Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Or maybe the car manufacturers because they decide not invest in this kind of marketing? Or maybe we can blame the world that has changed from the 80's when rallying was still cool?
    It's no longer politically correct to promote motorsport using combustion engines. It's not only about talking heads and noisy activists but also about money. Emission allowances, the invisible but existing issues to get money from banks for politically incorrect projects etc.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: AnttiL (20th November 2021),cali (20th November 2021)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Or maybe the car manufacturers because they decide not invest in this kind of marketing? Or maybe we can blame the world that has changed from the 80's when rallying was still cool?
    Manus are more likely to invest in the cars they want to promote/sell. (without going into the reasons why a particular type is promoted).

For most manus that is now electric, with hybrids beeing a "temporary" solution.

Citroen wanted hybrids 2 years ago, VW basically even earlier.

So you can blame FIA for staying too long with current manu wishes instead of aiming for new ones.
    On the other hand the move to hybrids and electric accelerated in last 2 years. So while it looked ok to keep current cars after 2020 when it was decided in 2018 (I think). It looked like a bad decision basically already at start of 2020.

Rallying should actually work quite well for promoting reliability/range/charging of EVs towards the typical anti-EV crowd (" it will catch fire all the time", "charging takes ages", " no range to do a stage" ...blah blah...).

As to the typical comments about EV marketing not promoting "sporty" driving... even VW now started own sports brand with only hybrid and EVs (Cupra), not to mention GTX versions of the ID family, and RS for Skoda Enyaq. Ford even named the car for Mustang and Tesla is fighting with Porsche for Nurbugring laptimes.
    Last edited by mknight; 20th November 2021 at 19:54.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Manus are more likely to invest in the cars they want to promote/sell. (without going into the reasons why a particular type is promoted).

For most manus that is now electric, with hybrids beeing a "temporary" solution.

Citroen wanted hybrids 2 years ago, VW basically even earlier.

So you can blame FIA for staying too long with current manu wishes instead of aiming for new ones.
    On the other hand the move to hybrids and electric accelerated in last 2 years. So while it looked ok to keep current cars after 2020 when it wad decided in 2018 (I think). It looked like a bad decision basically already at start of 2020.
    You have to take into account that electric/hybrid philosophy is to be green and to save energy - not to waste it in racing. That means that there is rather small chance that manufacturers of electric/hybrid cars would be attracted by a motorsport running through forests and wild nature because that goes against the whole thing promotion. Even if the sport went all electric (which is atm technically hardly possible) we would probably have the same teams involved minus M-Sport.

5. Likes: Eli (13th June 2022),WRC1 (21st November 2021)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    You have to take into account that electric/hybrid philosophy is to be green and to save energy - not to waste it in racing. That means that there is rather small chance that manufacturers of electric/hybrid cars would be attracted by a motorsport running through forests and wild nature because that goes against the whole thing promotion.
    That's your usuall comment, and it's wrong. See the long list of sporty cars getting promoted by EV manus in my post.

Also see Extreme-E, they do a whole series that promotes sustainability by running EVs in wild nature.
    I guess the message is "you can have fun without running on dead dinosaurus".

7. Likes: steve.mandzij (21st November 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I think you are both partly correct. It's increasingly difficult to get any kind of sponsorship for motorsports, but if the car manufacturers are using something to promote their products in motorsports, it's EV's.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    That's your usuall comment, and it's wrong.
    The thing is that we were discussing what if scenario which by simple logic means that we were giving our opinions. Nothing more and nothing less. Neither one was correct or wrong because the subject we discussed was purely hypothetical. So keep your opinion, I will keep mine. For me it's perfectly ok.

10. Likes: AnttiL (20th November 2021),EstWRC (20th November 2021)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Attracting car manufacturers doesn't seem to be a problem for other series........

There is obviously an issue with the sport of rallying, as to why they're not joining. Nobody wants to ask why....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    This thread has gone somewhat off-topic, but anyone know if there is somewhere in the world where the powerstage is shown on free-to-air TV?

That would be a good ambition for the WRC promoter in my opinion. It’s a good and exciting format for TV and could be a good way to hook more people in to paying for All-Live.

13. Likes: AndyRAC (21st November 2021)
    Liked 392 Times in 204 Posts
    In Austria you can watch it on Servus TV (Uncle Red Bulls influencer TV station)

Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Attracting car manufacturers doesn't seem to be a problem for other series........
    I've just looked at WEC, WTCR, F1, the picture isn't pretty. Scrap the idea of having only the manufacturer homologate and run the car is a good start.

Do manufacturers in Extreme E and Formula E anything but sponsorship? It maybe ironic but I don't think Extreme E is sustainable.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

16. Likes: skarderud (21st November 2021)