Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

NETFLIX - Schumacher

NETFLIX Schumacher has been released. I found it very enjoyable and touched even the controversial aspects and the self-reflection he had to do after Senna die. Also thought it had good depth as it also showed his personal side with his family.

Link to trailer below

https://youtu.be/OQs9ZtdZjY0

2. Likes: The Black Knight (20th September 2021)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I watched it and it brought a tear to my eye, especially opening up on what he was like as a family man and as a child. It explains a lot of his demeanor throughout his racing career, and how he wasn't comfortable with all the attention that was afforded to him. It's really tragic what happened to him and hopefully we'll get to see him in the public eye again some time. Unfortunately, from what Corinna was saying I have my doubts this will ever happen.

I really enjoyed the documentary overall.

4. Likes: F1nKS (20th September 2021)
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    One thing I thought the Schumacher family may have been signaling whether intentionally or not - the NETFLIX documentary was closing out the
    story on Michael, and opening up the book on Mick.

2nd thing - Michael played an instrumental part in helping Mercedes become the team they are.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 20th September 2021 at 12:18.

6. Likes: Fortitude (6th November 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    One thing I thought the Schumacher family may have been signaling whether intentionally or not - the NETFLIX documentary was closing out the
    story on Michael, and opening up the book on Mick.

2nd thing - Michael played an instrumental part in helping Mercedes become the team they are.

Huge! That's why I consider him the GOAT. Hamilton may be driving the car but he's bearing the fruits of Michael and Ross Brawns labour. The foundation of the current Mercedes team were laid ten years ago. He's instrumental in the two greatest periods of dominance in F1 history. No one else can say that and it's one record I believe Michael will hold onto forever.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I watched it a while back, and thought overall it was done fairly well. The background into his early year and continued dedication to the mechanical work and interaction with the crews was great to see.

Though always controversial through the years, one of the most well rounded and complete drivers ever to race, without a doubt. And through his career, he always seemed to enjoy and celebrate every win as if it was the first, always seemingly new to the thrill.

Also agreed that the input and experience of the MS/Brawn combo was huge to the Merc team. Though bested on track by Nico, he was at the time pretty much beyond the competitive racing years for the sport, and still did a lot for the team. So many great drives over the years, it's hard to keep track of the best ones.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I watched it a while back, and thought overall it was done fairly well. The background into his early year and continued dedication to the mechanical work and interaction with the crews was great to see.

Though always controversial through the years, one of the most well rounded and complete drivers ever to race, without a doubt. And through his career, he always seemed to enjoy and celebrate every win as if it was the first, always seemingly new to the thrill.

Also agreed that the input and experience of the MS/Brawn combo was huge to the Merc team. Though bested on track by Nico, he was at the time pretty much beyond the competitive racing years for the sport, and still did a lot for the team. So many great drives over the years, it's hard to keep track of the best ones.
    As much as I like Hamilton and Senna, I can't think of driver that put in as many great drives as Schumacher did. How he brought the 1998 championship down to the last race in Japan or won 3 races with that heap in 1996 I'll never know. He raised the bar on fitness, redefined what it meant to work closely with an engineer and team. What Hamilton has contributed to the sport pales by comparison. They'll still be talking about Schumacher in 100 years time, not Hamilton.

Schumacher = GOAT

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    No offence but GOAT doesn't apply or work in any sport that is mostly equipment based.. especially with varying spells of equipment dominance if you think WDC count actually means something. Case in point Vettel won 3 WDC's in a dominant car but has generally been not much greater than average since.

I also wish people would stop comparing drivers from the different era's which required very different skill sets.

I see Lewis as a great, Michael as a great and Ayrton as a great but the different era's required different skill sets, and so are largely incomparable... also, they are just the best of a tiny, tiny bunch of extremely fortunate kids.

I don't understand all this hero worship stuff that some of you seem to suffer from.
    To put things into perspective, if F1 was purely talent based like some other sports and accessible to the whole worlds population, there is probably a fairly high chance that none of the current drivers would have made it onto the grid.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    No offence but GOAT doesn't apply or work in any sport that is mostly equipment based.. especially with varying spells of equipment dominance if you think WDC count actually means something. Case in point Vettel won 3 WDC's in a dominant car but has generally been not much greater than average since.

I also wish people would stop comparing drivers from the different era's which required very different skill sets.

I see Lewis as a great, Michael as a great and Ayrton as a great but the different era's required different skill sets, and so are largely incomparable... also, they are just the best of a tiny, tiny bunch of extremely fortunate kids.

I don't understand all this hero worship stuff that some of you seem to suffer from.
    To put things into perspective, if F1 was purely talent based like some other sports and accessible to the whole worlds population, there is probably a fairly high chance that none of the current drivers would have made it onto the grid.
    Quite true. I've never understood the arguments and really none of them won multiple WDC's in crap cars, and nobody ever will.

The most we can judge directly is against the same team... and even that gets skewed quite a bit from time to time.

All the drivers with the big records were fortunate enough to end up on a dominant team at one point or another, and that is how their records kept climbing. That being said, there has been a lot of talent through the F1 field over time, and the drivers raised the bar quite a bit over the years. As for drivers vs the era they raced in, a totally different game over the years. As more tech creeped in, there was a lot more brain power vs just straight up driving skill. The new cars are fairly complex with a lot of things to keep track of, but I'm not sure the drivers that came up through the current era could take earlier cars to the pace they were pushed to either.

But no matter what.... people will still look for the best. I'd definitely include Schumacher up in the list, and probably within the top 3. But the numbers alone don't add up to great drivers IMHO.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quite true. I've never understood the arguments and really none of them won multiple WDC's in crap cars, and nobody ever will.

The most we can judge directly is against the same team... and even that gets skewed quite a bit from time to time.

All the drivers with the big records were fortunate enough to end up on a dominant team at one point or another, and that is how their records kept climbing. That being said, there has been a lot of talent through the F1 field over time, and the drivers raised the bar quite a bit over the years. As for drivers vs the era they raced in, a totally different game over the years.
    I totally agree, my post wasn't a dig at any of these champions at all. I rate them all highly but I could never single one out over the others, nor would it be right and fair to even attempt that for the reasons given.

As more tech creeped in, there was a lot more brain power vs just straight up driving skill. The new cars are fairly complex with a lot of things to keep track of, but I'm not sure the drivers that came up through the current era could take earlier cars to the pace they were pushed to either.
    Yes, that could probably also work both ways with earlier drivers struggling to cope (at least initially) with the huge multi tasking workload required by the current cars. I could be wrong but I imagine they wouldn't be over enamoured with that.
    I know Senna much preferred simplicity and felt that way when the cars started getting far more complex close to the end.

But no matter what.... people will still look for the best. I'd definitely include Schumacher up in the list, and probably within the top 3. But the numbers alone don't add up to great drivers IMHO.
    Agreed.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Huge! That's why I consider him the GOAT. Hamilton may be driving the car but he's bearing the fruits of Michael and Ross Brawns labour. The foundation of the current Mercedes team were laid ten years ago. He's instrumental in the two greatest periods of dominance in F1 history. No one else can say that and it's one record I believe Michael will hold onto forever.
    You assume the Mercedes car remained the same since the Schumacher years. The regulations for subsequent years after Schumacher left Mercedes meant Rosberg and Hamilton had to help redefine the car for subsequent regulations. So it would be grossly unfair to attribute all of Mercedes subsequent improvements to Schumacher alone. But that is not to say he was not instrumental in steering Mercedes in the right direction in their early days. The Mercedes was not a dominant car until the engine changed to the hybrid format. Most of Mercedes early strength was in their engine and Redbull still had the best chassis but underpowered Renault engines. Most of the progress on the Mercedes chassis happened after Schumacher and Ross Brawn had left. It took three seasons into the hybrid era before Mercedes got their cornering speed sorted. By 2018, they were just as fast as Redbull through the twisties.

I am a huge fan of Schumacher mind you. On who is the GOAT in F1, is an open debate. But one thing is certain, it is jointly shared between Schumacher and Hamilton at the moment. With Hamilton marginally ahead on records. How they accomplished their title wins is quite similar to a large extent. Hence, it is very much a matter of personal preference at the moment.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 7th November 2021 at 15:15.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare