Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pastrana Headed To The Wrc!!

PASTRANA HEADED TO THE WRC
    Subaru Rally Team USA announces future plans for their star driver Travis Pastrana
    Dec 13, 2006

Subaru Rally Team USA (SRT-USA) announced today that it will enter its 23 year-old star rally driver, Travis Pastrana, in select World Rally Championship events in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Pastrana, in only his second season of rallying won the 2006 Rally America National Championship, becoming the youngest ever American champion. In addition to defending his Rally America title in 2007, Pastrana will drive a Subaru Impreza WRX STI–based rally car in three World Rally Championship (WRC) events in the Group N class. Then in 2008 and 2009 SRT-USA will officially enter Pastrana in the Production World Rally Championship (P-WRC), a support series that runs concurrent with the top tier World Rally Championship.

"Our recently announced 3-year extension with Travis Pastrana as a driver for Subaru Rally Team USA shows our commitment to Travis, the Rally America National Championship, and the sport of Rally", said James Han of Subaru of America, Inc. "The prospect of developing a driving talent such as Travis with the goal of having an American compete successfully at the WRC level is an exciting one. Although the team's primary objective in 2007 will be to retain the Rally America title in our Subaru Impreza WRX STI rally cars, evaluating development opportunities for Travis is also a key priority."

Travis Pastrana and his co-driver Christian Edstrom have dominated rallying in the USA this year driving their BFGoodrich Tire's-shod 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. Pastrana earned four victories, four 2nd place finishes and a Gold medal at the inaugural X Games Rally event where he narrowly beat out his hero and WRC legend Colin McRae. Pastrana's speed and consistency helped him mathematically secure the 2006 Rally America National Championship on the penultimate round of the series. Pastrana at only 23 years-old becomes the youngest ever American rally champion, in only his second year of rallying.

Pastrana began rallying after first becoming a legend on two wheels. He has won a string Amateur National Motocross titles, won the World Freestyle Champion at 14 and is a former 125cc National Motocross and Supercross Champion. Additional achievements include earning Gold in Freestyle MotoX a record six times at the X Games and recently landing the first-ever double back flip in competition. Pastrana will compete against the World's top motorsports stars this weekend, representing the USA at the Race Of Champions in Paris.

The P-WRC is the next logical step in Pastrana's rally career. Pastrana will run on the same roads in the same events as World Rallying's top stars such as Petter Solberg and Sebastien Loeb. The P-WRC will serve as a stepping stone to the top tier WRC where Pastrana aims to become the first-ever American World Rally Champion.

Pastrana's WRC efforts will be managed by Subaru Rally Team USA through Vermont SportsCar, the same outfit that manages his Rally America Championship campaign. Vermont SportsCar has successfully run SRT-USAin 2006 with Pastrana and teammate Ken Block, finishing 1st and 2nd Overall, respectively, in the Rally America National Championship. The team will prepare the Group N Subaru Impreza rally cars for Pastrana's WRC efforts and is looking forward to becoming the first ever American based team with an American driver competing in the WRC.

The Colchester, Vermont based team hired former WRC Team Manager Derek Dauncey in late 2005 to help spearhead its WRC efforts. Dauncey was an instrumental part of the team that achieved four WRC Driver's Championships in a row with rally legend Tommi Makinen. "I have been lucky to work alongside a number of talented young drivers and I'm certain Travis has the potential to match and even surpass them," explains Dauncey. "His amazing success on two wheels speaks for itself and he is very dedicated to advancing his rally career. Its been a pleasure working with Subaru Rally Team USA thus far and I'm really looking forward to being a part of the team's next steps."

Subaru Rally Team USA is proudly supported by DC Shoes, BFGoodrich Tires, STI (Subaru Tecnica International), SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning), Alpinestars, Motul, PIAA, Recaro, Meguiars and Vermont SportsCar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah, i saw that earlier today.
    it's good for him and especially good for VT sports cars. they do excellent work and are really professional. hopefully with some more international exeperience and some good result with TP they can be a regular team on the pwrc circuit. but what about pastrana's main man K.Block, what's his future?
    oh and congrats christian (please assure us that you are staying on as co-driver!)
    I am Yahya the Infinite. <-search it

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    sounds good!
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenSchwinn
    yeah, i saw that earlier today.
    it's good for him and especially good for VT sports cars. they do excellent work and are really professional. hopefully with some more international exeperience and some good result with TP they can be a regular team on the pwrc circuit. but what about pastrana's main man K.Block, what's his future?
    oh and congrats christian (please assure us that you are staying on as co-driver!)

This was a SRT-USA bulletin.

Only thing I would infer from this is that Mr. Block is not going to be bankrolled by Subaru of America if he wants to participate in these events. I wouldn't be surprised however if they will offer a portion of the budget needed if he can secure or produce the rest personally. I don't think Mr. Block fits into the greater strategy of Pastrana in the WRC so KB is mainly backed for the Rally-America championship instead...
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great news! I can't wait to see what the impact will be on rallying in the US. Hopefully, we'll get some much needed attention for the sport and the WRC will get some attention outside of Colin McRae's video games.

Here's to a new era in rallying!
    \"Language is legislation, speech is its code. We do not see the power which is in speech because we forget that all speech is a classification, and that all classifications are oppressive.\" ~R. Barthes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is very exciting news for us americans! We definitely need someone to make an impact at rallyings top level.

Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    This is great news. I think rallying has been waiting a long time for something to come out of the States, Hopefully Travis is the man to do it.
    He has more than proved himself on 2 wheels, now hopefully he can match it on 4.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Shall Edstrom continue as his co-driver?

Very welcomed news
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
    Wish he was in a WRCar!
    Twitter - @Rallycameraman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    Shall Edstrom continue as his co-driver?
    Yes, I've been asked to continue. Thanks from both Travis and I for all the kind words and congratulations from everybody. We look forward to continuing to promote rallying in the USA.

- Christian