Page 40 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
    Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    Ott Tanak is confident he will be able to “fight hard” for success in the 2022 World Rally Championship despite Hyundai’s late start in developing its new Rally1 machine.

The 2019 world champion endured a frustrating 2021 campaign claiming more stage wins than any of his rivals, but witnessed victories slip from his grasp due to reliability issues.

Tanak, who missed last year’s final round in Monza due to personal reasons, is eager to kick off the 2022 season which presents a fresh start, courtesy of the WRC’s embracing hybrid technology as part of new Rally1 regulations.

Although Hyundai was the last of the three marques to commit to the 2022 rules, Tanak has been impressed by the work undergone to create and develop the all-new i20, that is set to take on Toyota and M-Sport Ford, beginning at the Monte Carlo Rally on the 20-23 January.

The Korean brand was also the last team to unveil the final iteration of its car, which only began testing in late November. The operation is also without a permanent team principal following Andrea Adamo’s departure last month.

“Let’s say the last two years have not been too successful, so for sure it is a good chance for me to work with the guys and put a good strong car together,” Tanak, who finished fifth in the 2021 standings, told Motorsport.com.

“It is good to see at the moment, and even if we started a bit late and a being a bit behind in our development, that the people are still working hard. I’m sure we can fight hard this year.

“There is really no idea what is the gap [to the opposition] or what the situation is at the moment. It is really challenging for everyone.

“We have been focussing on our own job and as long as we are happy with what we have done, we should be proud. If we keep working and try to achieve our goals, and if we can do that, then I’m sure we are going to be strong.

“It [the car] is slowly getting there. The potential is there and it seems to be a good package, so we just need to learn and understand where the window is for this car and how it is working.”

Hyundai alongside rivals Toyota and M-Sport face a voyage into the unknown at Monte Carlo with reliability a huge concern for all the teams as their brand new hybrid cars tackle the challenging asphalt stages for the first time.

Not only will the use of hybrid power provide a challenge, but the cars will also run with significantly less aero and reduced suspension travel, and without a centre differential, courtesy of the new rules.

Such are the unknowns surrounding the cars, Tanak believes reliability will be more important than outright performance in Monte Carlo.

“To start the year reliability will be crucial,” he added.

“I guess in the beginning we just need some good mileage experience and score points, so for sure the reliability is more a priority than the performance, but let’s see.

“The guys are doing their best and hopefully it will work out.”

Tanak will be joined by teammates Thierry Neuville and new signing Oliver Solberg for a pre-event test in France next week ahead of the season opener.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...2-wrc/7086786/
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 139 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    As above, there are plenty of rival drinks companies who get good coverage on Red Bull TV; I don't think it's an issue.......
    I remember seeing this helmet cam footage directly on redbull.tv - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIrnJCRDj4s - as a separate full leanght feature

3. Likes: AndyRAC (5th January 2022)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Yeah, 'The Redcar Rocket'.....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 9,342 Times in 4,961 Posts
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 7th January 2022 at 11:42.

2022 WRC News & Rumours

Evans: Battery use "critical" on WRC stage times

The WRC will embrace hybrid technology for the first time this season as part of new sweeping Rally1 regulations set to make their debut at the Monte Carlo Rally later this month.

The introduction of hybrid power will present drivers with extra power boosts to be used on each stage, resulting in all-new cars being capable of producing 500 horsepower in short bursts.

The addition of a mandatory Compact Dynamics 100kW hybrid unit to each car has made the machines heavier than their predecessors, while the new Rally1 rules include a tougher safety cell, reduction in aero and suspension travel and the removal of the centre differential. A sequential gearshift has been introduced to replace paddle shift.

However, the extra 130bhp hybrid power is the biggest of the changes, requiring drivers to regenerate power through the stages under braking to receive power boosts that are initiated by using the throttle, and end once the foot comes off the pedal.

Drivers will only receive boosts during the stages if they can regenerate 30 kilojoules of energy under braking to create what is known as a "valid regen", while the amount of extra power available is determined by the FIA, the nature of the stage and its length.

Capped by the FIA, each driver will start every stage with the battery at 80% with the aim of ending the stage with a state of charge of 30%. The battery will return to around 80% through regeneration on the road section before the next stage.

Heading into Monte Carlo drivers and teams are still understanding the full potential of the system, but Toyota's Evans believes managing the hybrid system correctly could prove crucial for stage times at points during the season.

"I think hybrid is something very new that we are all still finding out about," Evans, the WRC runner-up for the last two seasons, told Motorsport.com.

"What we do know is the amount of deployment we have is controlled by the FIA, and of course if the deployment is at a high level, then that has quite an effect on the acceleration of the car.

"If you generate far less of those accelerations, then your stage time is massively hurt by that.

"The battery at its most powerful is worth over 100 horsepower. You only need a few of those accelerations from slow junctions where you don't have it, for it to have a massive effect.

"Of course it is critical element of driving, I think it is going to be probably more critical in some event than others.

"If you are racing in a slippery event then it is less crucial, but if you are on dry tarmac you can make full use of that

While testing has increased in recent months, Evans says he is still not where "he wants to be" in terms of being comfortable in the new GR Yaris that is significantly different to last year.

"Everything feels very very new and very very different to before. Okay it is still a four wheel drive rally car, but there is still a lot things that are new," he added.

"The whole way the car is working is completely different, and that is even before you consider the hybrid, to be honest. There is a lot of new things and a lot of new sensations let's say on the car and that is something you have to get used to.

"I would say [testing has been] okay. Like always with new cars it is never completely straight forward.

"You never seem to have quite enough time to get through what you need to get through. It is really hard to judge because you have no gauge of where you are.

"Personally I still feel I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm sure there will be many others in the same position.

"I would consider myself a fussy driver in terms of set up and when things are so new. I appreciate it is going to take some time. I still feel there is some work to do to reach the maximum levels of confidence."

All teams will conduct a pre-event test in France next week ahead of the Monte Carlo Rally from 20-23 January.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...times/7112459/

7. Likes: AnttiL (7th January 2022)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Is it mandatory using the batterypack on stages? And using too much power will be punished in some way by FIA?
    Am I correct, or not?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Is it mandatory using the batterypack on stages? And using too much power will be punished in some way by FIA?
    Am I correct, or not?
    You can turn the hybrid system off. I think the unit just stops working at 30% charge.

Not using the electric motor on designated electric only zones will result in a report to the stewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Am I correct, or not?
    I would assume the team will set up the torque maps and ensure the systems wont allow the battery to drop below the minimum (30%). The driver can basically use 50% of the charged battery power (80% at the start of a stage, down to 30% by the end) and all the rest must be regenerated power.

As for any FIA penalties, I don't think they have been published.

Elfyn Evan's doesn't sound very happy with the short time available adapting to the hybrid system. Quite a contrast to Craig Breen who says he's really comfortable with the Puma having had a lot of testing time.

2022 WRC News & Rumours

Breen sounds comfortable with everything no matter what you ask…
    Last edited by EstWRC; 7th January 2022 at 13:10.

13. Likes: er88 (7th January 2022),Katvala (23rd January 2022),pantealex (7th January 2022),WRCStan (7th January 2022)