Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast
    Liked 11,163 Times in 4,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    And even the speed guns of the police have a rather big margin of error.

Only gps speeds should really be trusted.
    Police radars are usually under +/- 3 km/h (at least here). That's not a big margin of error and it's not worse than GPS.

GPS speed is not accurate. GPS has large latency, limited position accuracy and very bad accuracy in vertical (i.e. when the road leads uphill or downhill it can not correctly count the real distance you drove during the signal period). It's accurate basically only when the speed is high and constant over a certain period of time. For dynamic driving where you accelerate and brake and nothing in between it is useless. It is also useless when you drive really slow. Basically the faster you move the lower GPS error (because it comes from the position accuracy which is usually around +/- 6 meters). When you walk GPS gives total bullshit speed numbers which is normal. With rising speed that bullshit gets more reasonable.

The most accurate measurement of speed is via optical or radar sensors mounted on the car itself (those tubes pointed on the ground you see during testing). The stationary radars are second best, if well calibrated (there are more precise ones than those used by police as well).
    Last edited by Mirek; 18th August 2021 at 20:07.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: cali (19th August 2021),Integrale (18th August 2021)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Martijn Wydaeghe said in a podcast after the rally, that the topspeeds on WRC+ are not reliable. He says that in reality, they go near the 200km/h.
    I’ve always suspected that was the case, 185/190kph just seemed a bit slow for what I was watching.
    Didn’t someone use a gun on Monte in 2017 and record something like 212kph? I’m sure as has been explained there is some error in that, but I doubt it’s 20/25kph error

I wonder if the displayed speeds on WRC+ are deliberately low so as not to advertise just how fast they really are going? I would imagine the new cars should have more top speed with more power and less aero drag…

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I've understood the 2.0L WRC cars constantly did over 200 km/h speeds but since the 1.6L cars the gear ratios have been shorter, leaving top speeds lower.

I don't know why WRC+ would like about the top speeds. If something, they would probably make the top speeds appear faster than they actually are!

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Police radars are usually under +/- 3 km/h (at least here). That's not a big margin of error and it's not worse than GPS.

GPS speed is not accurate. GPS has large latency, limited position accuracy and very bad accuracy in vertical (i.e. when the road leads uphill or downhill it can not correctly count the real distance you drove during the signal period). It's accurate basically only when the speed is high and constant over a certain period of time. For dynamic driving where you accelerate and brake and nothing in between it is useless. It is also useless when you drive really slow. Basically the faster you move the lower GPS error (because it comes from the position accuracy which is usually around +/- 6 meters). When you walk GPS gives total bullshit speed numbers which is normal. With rising speed that bullshit gets more reasonable.

The most accurate measurement of speed is via optical or radar sensors mounted on the car itself (those tubes pointed on the ground you see during testing). The stationary radars are second best, if well calibrated (there are more precise ones than those used by police as well).
    I know about the problems with gps, but when we are talking about max speeds that means at the limiter on a long straight for some time. In those conditions gps is nearly perfect.

The problem with radar is that it has to calibrated at the exact spot in the exact conditions to work perfect. Only fixed radars wil be surely within those 3km/h. Manually placed tripods and especially handheld devices like in the video have even smaller accuracy, even when calibrated often.

6. Likes: Integrale (19th August 2021)
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

8. Likes: Corcaíoch (28th August 2021),dimviii (23rd August 2021),Eli (23rd August 2021),EstWRC (23rd August 2021),Fredouye (21st August 2021),KiwiRallyFan (22nd August 2021),Mirek (23rd August 2021)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Very good gallery because it has pictures of "different cars" also, not only those same WRC and top WRC2/3 entries.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 1,483 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Fantastic photos, makes me realize how much I'm gonna miss seeing these machines, especially the i20 WRC Coupe, the best looking from the bunch (imho) in this short era. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

11. Likes: dimviii (23rd August 2021)
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Another Rally, where Tänak showed, that he cant be competitive behind the wheel of Hyundai. Strange, that first stage there seemed to be a hope of good speed, but after he just diffused away, like every rally, he just looses his speed or there will be a technical failure. Think it is a karma he left Toyota. Hyundai, just isnt a car for personal titel.

Hope, 2021 Hyundai will more like to Tänak, because we know, Tänak is a very good developer

Liked 488 Times in 188 Posts
    In my opinion it wasn't too bad. After day 1, he was the best of the rest behind Neuville and Breen, who both had previous experience from this rally. Apart from Breen, everybody else lost over 30s to Neuville after day 1 and Tänak was "leading" the pack. Also he won PS so speed was there just not the experience. It was a very specific rally where previous knowledge seemed to play an important role.

14. Likes: AnttiL (30th August 2021),pantealex (30th August 2021)
    Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    the guy hasnt followed this season at all it seems to me based on that post....
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

16. Likes: pantealex (30th August 2021)