Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,278 Times in 1,071 Posts
    You'd think this is where they would've wanted to start Suninen

2. Likes: pantealex (25th January 2022),RS (25th January 2022)
    Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Bertelli. Sorry, I was wrong. He's not running his old Fiesta WRC anymore.

https://rallysweden.com/en/entry-lis...y-sweden-2022/
    Not a big surprise for Bertelli as he is almost always there even if we may have prefered someone else. A little too early for Huttunen who must prove in WRC-2 before having a chance in Rally1 with M-Sport. And for Mikkelsen, as his strategy for the season is not defined, maybe he didn’t want to pay for a drive so early. Don’t really see another drive who could have make sense (except Suninen but not possible for the reason we know; not the best place to spend money for Loubet).

Even if Suninen already said there were some issues, really surprised to see no official Hyundai there; quite worrying about their ability to manage a program.
    Good WRC2 entries with Mikkelsen, Gryazin, Bulacia (+WRC entry for the younger brother who has a good hype), Huttunen, Lindholm, Pietarinen, Veiby.
    A surprise however: no Ostberg so it seems Citroen sidelined him as some rumors said, except if his name comes later (list can be updated but seems late at this stage for an «*official*» driver). Will he be able to build a program?
    For M-Sport, taking Adielson here as number 2 driver is quite clear: the effort will be only on Huttunen and Cais (quite forecasted already and not that far from the strategy in the last years) and only clients for the rest.

Really surprised that they manage to obtain 8 drivers for WRC3 (and probably all for J-WRC, looking at the profiles). Even if the 8 cars prepared by M-Sport were a good indication finally, I thought the cost would reduce even more the number of entries but finally they stay the same number.
    However, not a big improvement in the quality of the entries except Franceschi (but no more Sesks); 5 were already there last year in Rally4. Let’s hope the fact that they’re one year older will help it. Interesting to see a young Kenyan in JWRC (and what a 1st name ).
    Last edited by Danny0405; 25th January 2022 at 09:32.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    You'd think this is where they would've wanted to start Suninen
    Suninen is with Hyundai now. But Huttunen?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    For M-Sport, taking Adielson here as number 2 driver is quite clear: the effort will be only on Huttunen and Cais (quite forecasted already and not that far from the strategy in the last years) and only clients for the rest.
    Cais is a client since his team points go to Yacco Team, not M-Sport.

Cais is a client since his team points go to Yacco Team, not M-Sport.
    I would say half-client as I understand M-Sport is supervising him (comparable to Fourmaux I would say).
    But you are right on the point that he is also a sponsored driver.

Let’s see if Huttunen-Cais is enough to bring the 1st RC2 class win since Turkey 2019 (Greensmith).

Suninen is with Hyundai now. But Huttunen?
    No sorry, I meant you'd think Hyundai would've wanted to start Suninen here considering it could've been a good event for him.

I don't understand why Hyundai are having such issues

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    No sorry, I meant you'd think Hyundai would've wanted to start Suninen here considering it could've been a good event for him.

I don't understand why Hyundai are having such issues
    I think it's easy to understand:
    - lack of spare parts (COVID)
    - busy with Rally1 car
    - no team leader
    - lots of things to develop with Rally2 car

- busy with Rally1 car
    - no team leader
    Yeah, Rally2 is clearly not the emergency at the moment for them; they still have enough rallyes to build a good program for Suninen (Portugal, Italy, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Spain + another one example). From Portugal, it is still possible to build a program (same for Ostberg in another case if he is not in Sweden and find some fundings) when you are not a tarmac driver.

However, I think it is representative of the disorder in Hyundai currently. Let’s hope we’re wrong and that they can improved both Rally1 and Rally2 cars.
    Last edited by Danny0405; 25th January 2022 at 10:26.

10. Likes: pantealex (25th January 2022)
    - busy with Rally1 car
    - no team leader
    Nothing reflects well on them atm.

Spent so long developing that new R5 - even pushed back its homologation amid rumours they were having a few issues - and then when they eventually got it rally ready it has multiple issues and wasn't exactly blindingly quick. Neuville, Breen, Tanak, Huttunen, Solberg etc were all involved with that car too..., so no lack of driver knowledge.

They twiddle their thumbs in Korea before giving the green light for the hybrid era rally1, delaying the start or testing and development. Car on its first start looks off the pace / has numerous technical issues and "scared Neuville".

They're highlighting spare part issues as problems with both rally1 development and R5. Yet they are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world - is it that bad an issue for them??? Its not like they need parts to the extent they would do, if they are mass producing a road car. - maybe that's not how it works, but what sort of parts are they waiting on that weren't available, that are going to improve them?

Neuville knows the issues but won't discuss. All seems a bit worrying + plus you have Adamo leaving and still no new team leader.

They need to get their act in gear quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    Yeah, Rally2 is clearly not the emergency at the moment for them; they still have enough rallyes to build a good program for Suninen (Portugal, Italy, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Spain + another one example). From Portugal, it is still possible to build a program (same for Ostberg in another case if he is not in Sweden and find some fundings) when you are not a tarmac driver.

However, I think it is representative of the disorder in Hyundai currently. Let’s hope we’re wrong and that they can improved both Rally1 and Rally2 cars.
    Even if they start in Croatia it's 3 months away, lots of time to work.