Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    F1nKS,

I was surprised as well… ..but, BUT, his time has come, look at his experience and ALSO the comments by Martin Brundle on Sergio Pérez’s Wikipedia page…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_P%C3%A9rez

“Since Pérez announced his departure from Racing Point there was support from the media for him, with The Race saying it will be a "huge injustice were Perez not to be on the 2021 grid.".[83] Ex F1 driver turned Sky Sports F1 commentator/pundit Martin Brundle also echoed similar thoughts in his online column review the 2020 Turkish Grand Prix where Perez finished second and suggested that Perez "should be on Red Bull Racing's radar" to partner Max Verstappen in place of Alex Albon.[84]

Pérez won his first race at the Sakhir Grand Prix. On the first lap Pérez was hit by Leclerc and went from 2nd place to 18th and last. On lap 64 he took the lead and won the race ahead of Esteban Ocon and teammate Stroll. This was the first win for a Mexican driver since Pedro Rodríguez won the 1970 Belgian Grand Prix 50 years prior”

Persistence and patience ARE OMNIPOTENT and Sergio HAS those MANY racing hours of experience as well…

IMHO, Sergio Pérez has a VERY GOOD CHANCE to become F1 World Champion this year.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
    F1nKS,

I was surprised as well… ..but, BUT, his time has come, look at his experience and ALSO the comments by Martin Brundle on Sergio Pérez’s Wikipedia page…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_P%C3%A9rez

“Since Pérez announced his departure from Racing Point there was support from the media for him, with The Race saying it will be a "huge injustice were Perez not to be on the 2021 grid.".[83] Ex F1 driver turned Sky Sports F1 commentator/pundit Martin Brundle also echoed similar thoughts in his online column review the 2020 Turkish Grand Prix where Perez finished second and suggested that Perez "should be on Red Bull Racing's radar" to partner Max Verstappen in place of Alex Albon.[84]

Pérez won his first race at the Sakhir Grand Prix. On the first lap Pérez was hit by Leclerc and went from 2nd place to 18th and last. On lap 64 he took the lead and won the race ahead of Esteban Ocon and teammate Stroll. This was the first win for a Mexican driver since Pedro Rodríguez won the 1970 Belgian Grand Prix 50 years prior”

Persistence and patience ARE OMNIPOTENT and Sergio HAS those MANY racing hours of experience as well…

IMHO, Sergio Pérez has a VERY GOOD CHANCE to become F1 World Champion this year.

Well I wouldn't be putting be putting a penny on Perez becoming WDC this year.. though I'd certainly love to see that fairytale happen.
    Even if Perez did become Mr consistent and Red Bull were able to find more gains from their engine to be quicker than Hamilton in the Merc... would Red Bull let him beat Max, their Golden Boy?
    If they want to keep a hold of Max and stop him going to Merc they will most likely be handing Perez the No2 strategy Max support role.. and thats something I expect to see in the the race today.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Two Redbulls to one Mercedes. A reversal of Bahrain. The start is going to be interesting. I expect Perez to have a great start on the supersoft. Hamilton is going to be mugged by the bulls. This is a race for Redbull to win with ease but do not underestimate Hamilton and Mercedes.

Bottas was shite as usual, 8th in a car sitting on pole wtf. Bring on Russell.

Its not an overtaking circuit so strategy is going to be all important here but at least there is still exciting start prospects indeed.
    Its a tough ask but if you could choose anyone to try and hold off the Red Bulls and a team to win the strategy battle even if disadvantaged by Bottas not being in the mix, you'd pick Lewis and Merc.
    There could be a few accidents and safety cars in this one which means anything is possible, I just hope the Red Bulls don't take each other.. or Lewis out.

Really looking forward to this but the real question is... how many laps will Mazepin last?
    Closest wins a years free, free subscription to this forum. Think I'm gonna be a tad optimistic and say 5 laps. 🤔

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Its not an overtaking circuit so strategy is going to be all important here but at least there is still exciting start prospects indeed.
    Its a tough ask but if you could choose anyone to try and hold off the Red Bulls and a team to win the strategy battle even if disadvantaged by Bottas not being in the mix, you'd pick Lewis and Merc.
    There could be a few accidents and safety cars in this one which means anything is possible, I just hope the Red Bulls don't take each other.. or Lewis out.

Really looking forward to this but the real question is... how many laps will Mazepin last?
    Closest wins a years free, free subscription to this forum. Think I'm gonna be a tad optimistic and say 5 laps. ��
    LOL, that made me laugh. Mazespin! I think he would complete the race this time but dead last. He is looking like a bad joke at the moment but l think he would improve.

The start and race strategy is the winning factor at this track. Whoever makes it into the first corner; ahead and the quality of the work of the strategist on the pitwall would make the difference, l think. Perez is well placed to win this race. If he can get off the line well, those supersofts would most likely give the legs to leap ahead of the Mercedes of Hamilton. He would obviously pit earlier which would give him a chance to overcut Hamilton and Verstappen. He seems weak on the mediums yellow tyres, which may bring Hamiton back into contention. But with clever strategy and his brilliant tyre management, he could win this race.

I am thinking, Softs - Mediums [Long stint] - Softs [short stint] for Checo. But l think Mercedes would counter with Mediums - Softs [short stint to overtake Perez] - Medium, if Perez takes the leads off the start. If Hamilton stays in front through the first corner, then they would run their PLAN-A race which may be Medium - Hard two stop race.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Well I wouldn't be putting be putting a penny on Perez becoming WDC this year.. though I'd certainly love to see that fairytale happen.
    Even if Perez did become Mr consistent and Red Bull were able to find more gains from their engine to be quicker than Hamilton in the Merc... would Red Bull let him beat Max, their Golden Boy?
    If they want to keep a hold of Max and stop him going to Merc they will most likely be handing Perez the No2 strategy Max support role.. and thats something I expect to see in the the race today.

Redbull is all about winning. They would give support to that driver that presents them with a great chance of winning one or both of the titles. If Verstappen keeps making the mistakes he is making at the moment, and Perez starts winning races and putting it in front of Verstappen. Of course, the support would shift quite quickly to Perez.

That said, Verstappen is currently quicker than Perez in the Redbull. To be so close to Perez who is on soft with the medium tyre suggests that Verstappen is easily 0.300s faster. Hence, he is still the best chance that Redbull has at the moment. But Verstappen would need to clean up his act and recognize that Perez is probably one of the best drivers that he has partnered with in his racing career.

What we have seen at qualifying is that Perez would seize any chance thrown his way. Winning a championship is a percentage game. You do not need to be the fastest. But by Jove, you have to be the most consistent and fast enough to pounce when anyone in front messes up. Perez has all of those qualities and he also happens to be quite fast as well. Hence the chances of Perez becoming a driver world champion is a very realistic one. But that depends very much on how Hamilton and Mercedes perform at all the remaining tracks in this long season. Particularly the new tracks. How many mistakes Verstappen makes and how well Redbull team can operate relative to Mercedes.

That said, Verstappen also has a great chance to be World champion this season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 18th April 2021 at 12:19.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Hmm. Cleary max didn't give Hanilton any room .even if Hamilton backed off, max still simply drove like nobody was there smh

Perez should not be allowed to overtake those cars.

Perez should have simply given the positions back and he will have been ok. That was his mistake and the team’s not instructing him either

I wonder what Bottas excuse is going ti be this race

Jeezuz. Once again mercedes pit crew botches it. Unbelievable smh