Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    what this has to do with me following Tänak and how he went through the corner? lol

i was talking about the bigger picture why other people like and follow this sport
    You wrote you don't know anybody who is interested in rally due to stagetimes (among other things). So either you don't know yourself or you are over-simplifying things. I'd say the latter is correct, so I responded on same level.
    I was also talking about the bigger picture and mentioned what differentiates rally from other (motor)sports. This you skipped (twice now) for one-line wisdoms.

To go back from trolling:
    - I do claim that rallies taking part on normal roads behind people's houses is how most people get to know rally in the first place.

- Go-kart competition or the mentioned hillclimbs can also take place on normal roads, but since the "cars" are relatively alien it's much harder to relate to for fans (and manus) and is less popular. My claim following this is that if cars that people drive daily run on petrol, electric feels and looks alien, but similarly when people drive electric cars, petrol cars will start to look alien (especially to new fans)

- Without stagetimes there would be no "on the limit" driving, could still be spectacular though. When you (as a more interested fan) are not at a rally and there is no live vid you still follow stagetimes.
    Last edited by mknight; 17th June 2021 at 09:21.

2. Likes: Tanelv (18th June 2021)
    Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    why every answer is always trolling to you?

i see you have said this to me in the past and also to other members like dimviii as well. The fact that we just answer shortly and express our opinions differently doesnt mean its trolling.

i would say in this case you started trolling with your Tänak example addressed to me.

the only thing i agree from your examples is stage times, thats indeed why many people follow the sport.

But from MY experience (going to rallies, talking to peeople etc), im still gonna say that sideways on the limit driving is nr.1 reason why people get attracted to this sport. The rest comes after that.

JUST MY OPINION
    Last edited by EstWRC; 17th June 2021 at 08:56.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: steve.mandzij (17th June 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    But from MY experience (going to rallies, talking to peeople etc), im still gonna say that sideways on the limit driving is nr.1 reason why people get attracted to this sport. The rest comes after that.
    Probably, but then you can ask why they like rally and not rallycross or speedway or drifting instead?

Rallying is a very complicated sport to explain to someone, I've noticed it now that my four year old kid is starting to ask questions. On circuit racing it's more straightforward, the first car which completes the number of laps is the winner.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    My claim following this is that if cars that people drive daily run on petrol, electric feels and looks alien, but similarly when people drive electric cars, petrol cars will start to look alien (especially to new fans)
    This is an important point. Not yet, since electric cars are still in the minority, but it could be already different in ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    This is an important point. Not yet, since electric cars are still in the minority, but it could be already different in ten years.
    Which brings us back to what a I posted few pages back.

Here 1/3 to 1/2 of the cars you see on the road are electric, and notably majority of "new and cool" cars on the road are. Which is likely why my son asked why aren't any of those rallycars on the stage electric.

8. Likes: AnttiL (17th June 2021),steve.mandzij (17th June 2021),Tanelv (18th June 2021)
    Liked 2,088 Times in 902 Posts
    why every answer is always trolling to you?

i see you have said this to me in the past and also to other members like dimviii as well. The fact that we just answer shortly and express our opinions differently doesnt mean its trolling.

i would say in this case you started trolling with your Tänak example addressed to me.

the only thing i agree from your examples is stage times, thats indeed why many people follow the sport.

JUST MY OPINION
    Other than his opinion is trolling or false..

If the noise is too big, then there are noise cancelling headphones or earplugs available..

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    It's not the sound in itself that attracts people, it's the sense of speed that is created by the sound.

Its very difficult to judge the speed of a car just visually. A low rev megane r4 always looks slow because it sounds like a tractor, while a high revving s1600 car may be slower but looks a lot faster.

Also, the sound alows you to hear what a driver is doing. Is he keeping his foot down or is he lifting, is he breaking early or late. Is he driving clean or is he pushing.

Therefore if they actually want people to come and watch electric cars race, they will need a way to create sound that indicates how much throttle the drivers applies.

11. Likes: AndyRAC (17th June 2021),Tanelv (18th June 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    It's not the sound in itself that attracts people, it's the sense of speed that is created by the sound.

Its very difficult to judge the speed of a car just visually. A low rev megane r4 always looks slow because it sounds like a tractor, while a high revving s1600 car may be slower but looks a lot faster.
    Yes, but does the sense of speed created by sound come from "knowing/expecting" that more sound=more speed? I would expect so.

"By experience" we "know" that more engine sound=faster. If our experience from early on is different, maybe we won't get that association at all. This is what I thought when my son wondered why the cars are noisy (and slow, as it was an R2) instead of "silent" and fast. For me it was a bit of a revelation moment. Precisely because he does not have that "sound=speed" association from before, maybe he doesn't mind less sound.

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Also, the sound alows you to hear what a driver is doing. Is he keeping his foot down or is he lifting, is he breaking early or late. Is he driving clean or is he pushing.

Therefore if they actually want people to come and watch electric cars race, they will need a way to create sound that indicates how much throttle the drivers applies.
    Totally agree.

The electric Fabia guys say that they somehow tried it and it seems to show on the last vid.

But for me it's not distinct enough yet. Lifting is ok, but hard to say how much throttle he has and braking is weird.
    Last edited by mknight; 17th June 2021 at 15:47.

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Yes, but does the sense of speed created by sound come from "knowing/expecting" that more sound=more speed? I would expect so.
    It's not so much "more" sound. Just making it louder dus not much improve the impression of speed. A tractor still sound like a tractor, no matter how loud you make it. Although loud sounds do create stress and thus adrenaline though.

Its more about high revs, about changes in the intensity of the sound. Its about not being monotonous.

Its just like music, you can play mozart as loud as you want but it still doesn't make you jump up and down.

14. Likes: pantealex (17th June 2021)
    Liked 1,023 Times in 293 Posts
    Having the opportunity to follow about 15 testdays with the Skoda Kreisel RE-X1 on all surfaces until now I can only report from my side that all the fuss about the missing / unusual sound is just a matter of being used to the common.

It was strange at the beginning, but after a suprisingly short time you get used to it. Now I already like the futuristic sound.
    You cannot judge from the videos alone, the live impression is different. But it looks like a rally car, it drives like a car and its absolutely stunning to see how it envolves.

I have absolutely no fear about the future of our sport if it brings something in this direction in some years.

16. Likes: AnttiL (17th June 2021),Corcaíoch (17th June 2021),focus206 (17th June 2021),RS (20th June 2021),skarderud (17th June 2021),steve.mandzij (17th June 2021),Tanelv (18th June 2021),wyler (18th June 2021)