Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    For the drivers, you just never know what can happen. It does seem that Gasly has come back alive after being demoted, but maybe the RB is just that tough to drive, or the pressure took it's toll...

Either way, silly season is always with us in F1. Whatever we think can't possibly happen might. Kimi went back to Ferrari, and Fernando went back to Mclaren.

It was clear at Baku that the Bulls were strong on overall pace. Merc played the straight line setup to keep cars from passing, but they had to pit.

I was watching the pit sequence again, and I have to say that the release of Lewis was a very minor delay on the actual light. Maybe a 1/2 second or so tops. But when the light turned green the AT of Gasly was almost exactly right alongside the Merc pit. Lewis got away slow and that left 5-6 cars lengths between them by the time he hit the pit lane. So the theory that some claim he only lost the lead due to a bad stop is pretty much just.... well not true. I also checked timing as Lewis pitted, and Perez was just a hair over 2.5 seconds behind Lewis. When he pitted two laps later he came out ahead after having a 4.3 second stop. He came out cleanly in front with some gap, and that shows just how much the RB's were being held up.

Merc is going to have to fight harder this year, at least on some of the tracks.

2. Likes: Tazio (10th June 2021)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    For the drivers, you just never know what can happen. It does seem that Gasly has come back alive after being demoted, but maybe the RB is just that tough to drive, or the pressure took it's toll...

Either way, silly season is always with us in F1. Whatever we think can't possibly happen might. Kimi went back to Ferrari, and Fernando went back to Mclaren.

It was clear at Baku that the Bulls were strong on overall pace. Merc played the straight line setup to keep cars from passing, but they had to pit.

I was watching the pit sequence again, and I have to say that the release of Lewis was a very minor delay on the actual light. Maybe a 1/2 second or so tops. But when the light turned green the AT of Gasly was almost exactly right alongside the Merc pit. Lewis got away slow and that left 5-6 cars lengths between them by the time he hit the pit lane. So the theory that some claim he only lost the lead due to a bad stop is pretty much just.... well not true. I also checked timing as Lewis pitted, and Perez was just a hair over 2.5 seconds behind Lewis. When he pitted two laps later he came out ahead after having a 4.3 second stop. He came out cleanly in front with some gap, and that shows just how much the RB's were being held up.

Merc is going to have to fight harder this year, at least on some of the tracks.
    I think the point is that the Mercedes pitstops are very slow compared to the Redbull pit crew. Verstappen and Perez had near two seconds pitstop each. I think one of them got a 00:00:01:99 seconds pitstop. The Mercedes pitstops were closer or above 3 seconds, which brought Gasly into play.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Perez had a 4.3 second stop at Baku.

RB might have the upper hand usually, but not always. I also think Mercedes does very well when they double stack.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Perez had a 4.3 second stop at Baku.

RB might have the upper hand usually, but not always. I also think Mercedes does very well when they double stack.
    Yea, Perez had a bad pitstop l recall now. But it still put him ahead of Hamilton didn't it?

Mercedes pitstops have been woeful since last season. But l see your point.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I wouldn't take Gasly over any of those drivers at those teams. I would take Bottas over him.
    You don't like Gasly or you do rate Bottas?
    I wasn't partcularly Impressed with Gasly at Red Bull either but since he left he has undoubtedly grown in stature as a driver and so has gone up in my estimation a fair bit, think I'd take him over Bottas.

It seems Red Bull is happy to keep him at Alpha Tauri. I guess if Max went to Mercedes and Perez retired, maybe Red Bull would have no choice to elevate him.

I don't know what exactly happened behind the scenes, but there is enough rumblings that he will never be at Red Bull again. I would rather have Albon than Gasly at Red Bull say if Hamilton retired and Verstappen moved to Mercedes.
    Again, I'd choose Gasly over Albon. I'm not sure Red Bull would have either of them back though. I can imagine they are probably quite stubborn in that regard.

Don't you think that if Hamilton retired and they decided to get rid of Bottas, wouldn't they go with Ocon and Russel?
    Yep, you would expect it to be Russell and Ocon but maybe if Lewis stays a few more seasons and the driver options open up again I can see them going for Max, Gasly or possibly even Lando if he keeps up his impressive form and momentum.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    You don't like Gasly or you do rate Bottas?
    I wasn't partcularly Impressed with Gasly at Red Bull either but since he left he has undoubtedly grown in stature as a driver and so has gone up in my estimation a fair bit, think I'd take him over Bottas.
    I don't think Gasly handles pressure very well and he is inconsistent. I also believe he is actually has underperformed where his car has been at (and to be fair some of his underperformance has been because of team strategy).

Yep, you would expect it to be Russell and Ocon but maybe if Lewis stays a few more seasons and the driver options open up again I can see them going for Max, Gasly or possibly even Lando if he keeps up his impressive form and momentum.
    Now I heard some speculation that if Mercedes doesn't promote Russell, Red Bull is considering a move for him.

I don't think Gasly handles pressure very well and he is inconsistent. I also believe he is actually has underperformed where his car has been at (and to be fair some of his underperformance has been because of team strategy).

Now I heard some speculation that if Mercedes doesn't promote Russell, Red Bull is considering a move for him.
    It makes sense for Redbull to want Russell. They do not have any junior of Russell's calibre on their books at the moment. That said, l don't think Mercedes would want to release him. Hence it would cost Redbull a great deal to snatch him from Mercedes.

But would Russell head to Redbull when he is so close to securing a seat with Mercedes? Would Redbull want to swap Perez [who is doing a great job and promises to be even better with time] for Russell? would Russell want to go to a team that has burnt two of their very capable juniors? It would be a huge risk for Russell to take a Redbull seat. Especially the cursed second seat next to Verstappen.

Can he beat Verstappen in the same car? Definitely. If he is given fair and equal treatment and equipment. Redbull has a history of not being able to do that. Which is where the risk lay.

On Gasly, l would say investigate his racing history. He is a talent as good as Russell, Norris and Verstappen. He would be very high on any teams shopping list if he can be cheaply separated from Redbull. He won a race and a number of podium visits in a car that was not as good as the Mclaren, Mercedes or Ferrari. That alone would ensure he gets a look when the opportunity becomes available.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 11th June 2021 at 09:27.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Fair enough, you could say pretty much the same for Bottas though.

Haha.. Russell going to Red Bull would be very interesting indeed. I can't help but wonder if the rumour might have been started by Russell himself to give Toto a nudge though.
    Although on the ascendancy, I wouldn't want to go to Red Bull to live in their golden boy Max's shadow. Merc still feels like a safer option to me.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Fair enough, you could say pretty much the same for Bottas though.

Haha.. Russell going to Red Bull would be very interesting indeed. I can't help but wonder if the rumour might have been started by Russell himself to give Toto a nudge though.
    Although on the ascendancy, I wouldn't want to go to Red Bull to live in their golden boy Max's shadow. Merc still feels like a safer option to me.
    If it happens, it could be a swap of Gasly for Russell. Which may be an agreeable exchange. It could happen, {if you stop to think about it}. But why would Russell make that jump? Besides, it would look bad for Wolff to lose his up and coming junior driver. It would be the third Mercedes junior that has found the Mercedes programme unsatisfactory and happy to take his chances elsewhere.

If Gasly gets the chance to head to Mercedes, it would be a certain chance for him to become an F1 driver world champion. I think he has it in him given the equipment that suits him and the support.

Gasly in Mercedes would be a menace for Redbull and the Ferrari pair. He would be hard to beat. Just consider how he was able to maintain his podium position ahead of a rapid Leclerc in a faster Ferrari at Baku. That would give you an idea of what a headache Gasly in a Mercedes would be for Redbull and Ferrari.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 11th June 2021 at 14:29.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    If it happens, it could be a swap of Gasly for Russell. Which may be an agreeable exchange. It could happen, {if you stop to think about it}. But why would Russell make that jump? Besides, it would look bad for Wolff to lose his up and coming junior driver. It would be the third Mercedes junior that has found the Mercedes programme unsatisfactory and happy to take his chances elsewhere.

If Gasly gets the chance to head to Mercedes, it would be a certain chance for him to become an F1 driver world champion. I think he has it in him given the equipment that suits him and the support.

Gasly in Mercedes would be a menace for Redbull and the Ferrari pair. He would be hard to beat. Just consider how he was able to maintain his podium position ahead of a rapid Leclerc in a faster Ferrari at Baku. That would give you an idea of what a headache Gasly in a Mercedes would be for Redbull and Ferrari.
    Russell has proven his worth. If Mercedes don't promote him next year, something I believe he has overwhelmingly earned, then he should not wait for them and, considering it's Bottas in the other car, it's really their loss. Three years in a Williams is enough and he has done his dues.

I can't see Gasly getting a Mercedes drive when a driver the calibre of Russell is available.

If RBR have a choice between Russell and Gasly I know which one they would go for, I don't see why that decision would be any different for Mercedes.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 11th June 2021 at 18:31.

12. Likes: Firstgear (14th June 2021)