Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - RACE RESULT
    24 26 Sep 2021 Sochi Autodrom, Sochi

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ce-result.html

MAX VERSTAPPEN
    Verstappen amazed: I definitely didn't expect this result!

26th Sept 2021, ‎15‎:‎16
    Author Anna Francis

Max Verstappen expressed his amazement at climbing from the back of the grid to second in a dramatic Russian Grand Prix.

Max Verstappen admits he was surprised to claim second place in the Russian Grand Prix after starting from the back of the grid.

The Dutchman had worked his way through the field during the race but was able to gain the most ground due to the rain that hit in the final laps, with Red Bull making the call to switch to Intermediate tyres at the ideal time.

The decision enabled Verstappen to take second behind title rival Lewis Hamilton.

"It was pretty tricky on the in lap to make the call to go to Inters," Verstappen told Sky Sports. "I think we decided at the right time to pit.

"To come from last to second is very, very good. The race itself was not very easy as it was very difficult to pass, and once you got stuck it was very easy to damage your tyres. The rain helped us to make that last jump.

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...ct-this-result

Horner: "It feels like a victory for Max Verstappen today"
    26-09-2021 15:11 | Updated: 26-09-2021 15:23
    by Matt Gretton

Christian Horner says Max Verstappen's P2 "feels like a win". The Dutchman decided to take his new engine this weekend and therefore started from the back of the grid for the Russian Grand Prix. For a while, it looked like Verstappen was stuck in P7 but he benefited from the rain at the end.

It was all about damage limitation for Verstappen. Mercedes remain unbeaten in Sochi, but Hamilton only holds a two-point lead in the World Championship. This gap was expected to be much bigger before the Grand Prix started.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/95004...pen-today.html

Verstappen more like my father than Hamilton – Hunt
    SEPTEMBER 26, 2021

Max Verstappen, not Lewis Hamilton, is the new ‘James Hunt’ of Formula 1.

That is the claim not of a random pundit, but the son of F1 legend James Hunt himself – 31-year-old Freddie.

“2021 is probably the best season I’ve ever experienced,” Hunt told Sport1.

“It’s similar to 1976 – extremely close and exciting. However, my dad and Niki Lauda were friends. Max and Lewis are clearly not.”

Some have suggested the culturally-relevant and fashion-minded Hamilton is like a new James Hunt for Formula 1 – but Freddie doesn’t see it that way.

“Verstappen is more like my father than Lewis is. Actually, Lewis is not like my father at all.”

However, he says neither of them have the mutual respect that Hunt and Lauda shared.

“They had more respect for each other and left more space in a battle. They knew that if they raced too hard, you could kill your friend,” Hunt said.

He uses Verstappen’s 51G crash and brief hospitalisation as one example.

https://grandpx.news/verstappen-more...hamilton-hunt/

Horner/Wolff respond to Stewart’s Verstappen criticism
    Date published: September 26 2021 - Jamie Woodhouse

Red Bull principal Christian Horner did not want to directly say Verstappen was Formula 1’s fastest, but does feel his driver has shown a great level of maturity.

“Of course I always respect Sir Jackie’s opinion but I think Max has shown great maturity this year and, of course, you’re always evolving, always learning and I’m sure Sir Jackie made a few mistakes in his time,” said Horner in response to a question from The Daily Mail.

“So that’s the journey of life. I think you learn from every experience and I think when you see the progression from a 17 year-old, when he came into Formula 1, to the driver he is today, it’s pretty impressive.”

Pushed again on whether Verstappen is the outright fastest, Horner replied: “It’s always going to be subjective and open to debate. I’m just glad he’s driving our car.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...cism-response/

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!

Did you do the rain dance today... or are you the real messiah? What's your beef with Lando anyway?

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    "Several sources are stating that it was in fact again the break magic button defeating Lewis that caused the incident. Surprising being that it's been in use for quite a while apparently, and the issue has bit him twice this year."-Shifter .

In this case , it was in the pits , and could have hurt the jack-man badly , but the first was in racing circumstances where it could have been much more serious .
    They need to fix it quickly so nobody gets hurt .

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post

Did you do the rain dance today... or are you the real messiah? What's your beef with Lando anyway?
    No beef, I'm cool with him. I'm just having a little fun! + =
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Everyone hear Toto giving "encouragement" to Lewis , saying he could win ?

Was that encouragement , or was the OK to win because Max was close enough to keep that championship close enough ?

Does Lewis really need that encouragement when he'd won 99 times before ?

There's that smell again .
    + =
    + =

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    This was definitely the best Russian GP to date and by quite some margin. I am gutted for Norris, he could have won today had he pitted and he thoroughly deserved his first race win but you have to get it over the line.

If I was Toto I would fire Bottas and replace him immediately with Russell after the way he just let Max by at the start of the race. He has no business driving that car anymore after what he did. He made zero effort to defend and just let him through.

Max made the most of the rain, got a little bit of luck with it.

I've always felt one of Hamilton's achilles heels is he can't judge weather conditions very well. It wad clearly obvious to drivers like Ricciardo etc that they needed to go to inters and he wanted to stay out, meanwhile the team overruled him and he got the race win because of it in what, at the end of the day, was a mediocre race for him.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 26th September 2021 at 15:45.

7. Likes: airshifter (28th September 2021)
    Liked 1,075 Times in 601 Posts
    Boring race until the rain came. Poor Lando but he'll learn.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Terrible pitstop by rbr. There goes p3 minimum for Perez. All his hard work undone
    Perez couldn't catch a break. The terrible pitstop then he got caught out on the wrong part of the track when the rain came in.

10. Likes: airshifter (28th September 2021),N. Jones (26th September 2021)

12. Likes: airshifter (28th September 2021),Bagwan (27th September 2021)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Kimi drove wery well yesterday, cheers Rainman!

14. Likes: airshifter (28th September 2021),Bagwan (27th September 2021),Tazio (27th September 2021),truefan72 (27th September 2021),TWRC (27th September 2021)