Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I am not impressed with Perez. He is the guy on the dodge ball team who is most comfortable hanging back, biding his time, waiting for somebody to make a mistake, picking up the scraps.

He is in the car that got pole position, but he ended up 11th in qualifying. Albon qualified 4th in this GP last year.

In the race, I won't ding Perez for the issue on the warmup lap, but you can go into a lap by lap comparison and throw out the pitting, safety car laps and look for comparable lap times between him and Max and you find:

Perez averaged 0.8 seconds behind Max for the race that for total of 38.3 seconds behind max in raw pace in 52 laps.

Albon similarly on the same track averaged 0.52 seconds behind Max using 49 laps for 25.8 seconds. Albon finished 3rd in the race.

Perez has to be better. He has to be in position that if Max and Hamilton take each other out, he wins the race.

Albon only advanced due to the fact the Bottas got a puncture and Perez blew up. Otherwise he would have lost positions during the race. That was after a season and a half in the car. Sergio rolled the dice in qually on the harder tires, and paid the price. But the pre race issues cost him the other positions.

Though he is a more experienced driver, thinking his first drive in a new seat should always eclipse Albon's better drives is just rather reaching IMHO. As compared to the race of Bottas today, Perez was more or less superhuman. Comparing apples to oranges will always skew things.

As for the track limits thing, I think that was Horners way of making sure it was on record that Merc (and others) were breaching the rules. Strange that there was no enforcement until well after he told Max to ignore the rules also. I personally think that when it's been spelled out that clear that they should set the example early in the race and issue warnings on the initial offenses.

2. Likes: truefan72 (5th April 2021)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I am not impressed with Perez. He is the guy on the dodge ball team who is most comfortable hanging back, biding his time, waiting for somebody to make a mistake, picking up the scraps.

He is in the car that got pole position, but he ended up 11th in qualifying. Albon qualified 4th in this GP last year.

In the race, I won't ding Perez for the issue on the warmup lap, but you can go into a lap by lap comparison and throw out the pitting, safety car laps and look for comparable lap times between him and Max and you find:

Perez averaged 0.8 seconds behind Max for the race that for total of 38.3 seconds behind max in raw pace in 52 laps.

Albon similarly on the same track averaged 0.52 seconds behind Max using 49 laps for 25.8 seconds. Albon finished 3rd in the race.

Perez has to be better. He has to be in a position that if Max and Hamilton take each other out, he wins the race.
    Well if you factor into the equation that he has only had four full days in the car going into qualifying, with new engineers he has never worked with before, then you would understand why everyone thinks you are being harsh on Perez. He could have had a better race from 11th if he did not have electrical problems that momentarily switched off the engine on the way back from the warmup lap and had to start from the pitlane.

From last to 5th is the sort of stuff we see from Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen. He did good considering. He would definitely be better in Italy.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: N. Jones (29th March 2021),truefan72 (5th April 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    As for the track limits thing, I think that was Horners way of making sure it was on record that Merc (and others) were breaching the rules. Strange that there was no enforcement until well after he told Max to ignore the rules also. I personally think that when it's been spelled out that clear that they should set the example early in the race and issue warnings on the initial offenses.
    Well, Horner's complaints about track limits eventually cost Redbull the race. That Verstappen's overtake with 2 laps to go may have been overlooked by the stewards otherwise. And he may have gone on to win the race. As Hamilton with ragged tyres would not have been able to fight with him thereafter.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: truefan72 (5th April 2021)
    Liked 1,131 Times in 605 Posts
    As far as i understood they had a written notice from race control which said they had to respect track limits during qualifying. But when reading it closer, Mercedes concluded that it said nothing about the race itself.
    So they gave their drivers orders to go outside the track since there was no warning not to yet.

Redbull only realised this halfway the race and told max and perez to do the same until they were told by race control not to.

Which, by itself, woke up the stewards. Who then told everyone to respect the track limits.

Basically a genius move from mercedes and/or a screw up from the stewards.

8. Likes: N. Jones (29th March 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    As far as i understood they had a written notice from race control which said they had to respect track limits during qualifying. But when reading it closer, Mercedes concluded that it said nothing about the race itself.
    So they gave their drivers orders to go outside the track since there was no warning not to yet.

Redbull only realised this halfway the race and told max and perez to do the same until they were told by race control not to.

Which, by itself, woke up the stewards. Who then told everyone to respect the track limits.

Basically a genius move from mercedes and/or a screw up from the stewards.
    It was basically an open radio indirect complaint. They did not need to go off track to be fast, they just hated the fact that Mercedes was doing it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 29th March 2021 at 16:32.
    William Shakespeare

10. Likes: N. Jones (29th March 2021),truefan72 (5th April 2021)
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Haas throttle connected to the steering linkage?

Liked 1,131 Times in 605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It was basically an open radio indirect complaint. They did not need to go off track to be fast, they just hate the fact that Mercedes was doing it.
    Well no, going off was faster. Otherwise nobody would do it and there would have been no need for an extra stewards notice.

It's just that redbull either had not thorougly read the stewards communication or they had interpreted it different.

Redbull was suprised they were allowed to do it, since they thought it had been banned from the start.
    And later on mercedes was suprised they were no longer allowed to do it, since the given stewards communication did not metion the race, they had been doing it all race and were not reprimanded by the stewards.

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Maze-spin lived up to his nickname.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Well no, going off was faster. Otherwise nobody would do it and there would have been no need for an extra stewards notice.

It's just that redbull either had not thorougly read the stewards communication or they had interpreted it different.

Redbull was suprised they were allowed to do it, since they thought it had been banned from the start.
    And later on mercedes was suprised they were no longer allowed to do it, since the given stewards communication did not metion the race, they had been doing it all race and were not reprimanded by the stewards.
    Martin Brundle explained why it was not faster. The Mercedes still has instability,so they need that run-off area to maintain speed through that corner. The Redbull didn't!
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Martin Brundle explained why it was not faster. The Mercedes still has instability,so they need that run-off area to maintain speed through that corner. The Redbull didn't!
    It was faster for Mercedes!

But this is the nonsense we’ve always been speaking about. Inconsistency in the rules. I can’t understand why the f**k it is so difficult for these clowns to make even one unambiguous rule. And if they do make a mistake then at least have the good grace to live by it but stop making it up as they go along.

I actually think it’ll take a incident of a team taking a penalty to the WMSC or even further because these clowns applied an unfair penalty to stop this happening. Otherwise we’re stuck with this nonsense.