Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli tyres

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    I don't get it...
    why? ''it can happen also at the best families'' we use to say in Greece.
    You could duy a brand new porsche gt3 rs and have total engine failure,or a new bmw m5.
    a new gtr and have a transmission failure . It had happened at 100-200k euro new machinery.
    Why not at a tyre of 300 euro?

2. Likes: cali (28th May 2022),pantealex (30th May 2022)
    Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    why? ''it can happen also at the best families'' we use to say in Greece.
    You could duy a brand new porsche gt3 rs and have total engine failure,or a new bmw m5.
    a new gtr and have a transmission failure . It had happened at 100-200k euro new machinery.
    Why not at a tyre of 300 euro?
    No doubt, there's no perfect brand/manufacturer. But when it becomes a regular thing I start to worry. I'm positive that in WRC many times drivers are using Pirelli as a scapegoat excuse for their faults, but it seems to be increasing. Are drivers just becoming more and more reckless?
    As for Goodyear, their failure was so catastrophic that they had to cancel 2 world championship races with multiple champion Yvan Muller saying "I don't want to die". Is it really that easy to mess up tyres? Last year, they had no problems with Goodyear in Nordschleife...

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    You remind me of the 2005 USA GP where Michelin couldn't guarantee their tyres would last and all their customer teams withdrew leaving just 6 cars to start. So even Michelin have been there back in the day.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Pirelli is not the only tyre manufacturer being criticized in motorsport in these days: the two WTCR (the World Touring Car Cup) races on the Nurburgring Nordschleife were cancelled today after numerous punctures of Goodyear tyres in practice and qualifying.
    I wouldn't expect such poor performances by well estabilished tyre manufacturers such as Pirelli or Goodyear, I don't get it...
    Here's the strange thing; the Hyundai TCR cars racing in the N24, are using those same tyres - and will do 8/9 lap stints on them. It seems it's more a set up issue with the car than a tyre issue.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Here's the strange thing; the Hyundai TCR cars racing in the N24, are using those same tyres - and will do 8/9 lap stints on them. It seems it's more a set up issue with the car than a tyre issue.
    I was thinking that it's strange as well. Are we sure it's the same spec Goodyear tyre?
    Honda and Lynk & Co were the ones who protested the unsafe Goodyear tyres, while Hyundai didn't seem to have problems. But Goodyear itself seemed to admit that it "couldn't guarantee safety" in the press release.

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    How come that in all the testing Pirelli didnt have lots of punctures or tyres being knocked off the rim ? Was their gravel testing in Sardinia not rough enough ? Or were the C3 WRC wheels different in some way ?

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    But when it becomes a regular thing I start to worry. I'm positive that in WRC many times drivers are using Pirelli as a scapegoat excuse for their faults, but it seems to be increasing.
    its not a regular thing,and its not increasing,Punctures at Portugal,were most at very hard/destroyed(according to drivers) stages at Friday second pass. See how many punctures were at Saturday Sunday.

9. Likes: AnttiL (29th May 2022)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    How come that in all the testing Pirelli didnt have lots of punctures or tyres being knocked off the rim ? Was their gravel testing in Sardinia not rough enough ? Or were the C3 WRC wheels different in some way ?
    i definitely think the car was different. i recall we discussed here a bit, the discussion was: a "dismissed" car is really a good choice to test for the future?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I can't see how the test car made a difference that much. Hopefully they ran the C3 with more weight.

And I repeat, we had lots of punctures on that mega rough stage in Turkey 2020 on Michelins, and we've had punctures in the past. I remember three WRC drivers having a puncture on the same stage in Sardinia 2017.

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I can't see how the test car made a difference that much. Hopefully they ran the C3 with more weight.

And I repeat, we had lots of punctures on that mega rough stage in Turkey 2020 on Michelins, and we've had punctures in the past. I remember three WRC drivers having a puncture on the same stage in Sardinia 2017.
    just saying different car stresses tires differently, i would just use the top-spec to test, not a dismisses one.
    then it's definitely true that there are other races and other brands with lots of punctures, but the amount of pirelli tires knocked out of the rim is something odd, at least to my memory...nothing to say about broken rim or cut tires.