Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRF Tyres

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts

MRF Tyres

As far as I Remember they took over some of the DMack people, not sure how many.
    MRF does have money behind, so they could succeed if they really want to.

How much development goes in to the MRF rally program, and is it enough to start catching up to the market leaders?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    MRF has been in rallying for a long time. I remember Jussi Valimäki driving in their colors in the APRC some fifteen years ago and it's likely they have been around already before that. Their issue is that there were no asphalt events in the APRC. That's where they lack long time experience.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: Jarek Z (26th July 2021),pantealex (25th July 2021),Rally Hokkaido (26th July 2021)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    They have a former Pirelli (I think it was) top guy as well, a Brit named Jerry. Somebody here will probably know his last name

They are for sure developing a lot. They have a new compound from somewhere in the second half of last year.

They are certainly not bad (tested them only briefly) but they are not on the same level of Michelin either (price is a lot lower as well of course). Mainly the feeling the tyre gives is very different to Michelin.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    They have a former Pirelli (I think it was) top guy as well, a Brit named Jerry. Somebody here will probably know his last name

Fiorenzo Brivio is the Italian former (Pirelli-Dmack) engineer they have.

6. Likes: cali (25th July 2021),Mirek (25th July 2021)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Jerry Freeman is the guy. He also comes from Pirelli

8. Likes: cali (25th July 2021),Mirek (25th July 2021)
    Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
    Italian multi-champion Andreucci came from Pirelli to MRF. Now they test new tyre with Fabia Rally2 on italian rallyes.

10. Likes: Jarek Z (26th July 2021)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    In the last part of the interview before Rally di Roma Capitale Simone Campedelli says only positive things about the people at MRF (of course, being their dirver he probably can't say anything else ):
    https://www.fiaerc.com/erc-qa-simone-campedelli/

You are part of the Team MRF Tyres’ line-up. What do you think of the potential and progress that the company is making in terms of tyre development?
    Campedelli: “Last year when I met Vivek Ponnusamy and we started working together it was hard to imagine that they were so good in Rome, where they showed already a really good pace for such a new company. I’ve always felt from their side a big passion but a big strength. They want to reach the maximum level in rally and they are getting all the pieces of this puzzle to make it happen, like, for example, getting one of the best development drivers, Paolo Andreucci, who has a really good knowledge. I also have a really big experience and success. I will bet on them and I would like to see where they can get to. There is a lot of trust on both sides, they wanted somebody with their own personality who will say what they mean. They are just a few people at the moment, but everyone speaks in the right way and in one year they have won stages in the ERC with Craig Breen, Andreucci has won one rally in Italy and I’ve taken three podiums so it’s already a big achievement.”
    Last edited by Jarek Z; 26th July 2021 at 11:11.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

12. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (26th July 2021)
    I'm not sure why Campedelli calls MRF "a new company". I remember Armin Kremer competing with MRF team nearly 20 years ago:

14. Likes: cali (26th July 2021),Mirek (26th July 2021),pantealex (26th July 2021)
    Also Jan Kopecky was driving for them in 2014:
    https://www.motoroids.com/news/team-...new-caledonia/

16. Likes: cali (26th July 2021)
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    A friend of mine does distribution for MRF in the US. With the demise of Hoosier and Kumho they're a good option for the average clubman but Cooper has undercut them with a symmetrical offering that will fit left or right. Subaru and the wealthy privateers are using Michelin/Pirelli.