Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
Results 391 to 400 of 400
  1. #391
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,962
    Like
    316
    Liked 3,049 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    you know very well why he is 4th in the championship but somehow you always forget these reasons. Put the 50 points to his score that he lost with certain wins in Portugal and Sardegna and he would be third the championship just behind Evans and not so far from Ogier.

    Yes, stagnated on tarmac, with that i agree.

    BTW Tänak got the same amount podiums + win with last years short season than Mikkelsen got with two full seasons in Hyundai. Brings some perspective.
    Number of competetive teams (and drivers) in championship. After 2019 it went from 4 teams and 8-ish drivers to 2 teams and 4-5 drivers.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Mikkelsen was actually doing quite well in the Hyundai, especially on technical gravel. Instantly in his first three events he was leading Spain and Australia after first days. It was quite often technical problems or punctures ruining the rallies (like Argentina and Sardinia 2018, retired from lead). But in some rallies he was just lost and off the pace. All tarmac rallies, as well as Chile, Wales and Spain 2019.
    You forgot retiring from 40s lead over Tanak in Turkey 2018 due to mechanics not doing their job in service (Neuville retired from lead on same rally due to that as well and mechanics got fired (from Nandan)).

    On tarmac that point about not pushing (and crashing) stands well, only Monte 2019 doesn't fit. He had basically two bad non-tarmac rallies as you say. In that period Neuville had quite a few bad rallies in same car as well though, like Sardinia 2019. In fact as was mentioned, Mikkelsen got as many points as Neuville from the rallies he entered after getting kicked for Portugal (Sardinia, Finland, Germany, Turkey, GB), even though this run included 2 "bad" rallies and he explicitly wasn't allowed to push on any PS.

  2. #392
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,962
    Like
    316
    Liked 3,049 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Actually I am kind of happy about this.

    Huttunen doing a "Suninen" on Hyundai after getting constantly ignored no matter results? But where to, it doesn't seem he has money.

    "For free" in Fiesta Rally2? Doesn't sound like very good deal either.
    Last edited by mknight; Today at 09:16.

  3. #393
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,962
    Like
    316
    Liked 3,049 Times in 1,642 Posts
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/exper...m-sport-breen/

    Breen basically repeats what we said here. That "one driver" team at MSport, just like Citroen was in 2017 might be quite risky.

    Interestingly though Loeb only ever drove for Citroen, even though with 4 different cars.

  4. #394
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    7,814
    Like
    6,953
    Liked 8,273 Times in 3,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Actually I am kind of happy about this.

    Huttunen doing a "Suninen" on Hyundai after getting constantly ignored no matter results? But where to, it doesn't seem he has money.

    "For free" in Fiesta Rally2? Doesn't sound like very good deal either.
    Huttunen has had own sponsor decals in his car all the time

  5. #395
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    962
    Like
    0
    Liked 284 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Actually I am kind of happy about this.

    Huttunen doing a "Suninen" on Hyundai after getting constantly ignored no matter results? But where to, it doesn't seem he has money.

    "For free" in Fiesta Rally2? Doesn't sound like very good deal either.
    Weird things, when Huttunen was aiming to drive in Hungary. Is it something that Adamo was so happy, when Solans drove to the finish and on the good level that wanted to see him in Hungary instead of Huttunen, who was so slow in Spain (Of course not willing to accept that there was a broken engine in Hyundai)...

    The plan was that Huttunen will drive in Greece, but suddenly the entry was cancelled without the reason (a lack of i20 N Rally2 might be one). During these years we have seen that Adamo is not trusting Huttunen despite the fact that he has been almost the only driver to get good results behind the wheel of the i20 R5.

    Maybe Grönholm and Huttunen are now completely fed up playing with Adamo anymore and the only way was a contact with M-Sport. Of course they have to pay, but is was not free at Hyundai also, so not very different situation.

    Also M-Sport will definitely need top WRC2 driver to achieve at least some results with the Rally2 car next year. On tarmac it´s also possible and maybe Huttunen is able to develop car on gravel. With this situation it would be also possible that Jari could finally drive World Rally Car / Rally1 car in WRC event...
    Last edited by rp; Today at 12:13.

  6. #396
    Senior Member Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    15,750
    Like
    3,023
    Liked 7,388 Times in 3,900 Posts
    Mikkelsen has been around so long now and without really showing WRC rally-winning speed since the end of his VW days.

    He's a nice guy but I'm not sure he still has the hunger to get to the top. He seems to be more of a social media star and you could say even with a bit of a playboy image.

  7. #397
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    29
    Like
    4
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Current generation World Rally Cars will be permitted to compete in next year’s World Rally Championship with a reduced power output
    https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...2022-/6688263/

  8. #398
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    900
    Like
    536
    Liked 685 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Mikkelsen has been around so long now and without really showing WRC rally-winning speed since the end of his VW days.

    He's a nice guy but I'm not sure he still has the hunger to get to the top. He seems to be more of a social media star and you could say even with a bit of a playboy image.
    He really missed the boat in 2017, for whatever reason. Right now he's in a weird spot where he's neither an up and coming young driver nor a proven top driver. Also remember that he has had quite a bit of experience at the top level so you could also consider him a "known quantity" by now. The real problem is probably not so much that others are chosen before Mikkelsen but that there are not enough WRC seats available.

  9. #399
    Senior Member Mirek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Prague / Eastern Bohemia
    Posts
    21,963
    Like
    7,315
    Liked 10,314 Times in 4,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ictus View Post
    Current generation World Rally Cars will be permitted to compete in next year’s World Rally Championship with a reduced power output
    https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...2022-/6688263/
    36 mm restrictor means 1017 mm2 area. 33,7 mm restrictor means 892 mm2. That means the area is reduced to 88%. I can't see how they calculated the power loss to only 30 Hp with 12% less air. IMHO it must be more. That would also make sense because with only 30 Hp reduction the cars would definitely get in the fight with the new cars when driven by proper drivers and when having favourable conditions (road position, tyre selection, weather etc.). I don't think FIA wants that. In my opinion 30 Hp reduction would be too little to remove them from mixing with the new ones even if the new cars were supposed to be as fast as the current ones.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

  10. Likes: dimviii (Today)
  11. #400
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    29
    Like
    4
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    36 mm restrictor means 1017 mm2 area. 33,7 mm restrictor means 892 mm2. That means the area is reduced to 88%. I can't see how they calculated the power loss to only 30 Hp with 12% less air. IMHO it must be more. That would also make sense because with only 30 Hp reduction the cars would definitely get in the fight with the new cars when driven by proper drivers and when having favourable conditions (road position, tyre selection, weather etc.). I don't think FIA wants that. In my opinion 30 Hp reduction would be too little to remove them from mixing with the new ones even if the new cars were supposed to be as fast as the current ones.
    Drivers who drove a factory car in the last 5 years are banned from using thease cars

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •