Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    Signing Lewis for 2 years was the final piece to get Russell in and let him get up to speed quietly whilst the maestro's carreer winds down. Russell is the future at Mercedes
    (note : He will have to train hard to get to better starts. His trend of losing 3-4 positions at every (re)start is worrysome. Aside from that, no flaws...).
    I'm really interested to see how qualifying will go between the two. I think Hamilton will have a hard time against Russell. His fastest qualifying laps are impeccable in that Williams and have been for a very long time.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I'm really interested to see how qualifying will go between the two. I think Hamilton will have a hard time against Russell. His fastest qualifying laps are impeccable in that Williams and have been for a very long time.
    This would be Rosberg Vs Schumacher all over again. I think Russell would be mighty in the Mercedes. This is why Verstappen need to win the title this season. He may be going up against a driver hungrier and more talented than him next season.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    Signing Lewis for 2 years was the final piece to get Russell in and let him get up to speed quietly whilst the maestro's carreer winds down. Russell is the future at Mercedes
    (note : He will have to train hard to get to better starts. His trend of losing 3-4 positions at every (re)start is worrysome. Aside from that, no flaws...).
    Maybe, Hamiton would retire after he wins his eighth worlds championship. This is proving to be his hardest challenge yet. Mainly because the younger drivers are all coming of age now. Russell in a Mercedes seems quite a sure thing only if Mercedes do not make a move for Verstappen.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Ralf Schumacher has claimed now that Max was offered a ride at Merc, and that is what caused the delay with the Hamilton contract extension.

I would laugh even harder if crazier things haven't happened in Formula 1.
    Schumacher has a theory on Hamilton signing a new deal for his current team though and believes they really wanted Verstappen.

"For me, [Hamilton's] contract extension fundamentally means that Max [Verstappen] rejected Mercedes," Schumacher said in an interview with 'Sport Bild'.

"I believe that Mercedes had placed all their hopes on signing Verstappen, with the aim of completely securing his future.

"That idea wasn't possible, and in my opinion, Lewis [Hamilton] was the only alternative."
    odd, he says he has a theory but doesn't say if he actually had any knowledge? Who does Ralph align with? Is more friends with Mercedes or with Verstappen dad? Seem like there is an agenda here to stir the pot, but not sure from what direction.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    odd, he says he has a theory but doesn't say if he actually had any knowledge? Who does Ralph align with? Is more friends with Mercedes or with Verstappen dad? Seem like there is an agenda here to stir the pot, but not sure from what direction.
    It was just his opinion. He is entitled to one.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I've heard today through the grapevine that Bottas has been told he will be replaced by Russell next year. He was told to give him time to get a seat for next year. Russell has also been informed but no announcement for a while yet. It makes very little sense for Mercedes to keep Bottas, the rule changes offering the perfect opportunity to change drivers.

We'll see.
    That would not surprise me at all. Bottas out of contract poses a problem for most of the midfield seats. Especially for Ricciardo at Mclaren, Perez at Redbull but most likely he would head back to Williams.
    William Shakespeare

Everyone assumes the Bottas seat is going to Russell with no real competition from anywhere. This may be incorrect. 2019 F2 champion Nick De Vries is catching Toto Woolfs attention. The diminutive dutchman is impressing in Formula-E and Toto was there to watch him at work in London.

As Ocon did for the career of Wehrlien, and Russell did for Ocon, Nick De Vries looks set to do the same to Russell if he does not get announced as the replacement for Bottas this season. The real attraction of De Vries is the similarity of his driving style to that of Verstappen. Crazy braveness in duels for position and bloody fast. He has the aggressive edge that we see in Verstappen and l think that would fascinate Toto.

Does Russell have anything to worry about? I think very likely. Nick De Vries is definitely a threat to his chance of landing the Mercedes drive that is becoming vacant.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 24th July 2021 at 16:14.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It was just his opinion. He is entitled to one.
    FWIW, a quick investigation showed that:

a. Ralph and Jos V. are good friends, as well with the Schumacher family.

b. Max referred to Michael S. as uncle

therefore, it can be concluded Ralph was just stirring the pot against Mercedes. Letting it be known that Mercedes actually preferred Max for the future than Hamilton.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 25th July 2021 at 00:06.

Pierre Gasly asked if outside teams have shown interested

“Yes, interest. I’m trying my best, showing my potential, giving my best with AlphaTauri and I think what we are doing at the moment is very good.

“We’ll see going forward what are the most attractive options we have. Ultimately it goes down to Red Bull and discussing with them what we do together going forward.”

“I don’t know what is the will of Helmut and whether they want to take me back, whether they want me to stay in AlphaTauri, whether they are willing to release me to another team.”

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Does Russell have anything to worry about? I think very likely. Nick De Vries is definitely a threat to his chance of landing the Mercedes drive that is becoming vacant.
    You may be true but i highly doubt toto would put him straight into the A-team. Too much risk. Pushing for a seat in a "friendly" B-Team to get him polish his skills and get ready for when Lewis retires would make more sense.

11. Likes: pantealex (25th July 2021)