Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Interesting race again, and quite a bit of action considering the circuit.

Blazing start by Max. He took the straight line, got a great bite and drive off the line, and forced Lewis wide when he had the chance. Lewis was fortunate to not have more damage, as were several others over the day when bouncing over those curbs.

Great recovery drive by Lewis, though the Bottas/Russell incident and sheer luck played a big part in his final position. In any case he still would have got his way back well into the points most likely, and recovered well after his escape following the off. Great effort to regain the podium and fast lap.

Great to see Lando retain the podium after a tire choice call I questioned at the time. But I do think that the track limits issue should have been brought up again. Lando consistently went four wheels off, as did several other drivers on a couple of corners. Tsunoda got a penalty, but was the only one. I personally think track limits should apply on all corners, all the time. In this case it might have determined if Lando got past Leclerc or not, but in any case there is always an advantage to be gained. Of the rest of the front runners, a couple of them might have called it close or went four wheels off barely.... once or twice that I saw.

Good results for both Mclaren and Ferrari. I'm sure that was welcomed from both teams.

Russell had that car up in the points until the off, not easy to do in the Williams.

Alonso scores a point after Kimi is handed a 30 second penalty... rather harsh IMO given the circumstances.

Losers of the race.... well just as many.

Perez really blew it several time. He should have easily had that car in the points, especially considering starting position. With all fairness with limited testing he is still getting used to the car, but the repass after sliding off during the safety car was a rookie mistake by both him, as well as the team, for not giving the positions back.

Tsunoda. Well, not a great day after all the good driving he did to mess up enough to nullify it all.

Bottas. Bad weekend all around, and I think he was the major factor in the off with himself and Russell. That would have been questionable in the dry, but in those conditions was unsafe IMHO.

Mayspin... did spin. But in all fairness has now been involved in an incident where it wasn't his fault.

With only 7 points between constructors, and 1 point in the WDC, it could be an interesting season. Lewis and Max might be after each other for a while, but I still say the bigger deciding factors in the constructors this year will be Bottas and Perez. They both blew it today, with Bottas being worse overall. But zero points contribution from either driver this race is just horrid.

2. Likes: truefan72 (19th April 2021)
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Toto Woolf has a blind spot when it comes to Bottas. If he were in another team, he would have been sent packing two seasons back.
    I think after "Rosberg", Toto is just happy to not have the drama. For the most part, Bottas does what they need him to do - run interference for Hamilton and score enough points so they win the constructors.

4. Likes: truefan72 (19th April 2021)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Not really, it was Russell's fault. Bottas gave him plenty of space but Russell dipped his tyres on the grass which caused him to spin into Bottas.
    Russells fault for me too. I initially blamed Bottas but after looking at the incident analysis on YT again.. Russell with his DRS open and going off the dry line into the wet it looks like he actually spun up his rear tyres before he hit the grass.

It was just overly ambitious by George Imo. He talked about this unwritten Gentlemens agreement not to defend because its wet? Nah, Come on, that's not very realistic. I can see why he went for it but in these one line conditions it was not really on.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    The old men, all almost out of the points. I think the nostalgia factor has worn off for Vettel, Alonso, and Raikkonen (I know Vettel isn't that old but he is driving like it).
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Russells fault for me too. I initially blamed Bottas but after looking at the incident analysis on YT again.. Russell with his DRS open and going off the dry line into the wet it looks like he actually spun up his rear tyres before he hit the grass.

It was just overly ambitious by George Imo. He talked about this unwritten Gentlemens agreement not to defend because its wet? Nah, Come on, that's not very realistic. I can see why he went for it but in these one line conditions it was not really on.
    For someone looking for a Mercedes seat in the future, he did Mercedes no favours this weekend. Firstly he got Hamilton to slide on to the grass as he refused to yield the racing line under blue flags, forcing Hamilton to overtake on the wet during a crucial lap to catch Verstappen, causing damage to his front wing. Then crashing into Bottas, in what should have been a surgical overtake.

Imola is a bogey track for Russell. This time around, it has only served to show Mercedes that he is not ready for the senior seat. Mercedes passed over Wehrlien and Ocon for much less.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th April 2021 at 12:19.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I think after "Rosberg", Toto is just happy to not have the drama. For the most part, Bottas does what they need him to do - run interference for Hamilton and score enough points so they win the constructors.
    I get that, but they also want someone close to Hamilton and consistent. This season, those attributes are what really matters to fight off Redbull.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    I get that, but they also want someone close to Hamilton and consistent. This season, those attributes are what really matters to fight off Redbull.
    And that may end what you call a "Toto blind spot"

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    The chink in Mercedes' armour is their crappy pitstops. Two in a row suggest they have the crappiest crew in the top end of the grid.
    the sad thing was as Hamilton was pulling into the pit stop, i knew they were going to somehow mess it up. It seems to be expected these days that they will botch up one car or the other, or both.
    In this case it probably cost Hamilton the lead. His pit stop was over 4secs, while Verstappen was 2.2, and LH pulled out a nice gap as well in his hammertime lap.
    Eh, it is what it is, and his eagerness to overtake the lapped cars eventually cost him, and he kinda finished were i thought he was going to finish anyway, lol.
    you can't argue with results.

Not really, it was Russell's fault. Bottas gave him plenty of space but Russell dipped his tyres on the grass which caused him to spin into Bottas.
    fair point, but to me the onboards show bottas make his one move to the left to cover the inside, then he jinked to the right as Russell was already along side and in the process of overtaking him. mind you, with much greater speed. TBH I believe Russell when he said, any other driver and Bottas would not have made that move. ultimately it cost them both and that is the worst possible outcome. Bottas excuse also doesn't hold up IMO. Russell was overtaking him and he knew that probably 2 corners ago already. Just didn't want to be passed by the Williams and Russell. In comparison, Hamilton fought with both sainz, leclerc and Norris to try and make that pass on the very same section, with multiple attempts to pass on the outside and all 3 of those drivers defended properly without swerving to the right.

Toto Woolf has a blind spot when it comes to Bottas. If he were in another team, he would have been sent packing two seasons back.
    I agree with both TBK and your assessment. On the one hand, i do believe that Bottas is probably on very thin ice with Mercedes. but the guy is still quick, relatively speaking, and capable of winning races. But yeah, Days like yesterday, makes one question if there isn't a better option for that seat.
    And yes, Toto does seem to have a soft spot for Bottas. Probably more to do with the fact that things have worked out pretty well for the team in the past 4 years with this current driver partnership, so you might as well continue with it until it all falls apart. Either way, I think this will be Bottas last year with the team and he is auditioning for Aston Martin, Williams and Sauber seat. So far his is not giving any of them a reason to pick him up.