Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Let's stay realistic now. WRC is niche and ERC is even more. The smaller it gets, the smaller the potential audience.

On top of everything, it seems like everyone is trying to establish their own platform. There won't be enough subscribers to make all of them financially viable as at one point people will need to decide what they follow and what not. They'll need to bundle it with their other series.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

2. Likes: AndyRAC (4th November 2021),Corcaíoch (4th November 2021),Jarek Z (4th November 2021),m-ast (4th November 2021),pantealex (5th November 2021)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Let's stay realistic now. WRC is niche and ERC is even more. The smaller it gets, the smaller the potential audience.
    It beggars belief that people still aren't getting this. So we'll have the 2 main international series stuck behind a paywall; how on earth is that going to help?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

4. Likes: steve.mandzij (4th November 2021)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    This is true, but it also depends what else they do. They could for example stream ERC powerstage (if it happens) also on Youtube.. maybe they will make a highlights programme that is distributed further afield than just Eurosport? All-live is for the hardcore fans but as long as the freely available stuff is decent it doesn’t have to be negative that All-Live is behind a paywall.

Just pray that the Youtube output is better than what they provide for WRC2.

Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Let's stay realistic now. WRC is niche and ERC is even more.
    Yes, exactly. How many people actually watch it? Looking at the live broadcast from Azores no more than 6000 viewers. And how many of them watch it really live? 300 - 400 viewers? That's not many, to put it mildly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdMjBLlv3g
    Last edited by Jarek Z; 4th November 2021 at 20:05.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

7. Likes: AndyRAC (5th November 2021)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    Yes, exactly. How many people actually watch it? Looking at the live broadcast from Azores no more than 6000 viewers. And how many of them watch it really live? 300 - 400 viewers? That's not many, to put it mildly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdMjBLlv3g
    It’s normally more than that watching live but it’s still not big numbers. This suggests ERC Live might have to be bundled with WRC live (and cost increased) to make it viable. Do we know now many subscribers WRC All-Live has and how many are typically watching?

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Surely ERC will have to be bundled in with WRC All Live, at least. 'All live' gets more content, ERC gets on a level platform with the WRC (whether that's good enough is another question). I've got to say, it would make it more likely that I'd subscribe to 'All Live'. I got stung for the full price in 2020 and this year only used the few free months I got as recompense for that, first year I haven't paid for it. Only seeing half the rallies live has really affected my interest, particularly towards the end of the season. If it stays around the same price, it makes All live better value. That said, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have ERC 'All Live' on You Tube, where it could be an advert for ERC and WRC All Live. Though that'd presumably rely on each ERC having a national tourist authority to pay for it...
    Last edited by the sniper; 4th November 2021 at 23:05.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (5th November 2021),WRCStan (4th November 2021)
    Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    It beggars belief that people still aren't getting this. So we'll have the 2 main international series stuck behind a paywall; how on earth is that going to help?
    For live sport it's acceptable to me. What other live sport do you get that isn't paid for by subscription, advertising or a license? I would assume ERC Promotor wants to find free-to-air broadcasters for TV highlight shows like WRC.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    For live sport it's acceptable to me. What other live sport do you get that isn't paid for by subscription, advertising or a license? I would assume ERC Promoter wants to find free-to-air broadcasters for TV highlight shows like WRC.
    A few off the top of my head, just in motorsport; Nurburgring (VLN) series, Blancpain GT series, the European Le Mans series all on YouTube, IMSA Weathertech on the series website, the last rounds of the Hard Enduro series on RedBull TV; all free to view. And there are others.

They obviously think rallying is a bigger sport than it actually is - and a paywall is the way to go. I've news for them - it isn't.
    Last edited by AndyRAC; 5th November 2021 at 10:15.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

13. Likes: m-ast (5th November 2021),WRCStan (5th November 2021)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Let's look at it the other way. Current free ERC coverage is simply bad and there is little reason for it to continue like that.

If you want better coverage you need more money from somewhere. They chose to get it from paid subscription. The long term thinking about that is subscription -> better coverage -> sell coverage to more customers/tv channels etc.

Where do you suggest the money should come from, especially if rally is a tiny sport?
    Some big sponsors suddenly appearing out of the sky?

...or do you think that crap coverage for little funds (and for free) should stay?

-----------------------
    Well the number of spectators at the rally is limited and will likely stay limited or even become more limited in the next few years (COVID, travel costs etc...). The number of "possible" online spectators is unlimited in comparison.
    So for long term the sport needs to aim for online spectators.

The really big discussion is if it should aim for online "live" spectators or "watch cool vids later" spectators.

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Subscription doesn't give you more money, it makes the product more exclusive and nothing more.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.