Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Surprisingly the stewards report on the incident suggests Bottas didn't swerve... even though it looked that way to me initially also.

“The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 63 (George Russell), the driver of Car 77 (Valtteri Bottas) and the team representatives and reviewed multiple angles of video evidence and telemetry.

“Car 63 approached car 77 to pass after the front straight a few laps after the restart when DRS had recently been enabled. Car 77 maintained his line throughout the incident along the right hand side of the dry line, leaving at least a full car’s width to the right at all times.

“Car 63 approached with a significant speed advantage. He moved to pass on the right. As the cars approached the kink of turn 1, the gap between them and the right hand side of the track decreased. At no time did either car manoeuvre erratically.

“The track appeared to be not especially wet through turn 1 but at the point of closest approach to the right hand side of the track, the right hand side tyres of Car 63 hit an especially damp patch and the car snap yawed, bearing in mind that the car had low downforce in the rear with the DRS open.

“The Stewards conclude that the accident was a racing incident considering the conditions and take no further action.”

I guess the difference between a mere squeeze and a jink as Russell saw it, is relative to the closing speed. I can see this one both ways but if the telemetry showed that Bottas didn't do it, I feel they called it correctly.
    Although bottas in retrospective indeed left enough space, he swerved more to the right than any other car at that point. More than russel could reasonally expect from someone who has no intention to hinder him.

Bottas tried and succeeded into scaring russel. He had every right to do this, since he left the space, so it was indeed a racing incident.

But it still was incredibly stupid from bottas to do this to someone who's already alongside you on a wet track. Either russel passed anyway, or he takes you crashing with him.

2. Likes: airshifter (20th April 2021),Bagwan (19th April 2021),Zico (19th April 2021)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    by pulling his usual over aggressive move and damaging his opponents car.
    Without that move Hamilton would have had a fair chance of winning.

Cheers

Daniel
    I thought it was a shame that Verstappen was so aggressive at the first corner as he has now invited a similar treatment from now on. And Hamilton would definitely give him a good taste of this next time around. He has taken the duel to a place it did not need to go. We are now seeing a bit of the sort of scrapes we saw between Rosberg and Hamilton begin to brew so early in the season between Verstappen and Hamilton, and Verstappen has drawn first blood.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: truefan72 (26th April 2021)
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    by pulling his usual over aggressive move and damaging his opponents car.
    Without that move Hamilton would have had a fair chance of winning.

Cheers

Daniel
    It was actually a beautiful pincer move by the Red Bulls. Hamilton had to cover Perez and that left the door open to Max who got a great start to get in the mix.

Verstappen then is able to take the racing line and was faster than Hamilton and was able to get ahead. Lewis either had to backoff and let Verstappen to pass or go wide. Lewis chose not to give in and has goes wide over the kerbs and that is where he got his damage.

Regardless of the start, Hamilton still had a good chance to win, but Mercedes is not very good at pit changes. Still Hamilton had a chance, but Hamilton made a mistake and got into much a hurry and lost it - that ended his chance to challenge.

Verstappen better start, less errors, therefore better drive than Hamilton. Winner - Max.

It the same things we see over and over with Lewis, when he gets put under pressure and he get behind he makes overly aggressive moves and he usually screw up somebody else race - this time karma went against him and he screwed up his own drive.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 19th April 2021 at 22:02.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    It was actually a beautiful pincer move by the Red Bulls. Hamilton had to cover Perez and that left the door open to Max who got a great start to get in the mix.

Verstappen then is able to take the racing line and was faster than Hamilton and was able to get ahead. Lewis either had to backoff and let Verstappen to pass or go wide. Lewis chose not to give in and has goes wide over the kerbs and that is where he got his damage.

This is my exact view also. This is a WDC fight, its within the rules, the gloves are off, there will be no prisoners taken. I suspect Lewis would have done the exact same as he has done in the past..and will do the same to Max at some point in the next few races. In that event, as long as they steward it the exact same and not punish Lewis for it, its fair play for me.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    This is my exact view also. This is a WDC fight, its within the rules, the gloves are off, there will be no prisoners taken. I suspect Lewis would have done the exact same as he has done in the past..and will do the same to Max at some point in the next few races. In that event, as long as they steward it the exact same and not punish Lewis for it, its fair play for me.
    I hope you take the same view when Hamilton does the same next time round.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: truefan72 (26th April 2021)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I hope you take the same view when Hamilton does the same next time round.

Absolutely, however, if its a repeat of his Albon run out onto the grass but not being ahead of last year, don't expect it.
    I'm cool with a hard fair fight no matter who comes off worse, as long as they are both treated equally.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    We might get to see if Hamilton is really the "sore loser" that Albon called him.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I thought it was a shame that Verstappen was so aggressive at the first corner as he has now invited a similar treatment from now on. And Hamilton would definitely give him a good taste of this next time around. He has taken the duel to a place it did not need to go. We are now seeing a bit of the sort of scrapes we saw between Rosberg and Hamilton begin to brew so early in the season between Verstappen and Hamilton, and Verstappen has drawn first blood.
    Was it a shame that Hamilton did the same thing to Verstappen at the last race? The only real difference was the run off area vs the curbs, but they both knew that going into the corner.

It's racing, and they are allowed to race, and allowed to take the racing line. It's either allowed or it's not, and at that level I don't think either driver is going to back out when entitled to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Was it a shame that Hamilton did the same thing to Verstappen at the last race? The only real difference was the run off area vs the curbs, but they both knew that going into the corner.

It's racing, and they are allowed to race, and allowed to take the racing line. It's either allowed or it's not, and at that level I don't think either driver is going to back out when entitled to the line.
    Fair point, whatever the case, it is going to be hard racing between the two. How hard, is yet to be seen. I can see this one getting personal.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Although bottas in retrospective indeed left enough space, he swerved more to the right than any other car at that point. More than russel could reasonally expect from someone who has no intention to hinder him.

Bottas tried and succeeded into scaring russel. He had every right to do this, since he left the space, so it was indeed a racing incident.

But it still was incredibly stupid from bottas to do this to someone who's already alongside you on a wet track. Either russel passed anyway, or he takes you crashing with him.
    The camera on Bottas' nose is fixed. The footage starts at 27secs. When does he swerve to the right?

https://youtu.be/vjdwQDXxrfY?t=27