Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts

So long Kimi, thanks for the ride!

With the announcement made, I thought it only fitting that we have a thread as a tribute to Kimi.

Before Kimi even had the seat in the Sauber car at the start of his career, he had hurdles in getting his super license. For the sole reason that he didn't have enough races under his belt, with only 23 races in his lower series career. Somehow Peter Sauber convinced Max Mosley to grant the license, and within months it became clear it was the right decision. From the word go Kimi was the hit of the 2001 season as far as newcomers were concerned, and made a big impression.

While at Mclaren, Kimi battled with some of the greats in the sport, and often came out on top. Though it never amounted to a title, both past and future champs always knew he was in the hunt when the car was right. Schumacher, Alonso already had titles in hand, and soon to come would be Hamilton, Vettel, Button, and Rosberg. At some point Kimi got to battle with them all, and often left an impression.

It finally came together for him in 2007 when he moved to Ferrari. With four drivers in contention to become the WDC, it wasn't an easy title. And towards the end of the year when the others made some critical mistakes, Kimi finally emerged on top. I would say Fuji was the race that really made it come together for him, driving to 3rd after being back at 20th after Ferrari rolled the dice and tried to start their drivers on intermediates. Forced to pit early by order of race control, he made his way through a rain soaked field to make it back to the podium with a fellow Finn.

Upon exiting F1, he raced in both WRC and NASCAR. Though not a direction many drivers would take, it's obvious he loved to race. And then he did what we all thought couldn't happen... he came back to F1.

Though he did well with Renault, the second impossible task... a move back to Ferrari, didn't go very well. But at that point he was also racing against a recent 4 time WDC, and it's not as if there wasn't plenty of solid drivers in the field. With the final move to Alpha Romeo, it was pretty much certain that his competitive career was over. But here and there he still managed to catch our attention with some brilliant first laps, overtaking moves, and world class defending.

Though he doesn't have the WDC's of some, he still managed to be only one of a few drivers to top 100 podiums in F1, and has been the only driver to have wins in the V10, V8, and current V6 hybrid era cars. And looking back, I think Kimi might have enjoyed being himself, and that ice cream might have tasted just as good as another title.

Interviews, radio calls, biting his tongue? Forget it... Kimi was always Kimi. The antics out of the car were just as good as the stuff in the car. Gorilla suits, a detour for ice cream during a red flag, a trip straight to the yacht after a DNF? Pure Kimi at his best. He's probably one of the most laid back drivers to ever win a race, much less a title.

I'm not sure how the rest of the viewing world will remember Kimi, but I'll miss him in the sport. One of a kind.

2. Likes: Bagwan (8th September 2021),Fortitude (7th January 2022),gm99 (8th September 2021),Mia 01 (9th September 2021),mr_swiss (8th September 2021),pantealex (8th September 2021),Sulland (8th September 2021),TWRC (11th September 2021)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    "I was having a sh!t." -best quote ever , Kimi .

I'll miss him a lot .

4. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022),pantealex (8th September 2021)
    Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Babye
    May the forza be with you

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    He is the fastest natural talent that will ever drive in F1. And besides, I like him as a person. Will for ever cheer for him whereever he will drive. Kitos Kimi!

7. Likes: airshifter (11th September 2021),Bagwan (10th September 2021),Fortitude (7th January 2022),pantealex (10th September 2021)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    He is the fastest natural talent that will ever drive in F1. And besides, I like him as a person. Will for ever cheer for him whereever he will drive. Kitos Kimi!
    Did you get his book , Mia ?
    If not , I can still send you mine .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    Ah Mia, you are always good for a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Ah Mia, you are always good for a laugh
    Can you name any other drivers with a WDC that spent less time in the lesser series? Most had at least 4-5 times as much times in those types of series, and thus a lot more learned experience. With Kimi, they almost didn't give him a super license. Really Kimi, Lewis, and Fernando are the only ones in the current field that broke through when there was more than one manufacturer with a real shot at the title. Before and after those years, team/car dominance rules the titles.

11. Likes: Mia 01 (12th September 2021),pantealex (11th September 2021),TWRC (11th September 2021)
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Kimi has loads of natural talent, but he lacks in other aspects....dedication...drive....But everything in life is a trade off. You give up one thing for something else. There's only so much time in a day. Kimi would rather be in a gorilla suit than in a simulator. I think that's why we like him. It might be a wise life choice, but it will limit you in other areas (like maybe a 2nd or 3rd WDC).

Like the line in The Shining "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". Kimi didn't want to be the dull boy with 3 WDC. And he had enough natural talent to pretty much compensate for his short comings in other areas, and stay near the top for a long time.

13. Likes: Bagwan (21st September 2021),Fortitude (7th January 2022),Mia 01 (12th September 2021),pantealex (11th September 2021),TWRC (11th September 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Kimi has loads of natural talent, but he lacks in other aspects....dedication...drive....But everything in life is a trade off. You give up one thing for something else. There's only so much time in a day. Kimi would rather be in a gorilla suit than in a simulator. I think that's why we like him. It might be a wise life choice, but it will limit you in other areas (like maybe a 2nd or 3rd WDC).

Like the line in The Shining "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". Kimi didn't want to be the dull boy with 3 WDC. And he had enough natural talent to pretty much compensate for his short comings in other areas, and stay near the top for a long time.

Well said, and I think that is just the way Kimi decided to play his hand.

In the right cars, just as capable as most of the others in winning multiple WDC's. But not willing to give up his entire life and change who he was. For the era he raced in, truly one of a kind.

15. Likes: Bagwan (21st September 2021),Fortitude (7th January 2022),Mia 01 (21st September 2021)
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I will certainly miss Kimi. I've been following him since I was a boy and I really enjoyed following his career. I remember him competing against Schumacher (when F1 was the best) and how much progress he has made. He was pretty decent in WRC, although F1 suits him best.

Farewell Kimi! I'm going to miss you!

17. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022),Mia 01 (21st September 2021)