Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677
    Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Is that a good or bad thing?
    Uvåns Näringslivscenter is the local Business organisation i Värmland, where the rally used to be located.
    So it is only logical, that they now in the coming year will connect closer to local businesses in the Västerbotten region, where Umeå is the hub.
    They saw this year what options they need to focus on, and money to be made!

2. Likes: WRCStan (9th March 2022)
    Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Looking back on the different stages I have a couple of lessons identified.

1. Too many of the stages are equal in that we have long straights, cross, straight, cross. More like Belgian rallies between the fields. I guess many roads are like that, but try to fine other roads with different challenges, or make new parts of the road, like long "joker laps" with some cool corners and jumps.

2. Water all stages so they have the right ice sole. I giess many of the roads have too little traffic to compress the snow enough.

3. Re introduce a frozen lake stage, as we used to see in the past.

A very good first year, that with som adjustments will be even better!!

4. Likes: AnttiL (10th March 2022),BleAivano (10th March 2022),Rallyper (10th March 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    On winter rallies with enough snow and freeze you are able to use small forest tracks, or even frozen lakes, swamps and fields as a part of the route to make it more technical and interesting instead of just long straight after another. I hope they start experimenting more next year, or find more interesting roads. But I think otherwise everyone has been happy with the rally. I don't even know if watering would be needed since conditions seemed to be quite good (apart from second runs after historic cars, but that's not something even freezing could help?)

6. Likes: becher (10th March 2022),BleAivano (10th March 2022)
    Liked 400 Times in 210 Posts
    I've only sern the TV stages and found them pretty boring. Where the other stages better to watch?

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    I've only sern the TV stages and found them pretty boring. Where the other stages better to watch?
    Live (I mean real live not tv) each stage was interesting to watch. Except shakedown, it was boring, had to spectate too far from stage.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

9. Likes: becher (11th March 2022),BleAivano (12th March 2022),Rally Hokkaido (12th March 2022),Rallyper (12th March 2022)
    Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Live (I mean real live not tv) each stage was interesting to watch. Except shakedown, it was boring, had to spectate too far from stage.
    You had to go 1km in from the finish to find the good corners as the finish had some new trees planted close to the road it looked like, there you could be pretty much anywhere you wanted. Read about some who got stopped but we could walk in just over 1 hour before. I think it's only Sweden that stoppes you from walking past where there are marshals? Like P2 on Vindeln you came into the gravel pit area and could not walk past the junction towards the finish, ended up walking through the forest but it ruins it for the normal spectator when you're left with a slow combination, opening clip of my movie is 1km in the other direction with much more open forest with better view and faster corners.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

11. Likes: BleAivano (12th March 2022)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    They could make any TV stage boring to watch.

The general AllLive stages looked good and generally do on all rallies. I hate "TV" stages, they show the last 3mins of the stage for all top drivers and waste 30secs showing every crew delayed from the start line. Apart from that the whole rest of the stage goes uncovered, unless for the first car or two.

It gets annoying if there's a battle on for the lead, between 2 or 3 drivers. But they spend 3minutes at the end of the stage filming Greensmith in no man's land

13. Likes: Rallyper (13th March 2022)
    When we talk about a rally being boring we can talk about three aspects:

1. What the drivers see throughout the route
    2. What a spectator sees on the spots that they choose, how easy/difficult it is to choose the spots, how are the official spots
    3. What a TV / All Live spectator sees on the spots that the WRC+ crew has chosen, and how the angles are

I would say that for the on-location spectator it's easiest to change the perception by just going to a different place, and it could be a matter of moving 100m. Also people like different things. Some people like the cars to go at 190 km/h on a straight, some like them brake and accelerate into junctions, and everything between.

I would say that having watched the onboards, these stages were a bit boring with the long straights and the narrow technical sections where the drivers can't make much of line choice. I would have liked more flat minus / medium corners on wider roads.

15. Likes: becher (13th March 2022),pantealex (14th March 2022)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Very important that the videoinhouse crew do the right changes of pictures in the production.

For instance, when you see important driver coming in to a difficult part of a stage, they suddenly changes to the startline for 20-30 second instead of showing how did he manage that special corner. Agree with er88 that it´s a waste showing every driver at the start.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

17. Likes: BleAivano (13th March 2022),tommeke_B (13th March 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post

For instance, when you see important driver coming in to a difficult part of a stage, they suddenly changes to the startline for 20-30 second instead of showing how did he manage that special corner. Agree with er88 that it´s a waste showing every driver at the start.
    Yeah, I get annoyed with that. Often it almost feels there's some sections they don't want to show, like a tarmac section on a gravel stage or more recently, the small houseyard part on the Långed stage in Sweden. But maybe it could also be just coincidental. I also agree as a rally nerd that seeing drivers on the start line is not informative, it's as much of a gimmick as seeing an fx camera showing the turbo or damper.

19. Likes: pantealex (14th March 2022),Rallyper (13th March 2022),steve.mandzij (13th March 2022)