Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    As bad as Mercedes look as far as qualifying pace FP2, they still have overnight to get things fixed for FP3.

qaul.JPG

Their race pace is still there. One thing we know is Hamilton tires will degrade less than Max, and Hamilton will have the advantage late. If they get their tire issues warmup issue under control, Hamilton will be in position to steal this race away from Verstappen

qaul.JPG

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    It's time to see how Merc deal with the pressure. Unless they are completely sandbagging (which I doubt myself), they look to still be on the bad foot. Maybe they are the first to show the impact of the budget cuts, or maybe they just have the wrong people in some key positions, but it surely isn't making Toto's life any easier. But then again, maybe it's all "bendy wing" drama, and the setup will suddenly improve in P3 and Qual.

I tend to think they will have a sudden surge of pace for qually, and overall race pace won't be too terrible.

Maybe DAS was more important to Mercedes last year than we really knew. According to Bottas they need multiple laps to get their tires in the right temperature.

4. Likes: airshifter (6th June 2021)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Lol @ verstappen bemoaning the crashes in qualy like he himself didn’t crash in Q3. Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. Smh

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 3

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ractice-3.html

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - QUALIFYING

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ualifying.html

Qualifying

1. Leclerc
    2. Hamilton
    3. Verstappen
    4. Gasly
    5. Sainz
    6. Norris
    7. Perez
    8. Yuki
    9. Alonso
    10. Bottas

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Qualifying

1. Leclerc
    2. Hamilton
    3. Verstappen
    4. Gasly
    5. Sainz
    6. Norris
    7. Perez
    8. Yuki
    9. Alonso
    10. Bottas
    Fun qualifying. It is a lot more interesting when there are 3 or 4 teams fighting for pole instead of Mercedes 1/2. A lot of drama in this one.

Hamilton looked to be poised to win this. He even admitted that even though their 1 lap pace is not as good as he would like, their "Race Pace" is good.

Bottas - make you wonder if he knows he is out of Mercedes next year. He looks to be pulling a Vettel.

Vertstappen still has underachieved in qualifying.

Perez - looked promising this weekend up to the point where it mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    It's time to see how Merc deal with the pressure. Unless they are completely sandbagging (which I doubt myself), they look to still be on the bad foot. Maybe they are the first to show the impact of the budget cuts, or maybe they just have the wrong people in some key positions, but it surely isn't making Toto's life any easier. But then again, maybe it's all "bendy wing" drama, and the setup will suddenly improve in P3 and Qual.

I tend to think they will have a sudden surge of pace for qually, and overall race pace won't be too terrible.
    Just like that Hamilton is able to "find the time" overnight.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Alos the Norrsi penalty is completely absurd. Guy was doing over 300kph when the red lights came on as he was approaching the pit entry.
    it is beyond ludicrous to expect the driver to slow the car down and enter the pit lane in that circumstance.
    The stewards are a complete joke.
    I would make Masi and co get into the 2 seater, fly down the baku straight and then let them see what happens if they tried to make it into the pits under those circumstances.
    a complete joke!
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Just like that Hamilton is able to "find the time" overnight.
    Must be the bendy wings!

Great qual ruined by yet another red flag. It looked like the top positions were all up for grabs still, with Ferrari showing surprising pace, and Merc and RB doing very well also. It seems that the Mercs still have the top end advantage, and the RB is better in the slow stuff. It could leave things dicey if they get stuck behind Ferrari, as I think the red race pace will fall off quicker than the Merc and RB. Great job from Alpha Tauri this session as well, though helped some with luck of the red flags.

I think there were at least 4-5 different teams that actually had a shot at the top three start positions. I hope that pace follows through with the race.

Seb missed out by a few hundredths, Bottas was still hoping for a tow, and at the front we will never really know. But I'm sure Charles is happy, this time he actually gets to start at the front, and if nothing else the Ferrari's stand to toss a wrench in the Merc and RB #2 drivers. But it should be a great race. It seems Merc has the race pace, but they also have less new tires due to the red flags, timing, and running two to heat them up. There are a lot of factors leading towards a good race, and if today was any indication, pit strategy and/or VSC/SC periods might have a big impact as well.

As for the Norris penalty, at least they did cut him some slack for the infraction. But I do think he had time to make the pits, and the time wasted asking the team is what messed him up.