Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hari View Post
    Having the opportunity to follow about 15 testdays with the Skoda Kreisel RE-X1 on all surfaces until now I can only report from my side that all the fuss about the missing / unusual sound is just a matter of being used to the common.

It was strange at the beginning, but after a suprisingly short time you get used to it. Now I already like the futuristic sound.
    You cannot judge from the videos alone, the live impression is different. But it looks like a rally car, it drives like a car and its absolutely stunning to see how it envolves.

I have absolutely no fear about the future of our sport if it brings something in this direction in some years.
    Exactly, it's not worse, it's different. Perhaps in some years somebody will find a way to make a fully sustainable, no caveat fuel to keep ICE engines alive in some way, shape or form, but should rally go electric it'll just be a matter of getting used to the new sound.

I'm in the minority, surely, that enjoyed Formula E's futuristic wooshing sound both times I saw them in person. I wouldn't dislike an electric rally car to have an amplified electric noise, for instance; and cars like Hayden Paddon's Kona EV already have a lot of electric whine noise, which sounds cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2. Likes: RS (20th June 2021),Tanelv (20th July 2021),wildboar (18th June 2021)
    Liked 1,035 Times in 299 Posts

4. Likes: AnttiL (22nd June 2021)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Fabia R5 vs Electric Fabia:

https://youtu.be/icx6PWyHOlo

Car looks damn quick in a straight line at least.

If this car and othera can compete on a 'normal' rally in a normal way, I suppose it won't be long until the FIA introduce a 'Rally2e' class or something along those lines.

6. Likes: AnttiL (10th July 2021)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    I think I heard about 50 stage km range and charging times were like 20 mins (not sure how big % range), so probably one charging spot per section.
    Good idea to "tune it" to about same speed as R5, obviously it will be hard to make it exactly the same.

For a class to work I'd say you need more manufacturers, Østberg mentioned Citroen working on a similar car at the start of the year.
    If you do that there need to be "unexploitable" rules.

Power control shouldn't be so hard, something based on limiting the power going from batteries (similar to restrictor limiting airflow).
    "Traction control", might be more difficult. Since there is no mechanical connection between front and rear there is electronic "center diff" already included. How can that be controlled and changes limited? Homologated code?

Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    How power is controlled and checked, also a safety video on here
    https://youtu.be/vc7QzVzNtsg

CC for subtitles
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

9. Likes: AnttiL (10th July 2021),mknight (10th July 2021),RS (11th July 2021)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Baumschlager said in an interview for ewrc that the car had 1368 kg, i.e. 170 kg more than R5. It has 345 Hp in rally mode and 700 Hp in RX mode. If I understood right they count with 5-7 minutes of charging between each stage in Austrian championship.
    Last edited by Mirek; 10th July 2021 at 11:34.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: AnttiL (10th July 2021)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    How power is controlled and checked, also a safety video on here
    https://youtu.be/vc7QzVzNtsg

CC for subtitles
    Nah, no subtitles needed.
    Stohl has great "hardcore" Austrian accent btw.

Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    I think yesterday it was the first rally for the electric Skoda of Baumschlager. The car is definitely slower than R5s despite the huge torque. He finished 2':47'' behind the leader, which is not what Baumschlager does when he is competing with an R5.
    However, it would be interesting to know how they managed to recharge it in a rally that had as much as eight SS in one day. Is it true that they had one fast recharger after each stage?
    Last edited by scn; 18th July 2021 at 11:56.

14. Likes: dimviii (18th July 2021)
    Liked 1,035 Times in 299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    I think yesterday it was the first rally for the electric Skoda of Baumschlager. The car is definitely slower than R5s despite the huge torque. He finished 2':47'' behind the leader, which is not what Baumschlager does when he is competing with an R5. However, it would be interesting to know how they managed to recharge it in a rally that had as much as eight SS in one day. Is it true that they had one fast recharger after each stage?
    The car can be charged in the servicepark and when refueling for other cars is allowed on the liasion (like Mitsubishis with the small tank etc.).
    Here is the itinerary of Rally Weiz: http://www.rallye-weiz.at/2021/DOK/zeitplan.pdf

There was absolutely no problem with the distances at Rallye Weiz with a lot of buffer.

The premiere of the Skoda Kreisel RE-X1 was a big success. Remember it was the first rally of such a kind of car and the stages of Rallye Weiz with a lot of downhill sections did not suit the car with the heavier weight. The progress in the next months / years will be very interesting to follow.

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    It must be very hard to find an accurate equivalence with the power vs. the R5 as the advantage of extra power vs. disadvantage of the extra weight will vary from rally to rally.

Is this the first 'real rally' for an electric rally car or does Paddon compete amongst the main field with his too?

17. Likes: cali (18th July 2021)