Page 17 of 141 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Liked 610 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Results are just a requirement for
    a) Ford to keep supporting them in some way (is it really?, seems like Ford doesn't care much about results as long as it's "MSport WRT").
    I think Ford are up on this arrangement, all the risk lies with M-Sport. If they cared about results they'd fully back a Ford team.

If it's as bad as this year they might as well have left for my part.
    I've no doubt the feeling would be mutual.

2. Likes: AnttiL (2nd December 2021),Corcaíoch (3rd December 2021)
    Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Lappi was never an option (he was fixated on a Toyota return), and the door ain't closed yet on Mikkelsen. How is a line up of Breen, Fourmaux, Greensmith as full season drivers with Mikkelsen/Loeb sharing the fourth Puma that bad is beyond me...

Liked 1,091 Times in 489 Posts
    Tinted glasses seem to be in fashion when it comes to M-Sport.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 610 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartijnS View Post
    Indeed..
    There is a new rally in the area of Rally Germany on the 1st and 2nd of July but only 6x 2 stages.
    What about August's round 9?: https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/7...z-rallye-2022/

Ypres has set a June date http://www.rallye-infos.site/le-rall...-mais-la-lerc/

UK will be Republic of Ireland before a world class rally gets organised there.

Doesn't make Germany replacing NZ, but that and Japan are for good intentions anyway.
    Last edited by WRCStan; 2nd December 2021 at 22:49. Reason: Don't want to start war

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    Lappi was never an option (he was fixated on a Toyota return), and the door ain't closed yet on Mikkelsen. How is a line up of Breen, Fourmaux, Greensmith as full season drivers with Mikkelsen/Loeb sharing the fourth Puma that bad is beyond me...
    https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc...-disintegrate/

Sorry, Mikkelsen likely won't be there.

Yep, they are business who's primary goal is to be profitable, not to win or perform well.

Results are just a requirement for
    a) Ford to keep supporting them in some way (is it really?, seems like Ford doesn't care much about results as long as it's "MSport WRT").
    b) Customers to keep paying them (and not go to Hyundai like Loubet and Veiby did, or rather drive WRC2 in a competitive car like Lappi, Mikkelsen and Suninen all did this year)
    But part of their business model is also in raising and "selling" drivers, like Tanak and Evans. Hard to sell anyone if they only get non-competitive drivers.

Personally my long term issue with them is when they try to pretend otherwise (not only in press releases but also in interviews).

My long term issue with some fans is when they defend how this is great. It might be better than one less team, but only to a certain point. If it's as bad as this year they might as well have left for my part. (For someone standing on the road-side of a stage it is still better than less WRC cars for sure).
    Have you already forgotten that M-Sport won the manufacturer title in 2017? And three drivers won rallies with their car that year? And Ogier took two world titles with that car? Next year we'll have new cars and the situation will likely be very equal again, so we could well have three equal teams fighting for the win in every rally. If they had left after 2020, perhaps they wouldn't be coming back now.

I'm totally fine with M-Sport having some gentleman drivers funding the team's survival. And once again, these gentleman drivers don't steal anyone's drives. Right now it seems M-Sport cannot invest in a young driver like they did with Evans and Tänak earlier. And even with them, it wasn't complete investment like Toyota does with Katsuta, I believe both had personal financial backing and for example Elfyn worked in the family business for quite long into his WRC career. These things are never simple or black and white, and we never get to hear the exact details.

And that article where they talk about "development" of the Australian driver like there was actually some results to be achieved...it's just PR talk and some sites allow you to buy that kind of articles where you can "advertise" a driver or team. It's also just business and it makes it possible for us to have awesome rally news for free.

WRC2 is obviously a different story. It seems M-Sport has abandoned the Fiesta Rally2 for now and I don't know how much they are selling them. Maybe now with Brexit, British drivers are more likely to use M-Sport and vice versa?

9. Likes: Corcaíoch (3rd December 2021),EstWRC (3rd December 2021),Jewy46 (3rd December 2021),lancia037 (3rd December 2021),ouvreur (3rd December 2021),seb_sh (3rd December 2021)
    Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Have you already forgotten that M-Sport won the manufacturer title in 2017? And three drivers won rallies with their car that year? And Ogier took two world titles with that car? Next year we'll have new cars and the situation will likely be very equal again, so we could well have three equal teams fighting for the win in every rally. If they had left after 2020, perhaps they wouldn't be coming back now.

I'm totally fine with M-Sport having some gentleman drivers funding the team's survival. And once again, these gentleman drivers don't steal anyone's drives. Right now it seems M-Sport cannot invest in a young driver like they did with Evans and Tänak earlier. And even with them, it wasn't complete investment like Toyota does with Katsuta, I believe both had personal financial backing and for example Elfyn worked in the family business for quite long into his WRC career. These things are never simple or black and white, and we never get to hear the exact details.

And that article where they talk about "development" of the Australian driver like there was actually some results to be achieved...it's just PR talk and some sites allow you to buy that kind of articles where you can "advertise" a driver or team. It's also just business and it makes it possible for us to have awesome rally news for free.

WRC2 is obviously a different story. It seems M-Sport has abandoned the Fiesta Rally2 for now and I don't know how much they are selling them. Maybe now with Brexit, British drivers are more likely to use M-Sport and vice versa?

They most definately have'nt abandoned the R2. They have been working on 5 jokers for the car which they hope to be ready for the start of next yr. They are desperate to get this car back on the pace for the huge income it brings.

11. Likes: AnttiL (3rd December 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    They most definately have'nt abandoned the R2. They have been working on 5 jokers for the car which they hope to be ready for the start of next yr. They are desperate to get this car back on the pace for the huge income it brings.
    That's good to hear. Remember that R2 (which is Rally4) is something else than Rally2 (which is R5)

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Maybe now with Brexit, British drivers are more likely to use M-Sport and vice versa?
    I think that Brexit actually made M-Sport services cheaper for EU customers.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump