Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    The usual Monaco procession once the race started. I like the tight track and challenge to the drivers, but with modern cars passing is next to nothing, so boooooorinnnnng..... unless someone has an off or car problems.

Qually - surprising to see Ferrari so strong, as well as the Mclaren driven by Lando. I really wish Leclerc didn't have his barrier hit, as I think it would have been tight between Bottas and Max, with Charles a long shot. I don't for a second think it was an intentional accident, as the end result showed why a driver/team wouldn't want that kind of risk. Great job by Gasly as well, Seb back up in the mix, and Giovinazzi makes it to Q3.

As for the race, I thought Bottas might have a shot at Max on the start, but from there out nothing exciting until the Merc pit problems. Bottas 3.6 finally gets a good qually and it gets tossed during the race. Combine that with them rolling the dice trying to move Lewis up, and their weekend was crap. Perez had a poor qually, but put in the fact laps during the race when it mattered, and ends up with a decent result. As for Lewis, crap weekend all around, though better than that of Bottas in the end. But the finger pointing won't help any, and in the past he has always been vocal when he doesn't agree with the team. You have to take the bad with the good in strategy, and considering how often they get it right and the product they drive, I think he should have towed the line for Merc a bit more.

AT kept Yuki out forever in hopes of a safety car, but it didn't work. And except for Seb, the young guns on the respective teams beat the old hands. It's got to be humbling and puzzling for the likes of Fernando and Daniel to be beaten at this track by the newer drivers.

Merc and Lewis #2 by a very slim margin, and Lando slots into #3 in the WDC standings. With RB and Max strong this season, Max making it to #1 at some point is not a shock really, but both Sergio and Valterri really need to step up their games. I still think their performance is going to be a big factor in this years standings. Although in all fairness, Bottas did everything right this weekend, and it just didn't go his way.

Without accidents and safety cars, this race gets even more boring. At least there was the roll of the dice on strategy expecting the safety car. And this year the red flag even robbed us of the last lap efforts in qually, one of the few usual excitements at this race.

Oh well, hopefully Baku will have some action.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Mercedes and Hamilton not happy; contract negotiations temporarily halted'
    27-05-2021 06:42 | Updated: 27-05-2021 08:26

by GPblog.com

Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes over a contract extension were reportedly already underway, but the Monaco Grand Prix has reportedly caused talks to temporarily halt. Toto Wolff has been given until mid-June to reach an agreement with the seven-time world champion.

Hamilton had a disappointing qualifying and afterwards, harsh words were exchanged during a meeting with the team's technicians. Toto Wolff was also present at the meeting and the decision was made to make some changes to the front end of the W12. The changes made didn't suit the driving style of Hamilton who was not able to break free.

In the media, the 36-year old driver told that he couldn't have done anything better and that Mercedes didn't give him a competitive car. Those statements were not well received by the Brackley formation, especially because Hamilton always says in good times that 'we win and lose together.' Moreover, the set-up and configuration of Bottas' car was exactly the same.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85185...ly-halted.html

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
    Mercedes and Hamilton not happy; contract negotiations temporarily halted'
    27-05-2021 06:42 | Updated: 27-05-2021 08:26

by GPblog.com

Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes over a contract extension were reportedly already underway, but the Monaco Grand Prix has reportedly caused talks to temporarily halt. Toto Wolff has been given until mid-June to reach an agreement with the seven-time world champion.

Hamilton had a disappointing qualifying and afterwards, harsh words were exchanged during a meeting with the team's technicians. Toto Wolff was also present at the meeting and the decision was made to make some changes to the front end of the W12. The changes made didn't suit the driving style of Hamilton who was not able to break free.

In the media, the 36-year old driver told that he couldn't have done anything better and that Mercedes didn't give him a competitive car. Those statements were not well received by the Brackley formation, especially because Hamilton always says in good times that 'we win and lose together.' Moreover, the set-up and configuration of Bottas' car was exactly the same.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85185...ly-halted.html
    I wouldn't put much weight on this, these are just your typical rumours. Hamilton was very careful with his words when he spoke to sky and channel 4 after the race. He certainly did not blame Mercedes. Valteries was more harder in his comments actually, even so he was very tactful.

It was very clear that Hamilton and Wolff were not happy the way the race turned out. I seriously doubt there are any real friction within Mercedes about Monaco. As always, they would work it out as they always do.

The other thing in the report, it states Mercedes want to offer Hamilton a one year contract extension, which is contrary to what is indicated by Wolff in most recent interviews. All indications suggest they want Hamilton to sign another three year deal which they originally wanted to offer him in 2019 but did a one year deal as they ran out of time with negotiations. I seriously doubt they would be negotiating another one year deal.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Hamilton was very careful with his words when he spoke to sky and channel 4 after the race. He certainly did not blame Mercedes.
    That certainty not true. Hamilton started off with some political correct speak,

There's no finger pointing, we win and we lose together

but he couldn't contain himself and he finally blew up:

"We lost a lot of points for a really, really poor performance from the team"

"Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes will need "tough discussions" behind closed doors after feeling the team did not do things the way it should have done"

"Also I don’t want to be critical of team, but behind closed doors, I will be." - LOL. Low key throwing the team under the bus, is still throwing them under the bus.

Hamilton’s bitterness opens a small crack that inevitably emerges on particularly bad days.“Tonight I will discuss with the engineers – he continued – or, perhaps, we will talk about it after the weekend, because there are some things that should have been done, but instead… they have not been done.

The other thing in the report, it states Mercedes want to offer Hamilton a one year contract extension, which is contrary to what is indicated by Wolff in most recent interviews. All indications suggest they want Hamilton to sign another three year deal which they originally wanted to offer him in 2019 but did a one year deal as they ran out of time with negotiations. I seriously doubt they would be negotiating another one year deal.
    This will be very interesting to watch. Because there have been rumors that there is a difference of opinion on Lewis contract. If I was the owners, I would sign Hamilton for 3 more years. Ride him and his brand until it out of gas. Bring in his eventual "brand" replacement next year to bring him along. But, I have seen it in other sports, owners think they are smarter.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Curious that as contract talks start , that Merc gets it so wrong that Lewis is not leading the championship at this point .
    Interesting that Merc offered him more PU power for that shot at fastest lap , a second or so faster than all the rest .

6. Likes: Mia 01 (30th May 2021)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Curious that as contract talks start , that Merc gets it so wrong that Lewis is not leading the championship at this point .
    Interesting that Merc offered him more PU power for that shot at fastest lap , a second or so faster than all the rest .
    How's it going with you Baggie?

I doubt there are any shinanigans going on at Mercedes. They have very little room to mess about this year with Redbull pushing them hard. They messed up and they would try to sort it out. One thing is clear, if they don't get on top of it quick, they are very likely to fall short of winning the championship.

It is quite simple, Mercedes appear to be struggling to operate at their usual high standards under the reduced budget regime.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    How's it going with you Baggie?

I doubt there are any shinanigans going on at Mercedes. They have very little room to mess about this year with Redbull pushing them hard. They messed up and they would try to sort it out. One thing is clear, if they don't get on top of it quick, they are very likely to fall short of winning the championship.

It is quite simple, Mercedes appear to be struggling to operate at their usual high standards under the reduced budget regime.
    All I'm saying is that Merc goy it REALLY wrong all weekend long .

You're right that they "appear" to be struggling , but , at the same time they were able to turn it up and run a full second ahead of the whole pack on Monaco's short track .
    That's not easy .

I could be completely wrong , but it smells a little like they needed to create the impression of a strong opponent , even though they showed their hand with that fastest lap .
    From the smell of it , I'd say Merc will win it all , but the bulls will look like they could have .

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts

You're right that they "appear" to be struggling , but , at the same time they were able to turn it up and run a full second ahead of the whole pack on Monaco's short track .
    That's not easy .

I could be completely wrong , but it smells a little like they needed to create the impression of a strong opponent , even though they showed their hand with that fastest lap .
    From the smell of it , I'd say Merc will win it all , but the bulls will look like they could have .
    Interesting - anyone would think Bernie was still there and calling the shots to make it look more exciting so he could sell an option for a GP of (insert unlikely place here) that was never going to actually happen.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

That's not easy .

I have kind of wondered about this as possible alternative

The reality is F1 if it is to survive needs a "pennant race" and drama to draw in and keep fans. Netflix gave a glimpse of the drama, and f1 seems to be wanting to give the fans even more.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

That's not easy .

You are so right. I hadn't noticed that.. for a short circuit like Monaco that really is quite extraordinary.

... perhaps only not taking pole because Lewis couldn't get the tyres working in qualy?

.. or they are merely playing games with Red Bull seeking to give the false impression that it's really close to make them pull all their resources into this seasons battle to effectively reduce their chances for next year too?

If that is the case it's a Merc cakewalk for sure... but I'm really not happy about being duped.. conned into thinking it is a genuine title fight.
    Nah.. thats crazy talk. Surely not. 🤔

What the actual .... though?