Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Mercedes out-strategizes Red Bull because Perez, well he just sucks. He was brought in for one thing - be there so Verstappen is not hung out to dry.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Mercedes out-strategizes Red Bull because Perez, well he just sucks. He was brought in for one thing - be there so Verstappen is not hung out to dry.
    RBR only have themselves to blame- if they would have been a little more patient with their drivers they would not be in this position and Perez needs time to get up to speed.

If I were Toto I'd fire Bottas - disobeying a direct team order and once again 30 seconds behind his teammate - he's absolutely useless.

3. Likes: N. Jones (10th May 2021),truefan72 (10th May 2021)
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    RBR only have themselves to blame- if they would have been a little more patient with their drivers they would not be in this position and Perez needs time to get up to speed.

If I were Toto I'd fire Bottas - disobeying a direct team order and once again 30 seconds behind his teammate - he's absolutely useless.
    09 May 2021

2021 Spanish Grand Prix: Bottas resists team orders to force Hamilton overtake

Lewis Hamilton is forced to overtake his Mercedes team mate Valtteri Bottas with a racing move at the 2021 Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix, despite Mercedes ordering the Finn to let the world champion through at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...overtake_.html

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    The radio commentary mentioned the slow tyre change for Max and apparently one of the tyre changing crew was not ready 'on station', properly.

Lost a few seconds, which then had a 'knock on' effect, later on in the race, as you may understand.

During the commentary that Red Bull had changed their pit crew. It seems some are there 'just for the beers'.

I doubt whether Guenther Steiner, who once worked for Red Bull, would have been very happy, if he had been in charge. Guenther would probably have kicked the individual 'up the @$e'...

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Apparently, Max came in too early for his pit-stop after a radio miscommunication, which was why the left front tire changer wasn't ready.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    There is something else going on with Perez besides getting up to speed with the car. It almost like he went out on the town with Kimi the night before Qualifying.

I agree about the "patience". I suspect that had they shown patience with either Gasly or Albon they would be in a better position than with Perez.

My reading behind the line means Bottas know that the decision about his future has already been made. Or maybe he trying to make the rumor of mid-year change a self fullfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Apparently, Max came in too early for his pit-stop after a radio miscommunication, which was why the left front tire changer wasn't ready.
    Max Mistakeppen make to many mistakes. He definitely doesn't have the mental toughness of Hamilton.

When they were trying to tell him where he was losing time, he didn't even want to try a different strategy.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Overall I thought this was one of the better Spanish GP's in a long time. Some very strong drives at the front, with Lewis, Max, and Charles all making the most of the race. Though Bottas and Checo weren't the best tail gunners overall, they both recovered somewhat during the race.

Another blinder of a start from Max, and I think it was too close for Lewis to think about covering at that point. A hard but fair pass into the first corner. It seemed that Max was in fairly good shape until the tires started to go. He could keep the gap to Lewis small enough to not allow the pass. It also seemed that one of them (or both) were using charging tactics to attack/defend the DRS move, as several times Lewis would have DRS every second lap on the main straight.

Though Max's dive late into the pits put RB on the back foot, it was probably the only thing at that point that gave him a chance to retain the lead through that stop. Good recovery by the RB crew, and the Merc strategy move had to wait until later in the race.

Bottas was somewhat in the same boat.... with Leclerc getting by him there was no way to get back up into the front fight and be the good #2. Good thing for Merc that Perez had the bad qually, as the #2 drivers really didn't come into the picture much. Well except when Bottas 3.7 decided the time to race was when Lewis was fighting to take the race back at Max. Probably not the best career decision, but it's not like it hasn't been done by other drivers either.

Perez did at least make some positions up, but the poor qualification performance hurt the team in the same way. I will say that overall that pass on Ricciardo was brilliant, and really I think the maturity both of them showed on that was great. It's hard to pass the "last of the late brakers" on the outside going into a turn, but it worked. Good stuff, more like a move that would happen at the pointy end of the field.

I still think Merc have the slight upper hand in pace, but it's close enough to bring drivers into the picture now. Lewis is having to work harder than in years past, and I think he has proven his maturity and racecraft well. Though one of them was not legal, Max has passed Lewis in all 4 races this year. Granted starts are always an opportunity, but a pass is a pass. Even with a growing gap in WDC points, I don't see Max giving up easily, at least I hope not.

If Perez can come to grips with the RB sooner rather than later, I still think him and Bottas will have a big impact on the constructors title. Both have shown that the respective team leaders are monsters of pace, but both have the potential to challenge at times. It might be fighting for #3 in the end, but the hardware is close enough to let them fight this year.

As for the midfield, hard to keep up. The strategy and car differences made for a lot of overtaking on track. It seemed like half the midfield was fighting for that final 10th place point.

10. Likes: Bagwan (10th May 2021),Fortitude (10th May 2021),truefan72 (10th May 2021)
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Any idea when tickets get released for barcelona 2022? asked around and everyones telling me not until sep at the earliest. seems late given the race is in april. Surely they know by then?