Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    The camera on Bottas' nose is fixed. The footage starts at 27secs. When does he swerve to the right?

https://youtu.be/vjdwQDXxrfY?t=27
    At exactly the moment that video starts.

Look at whatever video you want, they all show the same. Bottas is hugging the left side of the track, and just before russel is starting to overtake he moves about a car width to the right.

Either he didn't look into his mirrors, or he had the intention to scare russel.
    Or, he wanted to defend, but misjudged russels extra speed and was to late to swerve right.

Either way it was a stupid thing to do from bottas, especially in het wet, even when he had the right to.

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    But what i found more outrageous than the crash was the reaction of toto wolff. He basically said russel should not try to overtake a mercedes. I'm not quite sure about the rules conserning that, but that seems like something that goes directly against the spirit of the sport.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56809267

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    There was only 1 dry line, so did Bottas follow it or did he turn to wet line ?

I´m not expert on these matters.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

Look at whatever video you want, they all show the same. Bottas is hugging the left side of the track, and just before russel is starting to overtake he moves about a car width to the right.

Either he didn't look into his mirrors, or he had the intention to scare russel.
    Or, he wanted to defend, but misjudged russels extra speed and was to late to swerve right.

Either way it was a stupid thing to do from bottas, especially in het wet, even when he had the right to.
    Bottas doesn't "Schumacher jink" at all. He follows the dry line.

It was Russell who misjudged his speed.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

The next corner is a left hander, its completely natural to move to the right side of the track for that as the dry racing line shows. He may have very slightly unwound his steering to make it harder for Russell but he definately didn't 'jink' as we have seen Schumacher and Senna do.
    I think Russell saw glory ahead of him in overtaking Bottas which probably made him take the big risk (only one dry line and with DRS open) while Bottas saw the complete opposite coming and wasn't going to just give it to him on a plate.
    I can totally see both sides but ultimately I think its 60/40 towards blame for Russell.. but still a racing incident.

But what i found more outrageous than the crash was the reaction of toto wolff. He basically said russel should not try to overtake a mercedes. I'm not quite sure about the rules conserning that, but that seems like something that goes directly against the spirit of the sport.

I thought he said Russell shouldn't overtake a Mercedes so aggressively? Which is quite different.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

I don't think Toto was saying Russell should not overtake a Mercedes. He was just pointing out the fact that Mercedes is in a title fight and Russell ought to factor that into his thinking as he went about overtaking a Mercedes. And he is right by saying that. After all, the Williams is not in a title fight this season, hence some common sense is required when a Williams has to tango with a Mercedes. Especially since he aspires to drive for them someday.

It was a major f*ckup by Russell. That he crashed into a Mercedes would have been overlooked, but what he said after the race was a big dent to his prospects at Mercedes. But time is a great healer, so we would see. It was just a very stupid thing to say.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It was a major f*ckup by Russell. That he crashed into a Mercedes would have been overlooked, but what he said after the race was a big dent to his prospects at Mercedes. But time is a great healer, so we would see. It was just a very stupid thing to say.
    Actually Toto should be thanking him, because he actually saved Hamilton and Mercedes day. Big difference in point take between 2nd and 7th.

8. Likes: airshifter (22nd April 2021),truefan72 (26th April 2021)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Actually Toto should be thanking him, because he actually saved Hamilton and Mercedes day. Big difference in point take between 2nd and 7th.
    How did work that one out? He put Hamilton in 7th in the first place. Yellow flags say get out of the way but he parks on the racing line forcing Hamilton to pass on the wet side that caused him to slide off track. He was a pain to Mercedes at this race.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    George said he was sorry after seeing replays , and being that his first views of the incident were at some serious speed onboard , I think he deserves a little slack here .

He had a guy beside him moving right , and he was in the closing gap on wet tarmac next to the curbing .
    In that adrenaline soaked moment , it would be pretty easy for him to assume he was out of room , and that Bottas was solely to blame .

11. Likes: Mia 01 (23rd April 2021)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    How did work that one out? He put Hamilton in 7th in the first place. Yellow flags say get out of the way but he parks on the racing line forcing Hamilton to pass on the wet side that caused him to slide off track. He was a pain to Mercedes at this race.
    I didn't hear Lewis blame George .
    I just heard him say he slid through because he was maybe a little too impatient .

George said he was sorry , though .

13. Likes: truefan72 (26th April 2021)