Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts
    Helmut weights in on Gasly future.

Frenchman Gasly, 25, has been pushing for a return to Red Bull's premier team, and his 2021-2022 contract is designed so that he can theoretically race either for the top outfit or AlphaTauri.

But Marko told Auto Motor und Sport that Gasly is staying put.

"The package fits him perfectly at AlphaTauri," he said. "The combination goes well together.
    https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/m...-team-rumours/

Russell on when he wants his future decided by

“I haven’t really spoken about it [with Toto], that’s always just been my mindset [to conclude the talks quickly],” said Russell. “It’s in everyone’s best interest. I’m just focused on the here and now really, but I’m sure everything will be sorted no later than the end of the summer break really.

“I think we’d all want a nice summer break off when the season’s this intense, not messing around with contracts!” added Russell, whose Williams squad confirmed this week the departure of Team Principal Simon Roberts. “I know I certainly would anyway. And it gives everybody a bit of clarity… I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks really.”
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...hBDzXjKXh.html

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    Quoting from the Baku thread so as to take my own advice of us not spamming up that thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    When l say you are not being fair. I am talking about appreciating the potential of a driver. Yes, there are many unknowns. If Redbull took that sort of perspective to hiring their drivers, Verstappen would still be in Torro Rosso now. Every driver presents each team bosses with a perspective of their potential, given the chance to drive their car. Perez did just that when he won the Bahrain GP and was swiftly hired by Redbull. And he has confirmed that potential by winning the Baku GP.

Note:- Perez is the first driver to win in that 2nd seat at Redbull since Ricciardo. What a relief that must have been for Horner. The curse is broken.

With very little opportunity to showcase his true potential, Russell grasped his one and only opportunity and nearly won the Bahrain GP. A race that did wonders for Perez. My point is, it is not about yardstick measures but measures of potential. And Russell has demonstrated that he has enormous potential.

On Hamilton compared to Verstappen, this scenario is the best possible way to measure the comparative strengths and weaknesses of both drivers. In the same team, Verstappen would have to cope with the in-team politics, the mind games as well as try to beat Hamilton on track. That is not a good scenario for a young challenger to take on a seven-time world champion. However, in the safety and protection of another team, he can focus on his racing and put out his best performances.

We adore Alonso because he beat Seven-time world champion, Michael Schumacher, twice in a Renault. Would he have done so, driving in the second seat at Ferrari? Certainly not. He would be flying too close to the sun and would have been burnt from the experience. To estimate what is possible in the future, we only have "potential" to go on. When it comes down to proving it, there is a myriad of factors that come into play to producing what would actually happen. And the outcome can be different from what we expect. Among those things is crucially luck and good timing which plays a huge role in what transpires for each driver.

Bad timing destroyed Grosjean's career. Albon is paying the price for that very same thing. Gasly was nearly destroyed by it. Thankfully he is recovering well.
    No doubt Russell has shown great potential. My main point on that being that it's very limited, since his usual ride is the back of the field, and most likely not driver could change that much.

As for the other scenarios' personally I think it's all assumption until it happens. For all we know Alonso might have made Schumacher look very ordinary, Max might do the same to Lewis, and Gasly would destroy both of them in the same car. We can speculate until we die, but in the end actual facts will always win out. And in most cases if two strong drivers are on a team the team pushes a #1 and #2 scenario at some point, whether it be favoritism or the standings of the first few race results.

As for RB and breaking the curse, I think they probably chose Perez in much the same way as Merc chose Bottas. There is no lack of young drivers with great potential, but having some years under the belt makes "older" drivers a good candidate for the #2 spot when in a strong car. It also limits rivalry within the team and thus team drama.

The rumors are already swirling fairly quickly about Hamilton's contract, as well as the Russel/Bottas swap. Until it happens, we can't be sure. The only thing we can really but sure of is to expect the unexpected, as it happens quite a lot in the F1 driver shuffle.

For those the might care

Kevin Magnussen said he won't come back to F1 unless it is drive for Mercedes or Red Bull.

Meanwhile Nico Rosberg said there is 0% he could be pulled from retirement. He loves his life he's got and does not want the grind of F1.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Helmut weights in on Gasly future.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/m...-team-rumours/
    Frenchman Gasly, 25, has been pushing for a return to Red Bull's premier team, and his 2021-2022 contract is designed so that he can theoretically race either for the top outfit or AlphaTauri.

But Marko told Auto Motor und Sport that Gasly is staying put.

"The package fits him perfectly at AlphaTauri," he said. "The combination goes well together.
    If that is the best Redbull has to offer Gasly; a car not capable of winning a championship. Of course, he would head elsewhere where the car is better than the Alpha Tauri. I think he is talking out of his backside if he expects Gasly to stay put lol
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    No doubt Russell has shown great potential. My main point on that being that it's very limited
    Limited yes. But that is all it takes. That was what put Verstappen in the #1 seat at Redbull. Unlike Vettel that won a race in the Toro Rosso, Verstappen did not win a race with Toro Rosso, but showed enormous potential. Enough to oust Kvyat out of his seat.

Russell nearly won the Bahrain race but for setbacks outside his control. Clearly beating the likes of Verstappen and Leclerc in that race. Which would suggest that Russell would be mighty in the Mercedes.

Gasly on the other hand has won a race with Alpha Tauri [formally Tore Rosso]. Which highlights why he also would be good enough to win a championship, in the right car, in the right team. It would seem such a team is not Redbull.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th June 2021 at 22:30.
    William Shakespeare

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...break/6525344/

Russel on his future. My quick take - if Mercedes doesn't want to promote him to their car, he will find somewhere else that he can compete. But he won't be at Williams.
    I think if Mercedes comes out of the triple-header with a bigger gap than they went into it, and it appears obvious that Bottas has not matched Perez, he would be ousted at the summer break. We could see Russell in the Mercedes for the second half of the season. Mainly because it would be a risk worth taking to catch up to Redbull.

If they do fall behind further at the end of the triple, chances are one of the championships would be as good as lost. I also think, the Hamilton negotiation would not happen until after the triple header. And a points setback for Mercedes and/or Hamilton, going into the negotiation could have a big impact on the outcome of the negotiation.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th June 2021 at 06:11.
    William Shakespeare

Sky Italy is saying that Toto has informed Russell team that the decision has been made to promote him to the Mercedes team for 2022.

Sky Italy is saying that Toto has informed Russell team that the decision has been made to promote him to the Mercedes team for 2022.
    Yep, the rumour is out. And l think it could sooner than 2022 the way things are going for Bottas.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Yep, the rumour is out. And l think it could sooner than 2022 the way things are going for Bottas.
    I heard today on a podcast, that they are hearing it will be announced at Silverstone.