competition he sits in the car almost every day and still helps with his development. There's no substitute for the time in the car and the setup. And winning in the R5 is different than winning in the WRC.Greater speed and aero completely change the rules of the "game" .

So now he's probably waiting for the new car companies to enter the championship.

So at the end of the day I think he should drive in the WRC, but he's to blame for not driving.

Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Which begs the question - if the new regs aren't likely to change much, how do they attract more manufacturers?

Here is an unpopular view; the WRC isn't as big/popular or relevant as those inside the sport like to think it is.......Can we be certain Hyundai will stick around?

And what makes it worse is seeing the Porsche, Ferrari & Cadillac Hypercars pounding around test tracks ready for their debuts in the next year or two....
    Porsche and Ferrari are 'hyperbrands' competing in 'hypercars'. They would never be a target for WRC.
    What it does show, however, is that few brands are genuinely attracted to full electric for their motorsport programmes. It is certainly dimiishing.
    Hybrid remains the way to go.

I think people can also be a bit too quick too write off the appeal of WRC. I mean, christ, 3 of the top 5 brands in the entire world are competing in it!

15. Likes: pantealex (21st July 2022)
    Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Andel View Post
    I've heard from several sources that Andreas is not a very pleasant person to deal with. He's very good at playing the media game but in the real world he can be very arrogant. I've also heard of a few cases where he didn't show up for the arranged tests, without an excuse. He doesn't want to pay, which I understand, but at this stage of his career his goal should be the WRC at all costs.

It's true that he wins everything he drives, but against the competition he sits in the car almost every day and still helps with his development. There's no substitute for the time in the car and the setup. And winning in the R5 is different than winning in the WRC.Greater speed and aero completely change the rules of the "game" .

So now he's probably waiting for the new car companies to enter the championship.

So at the end of the day I think he should drive in the WRC, but he's to blame for not driving.
    Well, he was some kind of a playboy in younger years, but he has grown up i presume.
    I don't think arrogant is a valid exuse, several drivers seems quite arrogant thru the years, not like in F1, but still. And they still has a seat, so that can't be a reason.

He is probably the biggest talent that shows that WRC is not good enough in terms of teams and interest, the promoter hasn't did a good enough job to attract more teams and sponsors.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

17. Likes: AndyRAC (21st July 2022)