Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Baumschlager said himself they tested with Aigner back to back driving R5 and electric on same stage and electric was 1s/km slower.

One simple way would simply be to turn on more power (that the car is easily capable off), say 50?hp more?
    On the other hand the Rally2 is "top spec" developed over many years, the electric car is still a "semi-works" prototype. So maybe they can make it faster by other improvements.

Also the electric car afaik still uses same basic Fabia shell/chassis. Guess it could be more optimized if build from ground up.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    One simple way would simply be to turn on more power (that the car is easily capable off), say 50?hp more?
    That would decrease the range. The power is already around 350 Hp in rally mode, i.e. reasonably more than the Rally2. The issue is the weight.

Also the electric car afaik still uses same basic Fabia shell/chassis. Guess it could be more optimized if build from ground up.
    It's not totally same. Škoda Motorsport built a special modified chassis for this car however I don't know the exact differences.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: dimviii (18th July 2021),EstWRC (18th July 2021),the sniper (18th July 2021),TWRC (19th July 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That would decrease the range. The power is already around 350 Hp in rally mode, i.e. reasonably more than the Rally2. The issue is the weight.
    I think I heard 50? stage km range (or 35?, not sure).
    Going for 400 hp would decrease it to say 40?

Baumschlager also mentioned some other possibilities for lowering weight.

Another question is if it should be "exactly" same speed as Rally2, which it likely will never be. Either it will be a bit slower or a bit faster, a lot depending on the stage I guess.

I think I heard 50? stage km range (or 35?, not sure).
    Going for 400 hp would decrease it to say 40?
    The ÖRM event schedules are already built so that this car can compete. I don't think you'll raise the popularity of the car by further concessions in favour of it.

Baumschlager also mentioned some other possibilities for lowering weight.
    Of course, if you make the bonnet, roof or door from carbon fiber, the windows from polycarbonate you'll save weight but by allowing features which are forbidden for other rally cars.
    Last edited by Mirek; 18th July 2021 at 22:15.

6. Likes: WRC1 (19th July 2021)
    Liked 1,045 Times in 303 Posts
    The ÖRM event schedules are already built so that this car can compete. I don't think you'll raise the popularity of the car by further concessions in favour of it.
    The Itinerary of Rallye Weiz 2021 is identical to the last edition 2019....

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts

Of course, if you make the bonnet, roof or door from carbon fiber, the windows from polycarbonate you'll save weight but by allowing features which are forbidden for other rally cars.
    And ofc you raise the cost

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

9. Likes: WRC1 (19th July 2021)
    How rally itinary is build up and where fueling/charging zones are is of extremely little interest to anyone but drivers.

(But sure people that want to complain about electric cars will always find something to point fingers at. The most funny one I see about this rally car is that it's not ecological cause it needs to be charged...(from whatever source). Electric rally car is not doing a rally cause it's ecological, it's doing it cause the manufacturer wants to showcase a car that is similar to what they want to sell).

Baumschlager said it pretty clearly. If we want sponsors and manus in rally in the future, the car needs to be similar to what manus/sponsors try to sell.

For an electric rally car the main and only goal needs to be that it's interesting to watch on stages. Driving of this one looks interesting, I am not quite sure about the sound yet.

Would it look better with more power or with less weight?

With regards to (running) cost I have no idea how it might compare with R5. Suspension etc should be similar (a bit more more now with weight, same if same weight).
    Battery capacity shouldn't affect speed so they can likely last a bit. No idea how much degradation the electric engines get, probably a lot less than petrol.
    Cooling system probably about same.
    No gearbox/ALS/ turbo etc.

11. Likes: RS (21st July 2021)
    An honest question. How is it with the safety requirements for the mechanics? By the safety law which is applied in my current job it is not allowed to work on high voltage systems without having appropriate electrical engineering degree. Are the Kreisel mechanics electricians or how is it done to abide the safety law?

13. Likes: cali (19th July 2021),pantealex (20th July 2021)
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Z - my understanding is the training organisations offer a hybrid car/ electric car repair/ remedy training course which is held over a year. It is 9 days total in a training workshop and a lot of online course material to do. You need to be a level 4 mechanic to apply.
    Toyota NZ have their own training course for their hybrid cars. They selected their best mechanics when the prius was first introduced for the initial training.

The NZ fire and emergency/ car crash rescue staff have training for electric/ modern high voltage vehicles. NZ Fire trainers went to USA for Tesla and Fremont Fire Department training on how to deal with Teslas in accidents.
    There are a few NZ companies doing electric truck conversions (sea electric, e-trucks etc) and the staff would all have electrical safety training.

Paddon was hoping to recharge the Kona ev rally in 10 minutes. Modern wrc are not highly economical with their liquid fuel use at around 700ml/ km in stage mode (for gravel?) Look at the refuel zones around this year's Sardinia wrc event route.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Inside the debut of Škoda’s electric rally car

Raimund Baumschlager made the podium of Rallye Weiz in the first ever event for the all-electric Škoda Kreisel RE-X1

https://dirtfish.com/rally/inside-th...ric-rally-car/