Page 98 of 141 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,460 Times in 834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ictus View Post
    better check your facts...
    I'm sorry did I miss something? Did Loeb won with the i20 anything? Besides being on the podium in Chile 2019 & Turkey 2020, did Loeb win anything with the i20 Coupe on Gravel? let alone Tarmac?
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I'm sorry did I miss something? Did Loeb won with the i20 anything? Besides being on the podium in Chile 2019 & Turkey 2020, did Loeb win anything with the i20 Coupe on Gravel? let alone Tarmac?
    Rallye Vosges, Rally di Alba, Rallye Ciudad de Granada and Rallye du Var

Also stage wins in WRC events:

C3 WRC - 9 stage wins / 3 rallies
    i20 WRC - 10 stage wins / 8 rallies
    Puma Rally1 - 10 stage wins / 3 rallies
    Last edited by AnttiL; 18th August 2022 at 19:40.

3. Likes: cali (19th August 2022),Jarek Z (18th August 2022),steve.mandzij (21st August 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Rallye Vosges, Rally di Alba, Rallye Ciudad de Granada and Rallye du Var

Also stage wins in WRC events:

C3 WRC - 9 stage wins / 3 rallies
    i20 WRC - 10 stage wins / 8 rallies
    Puma Rally1 - 10 stage wins / 3 rallies
    I meant in the WRC, but yeah I see your point lol.

5. Likes: Jarek Z (18th August 2022),pantealex (19th August 2022)
    Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
    Latvala: "Our 2023 line-ups are not finalized yet"

As in F1, there is always a game of bluff in the WRC transfer window. And clauses sometimes making it possible to get rid of existing contracts. We know that Ford is looking for a top driver because its 2022 line-up is proving to be a bit "light", Hyundai claims that Ott Tanak's contract goes beyond three years and wants to keep the Estonian who in the end would probably be better than at Toyota where he no longer got along with boss Tommi Makinen at the time.

Like the manager of Thierry Neuville who, according to a very good source, had grilled himself at Toy by landing with too high claims, Marko Martin, the manager of Tanak had typed too high. But after filling his pockets for three years, the 2019 champion might want to face Rovanpera on equal terms. But is there still a place among the Japanese? Are the contracts of Elfyn Evans, a little disappointing this year, and Esapekka Lappi concrete? We put the question to Jari-Matti Latvala, Toyota's sporting director in rallying.

Is there still a spare seat at Toyota for 2023? "Our line-up for next year is not yet fully defined. We are still working on it," admitted the Finn very frankly. Are we therefore going to witness an unexpected transfer as with Fernando Alonso who left suddenly for Aston Martin when everyone expected to see him stay with Alpine? Can Ott Tanak or even Thierry Neuville create a surprise by joining the opposing camp? It's unlikely but probably not impossible. Apart from these two, Toyota has no interest in looking elsewhere. On the other hand, we must be worried about Adrien Fourmaux or even Craig Breen. Because we honestly wonder if Andreas Mikkelsen or Stéphane Lefèbvre wouldn't do a better job at the wheel of the Puma...

https://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/...IN7RXO3BMTSGQ/

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    I think Japanese (Toyoda) might still be a bit pissed off at Tanak for the way he left so they will put a foot down if Latvala proposes it.

Liked 300 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I think Japanese (Toyoda) might still be a bit pissed off at Tanak for the way he left so they will put a foot down if Latvala proposes it.
    Yes. Japanese culture is a bit different thing.

Liked 2,115 Times in 914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    Yes. Japanese culture is a bit different thing.
    Tänak brought Toyota WDC and showed incredible speed of the car. He had/has good relationship w Toyoda.
    Only one to blame and point fingers to Tänak's move to Hyundai is Mäkinen at that time(or his other ,,problematic'' side) and lack if enthusiasm? then to offer him proper deal.
    Mäkinen/his wife/team was sacked year later and basically nothing heard of him after that..

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Toyodas official communication immediatelly after Spain 2019 and before Australia 2019 seemed to show he was upset with Tanak and I keep hearing Japanese are big on loyalty. Then Australia didn't happen so Toyota couldn't win manu title (if Tanak helped them there sure it would help).

"Rally Hokkaido" here is likely the best to comment on the topic (if he can).

Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Wow, didn’t even think about this. That’s a long gap from last gravel win

But then again, Tänaks last tarmac win is also from 2019, Germany

Maybe it will change this week? Who knows
    It did!! Finally, we should always have this chat before the rally

12. Likes: cali (21st August 2022),EstWRC (21st August 2022)
    Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Tänak brought Toyota WDC and showed incredible speed of the car. He had/has good relationship w Toyoda.
    Only one to blame and point fingers to Tänak's move to Hyundai is Mäkinen at that time(or his other ,,problematic'' side) and lack if enthusiasm? then to offer him proper deal.
    Mäkinen/his wife/team was sacked year later and basically nothing heard of him after that..
    Well, Makinen is the guy who built this Toyota team with a flexible structure and makes them able to win 2 championships in 3 years without Ogier (1st brand since 2008 to win a championship without one Seb).
    And clearly at that time, it was not a VW-type structure, it was a more flexible one even if he had the money.
    And in the end, even if Tanak’s stint with Hyundai is not awful, the result is not too bad for Toyota (remember also that Rovanpera was a clear Makinen’s choice even before Tanak’s exit)

I Don’t say Makinen has no flaw but you don’t do this with a certain personality. And in the end, Toyota doesn’t have really to complain about Makinen’s job; it’s more Tanak who could think about what could have happened if he had stayed in Toyota.

And to come back on the topic, I don’t really see the point for Toyota to sign Tanak; ok, he is a competitor but they have the potential next big thing with Rovanpera; why would they mess up with him for a 35-yo guy? (Reminds me about the Loeb-Ogier 2011 feud where, in the end, Citroen lost everything by firing Ogier who kick their asses during 6 years and then ashamed them by forcing their exit).
    Last edited by Danny0405; 21st August 2022 at 17:27.

14. Likes: steve.mandzij (21st August 2022)