Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    If he managed to get out, he could have limped to the pits and have the car fixed and maybe salvaged the situation with a point or two.
    I doubt it, not for a rear wing, they take too long to change nowadays.

Anyone know the actual time it takes to change a rear wing these days? I haven't seen a team do it in race for a very long time.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    He would have cooked the engine while waiting for the Redbull to be removed. Attempting to reverse out as quickly as possible was the only play available.
    These cars can be restarted with the power in the batteries .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Even if his car wasn't beached or damaged... By the time the crane would have lifted Max's car off Lewis it would likely have been far too late to get back into the race to achieve any worthwhile result.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Even if his car wasn't beached or damaged... By the time the crane would have lifted Max's car off Lewis it would likely have been far too late to get back into the race to achieve any worthwhile result.
    But , It would have been heroic , eh ?

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    These cars can be restarted with the power in the batteries .
    Assuming he can restart it after such a shunt.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I doubt it, not for a rear wing, they take too long to change nowadays.

Anyone know the actual time it takes to change a rear wing these days? I haven't seen a team do it in race for a very long time.
    I agree, it would have been a long shot at best.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    But , It would have been heroic , eh ?
    Well, I'd certainly have been impressed with his presence of mind to have read and processed the whole situation so well to have opted to wait .. but...if he then came back to win I'd also 100% be doffing my hat to your Merc sandbagging conspiracy theory.

Tbh, I think I'd have just being rolling on the floor laughing at the huge psychological blow just experienced by Max... and how that was going to impact future races. Viewing figures would be going through the roof.

Interesting development

Redbull's Horner thinks Hamilton who was the victim of the Monza crash where he had to used his head to prop the Redbull as it bounced over the Mercedes should have been penalized with the same penalty that the stewards issued to Verstappen for his part in the crash. I did not hear him advocate that at Silverstone.

How about that?
    William Shakespeare

Interesting development

Redbull's Horner thinks Hamilton who was the victim of the Monza crash where he had to used his head to prop the Redbull as it bounced over the Mercedes should have been penalized with the same penalty that the stewards issued to Verstappen for his part in the crash. I did not hear him advocate that at Silverstone.

How about that?
    What about that?

Are you suggesting that because the wheel drove over his head, that should be a key point on whether he deserves a punishment or not?

How is that even relevant?

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I think what need to be put into perspective here is that Verstappens crash into Hamilton in Monza was actually a lot more dangerous than the incident between the two in Silverstone. Verstappen went in sideways into the barrier, this is the best possible angle one can crash at. Even 20 years ago Verstappen would have come out of that crash with little more than a scratch and I remember Michael Schumacher having a very similar incident in Copse at around the same speed in one of the free practice sessions many years ago and he went onto race the next day.

On the other hand, had the Monza crash occurred 4 seasons ago, it is almost certain it would have been fatal for Hamilton, or at the very best he would have ended up crippled for the remainder of his life.

I agree however that this is not relevant to the punishment but I think people seem to think just because it's 51G it's more critical, but that's not the case.