Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
    Liked 71 Times in 30 Posts
    What a rally to see in real time. Stages very close together, conditions absolutely perfect but not to put a negative spin the marshals need to be on the same page. In some stages when we arrived 2.5hrs before first car we where refused to walk along the stage to our marked spectator point, being told we must stay at this spectator location only. Then on other stages it wasn't an issue. Marshalling is a tough job and I have respect for the people who do this but for next year its something they need to work on.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

2. Likes: BleAivano (28th February 2022),Hartusvuori (28th February 2022),pantealex (1st March 2022),satnav (28th February 2022),seb_sh (28th February 2022),Simmi (28th February 2022),SubaruNorway (28th February 2022),the sniper (28th February 2022)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMS View Post
    What a rally to see in real time. Stages very close together, conditions absolutely perfect but not to put a negative spin the marshals need to be on the same page. In some stages when we arrived 2.5hrs before first car we where refused to walk along the stage to our marked spectator point, being told we must stay at this spectator location only. Then on other stages it wasn't an issue. Marshalling is a tough job and I have respect for the people who do this but for next year its something they need to work on.

We had exactly similar issues on a handful of stages. It was often as if only the marked areas were allowed. Sometimes you could continue walking further, sometimes they stopped. When there is no real reason for this, it's just annoying. Once they told me to take a marked detour instead of walking 200 meters on the road and continue. That was fine, because the reason was that a house owner didn't want anyone to pass their house - except the rally stage and spectators after the stage... Then, eventually, when spectating on a non-spectator zone, even with marshals, it was just fine. They just tried to deny the access, no matter was it 1,5 hours or 45 minutes before the stage. But I'm sure, comes the second year in Umeå, they are more experienced, know more about the spectator behaviour too and through that grow some common sense.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday when leaving Sarsjöliden after the first run. I walked from the field to the road after the last car. A marshal there said I couldn't walk on the stage. I said it was the last car. He asked where I was intending to go. I replied "back home to Finland". He just smiled and showed with his hand that "Finland is that way. Have a nice day!" I started to walk, but some 15 meters later another marshal from the field started to run in the waist deep snow ("run") shouting that I couldn't walk on the road. Fekking hell.

All in all, the event was really nice. Maybe because I wasn't expecting anything special, it turned out so good. Also, the weather after Thursday 11AM was just 10/10 perfect. I could've stood there in the woods even without the rally. Also, everything was super well organized. This year there were no seperate charges for parking and that made parking easy, no queues. Also good field parks. Snow was deep. This year we have had too a lot of snow. There have been winters on the Finnish side of the gulf with a lot less snow, so Umeå can't be snow-guaranteed, but it's more so than anything 800 km South from it. I'm most likely to return next year, I see no reason why not.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

4. Likes: pantealex (1st March 2022),Rally Hokkaido (28th February 2022),satnav (28th February 2022),seb_sh (28th February 2022),SubaruNorway (28th February 2022),the sniper (28th February 2022),tommeke_B (28th February 2022)
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Interesting to hear. I think this isn't a problem unique to Sweden - it happens on many rallies at all levels. Some marshals apply general common sense, others complete inflexibility. Human nature. But it's pretty infuriating when you encounter different stances within a few hundred metres. At least they don't try to fight you like in Spain!

How was it from spectator points viewing over the snowbanks? I've seen some pictures and videos seeing only windows and roofs. Must be important to get there early and find your own spots.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Interesting to hear. I think this isn't a problem unique to Sweden - it happens on many rallies at all levels. Some marshals apply general common sense, others complete inflexibility. Human nature. But it's pretty infuriating when you encounter different stances within a few hundred metres. At least they don't try to fight you like in Spain!

How was it from spectator points viewing over the snowbanks? I've seen some pictures and videos seeing only windows and roofs. Must be important to get there early and find your own spots.
    I did mostly spectate on other than spectator zones and on my point of views it was always a good view on the car. Sometimes I packed some snow (I had a shovel) to make it possible to stand a bit higher. In many places the snowbanks were around 60-80 cm, sometimes higher, but I think most of the spectator zones were somewhat above the road level. Sometimes very far too, like in the shakedown. For some people that is just fine, easy access.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts
    My video from Rally Sweden 2022 jumps, flat out, slides 🙂
    https://youtu.be/r5KeSufx81c

8. Likes: BleAivano (28th February 2022),EstWRC (28th February 2022),lancia037 (1st March 2022)
    Liked 1,884 Times in 737 Posts
    Yeah it was tricky in places with marshals and there was one guy with beard and pink? headphones we saw on several places always screaming, like on the Brattby jump i couldn't really see so much with all the people sticking their heads and phones out right at the last second for Rally1 and some spaniards almost ended up in a fight with the marshals and constantly arguing with two young girls so i moved up by the other photographers for WRC2 in a less safe place, then the beard guy was right behind me filming with his phone saying nothing suddenly. Powerstage i had to give up filming by P2, no energy left, you should see my feet!
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

10. Likes: BleAivano (28th February 2022),the sniper (28th February 2022)
    Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

I saw a preview video on yt and the safety chief (or something like that) mentioned that they would be very strict regarding people walking on the stage,
    IMO until 30 min before start of 0 car on stage it should be ok to walk on the stage away from a spectator area, especially if there are few access roads.

I was unable to travel to Umeå this year but hope to be able to attend next year. Also now that they have signed for two more years perhaps they will be able to tweak the course a bit if needed.
    Most importantly Umeå delivered when it came to the white stuff, so nice to see a Rally Sweden held in proper winter conditions.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts

13. Likes: EstWRC (28th February 2022)
    Liked 1,045 Times in 303 Posts
    It was a special Rally Sweden 2022, for sure more strict than before on some places. But already looking forward to next year!

My gallery: https://www.ir7.at/content/fotos_bestof_wrc_rallye_schweden_2022.html

Last edited by hari; 28th February 2022 at 17:31.

15. Likes: AnttiL (1st March 2022),EstWRC (28th February 2022),lancia037 (1st March 2022),pantealex (1st March 2022),steve.mandzij (28th February 2022),the sniper (28th February 2022)
    Liked 93 Times in 48 Posts

SS3 1,5 hours before first car.
    First, the "envelope" area at junction was about 300 - 400 meters long. WTF? Second, marshals did not allow tu use it (1,5 hours before) and forced the spectators to ditch. There was about 60 - 70 cm snow there, I literally sank in up to the balls. Got myself back to road, told marshals to fuck off and marched to the spectator area. Majority of law abinding locals followed the ditch though. Poor them.

In conclusion (based on many things) - one of the most terribly organised rallies in my 45 years long spectating history. Not worth going next year.