Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts

Formula 1 Expansion

There was interesting discussion this weekend about expansion in F1. There is high cost bar for a team to just join F1, but there seems to be more talent out there, but is limited by number of seats.

Option A: Toto proposed possibly having teams enter a 3rd car in certain races.

Option B: Horner proposed that F1 needs to add 1 or 2 teams.

Which option would your prefer? Or do you have an option C?

2. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Option A would be good for giving all the backup and/or junior drivers solid competitive GP experience so I'd imagine most teams would vote for that but its Option B for me.
    I'd prefer seeing one or two new No1 drivers giving 100% and fighting rather than a No3 who would either be trundling around at the back or if good enough, forced to work strategically with No2 just to help their No1.

Option C? Let's hear them..

4. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I prefer Option B
    But a possible Option C (although I haven't really thought too much about the details of this idea) - Teams run a third driver in practice and qualifying, but can only enter two drivers into the race.

Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    Why not all of the ideas?
    - If Mercedes wants to run a 3rd car just let them do it!
    - If that rich guy from VIRGIN wants to run 1 car using a Dallara chassis with a Ferrari engine let him do it!
    - If FIA/F1 could make it easier for more teams to join.. then DO IT!
    - Oh, a dutch guy wants to rent a "one year old F1 car" to race in Zandvoort? Cool! Bring it!
    (These "one race only" entries are also cool! Both "random privateer" or a 'full time team' just renting cars for national drivers with enough license points, like Hulk having a car to race in Germany, Nakajima racing
    in Suzuka and an Indycar champ racing in COTA)

7. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Option B has always been _the_ way to add cars/teams for F1 racing. However, the recent decision to raise the cost of entry to 200M made it impossible for new teams to enter this sport.