Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Bottas,37 minutes behind the leading pair. I really wonder why he is still in that Mercedes seat?
    indeed. They should have made the switch to Russell. Even as a rear gunner he isn't that great.
    I wonder what his excuse will be this time.
    It is clear to me that Bottas is a competent driver, but not the fastest and lacks that aggression, will-power to push his car to fight.
    If the roles were reversed, after the first stint, Hamilton would have done everything in his power to close up to Verstappen.
    Bottas, seems content to just kinda languish and bring in the podium.
    Then gives a presser talking about his disappointment and not winning.
    I know the stupid pitstop cost him in this race, but he was always on pace to finish p3 and showed no signs of even trying to challenge the top 2.
    you can't argue with results.

Me too.
    I think we will see more than 5 different race winners this year.
    also good to see that Ferrari have clawed their way back to being competitive again.
    There really is nothing between, Ferrari, Mclaren and AlphaTauri with Alpine & Aston Martin inches behind them
    Sauber and Williams will be close (TBH Russell and the Sauber pair ) and probably pick up points here and there.

one thing is for sure. Mazepin isn't an F1 driver and the Haas looks uncompetitive.
    you can't argue with results.

3. Likes: Mia 01 (29th March 2021)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Well he lost 8 seconds in the pitstop and had an extra 23 seconds stops but he was never in contention. Mercedes need to rid themselves of him honestly, when you can’t beat a guy that stepped into the car two days previous after 4 years in the team you don’t deserve your drive.
    True, The Mercedes pit messed up his pitstop. But even so, he did not show any real desire to get back into contention.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

5. Likes: truefan72 (5th April 2021)
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Winners and Losers

Winners:
    Hamilton - Anybody have any doubt he won't win the championship

Norris - solid race
    Ferrari - they are at least back to top of mid-field
    Tusnoda

Losers
    Red Bull - welp, Mercedes will only get better. Solid #2. Perez = Albon 2.0

Bottas - say Hello to Russell
    Vettel - stroll beat you
    Alonso - welcome to the back of the midfield
    Maze-spin - can't even make 1 lap
    Gasly - looked like he just gave up once his race was spoiled
    Last edited by F1nKS; 29th March 2021 at 01:42.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Winners and Losers

Winners:

Norris - solid race
    Tusnoda

Losers

Vettel - stroll be you
    Gasly performance today was baffling. I did hear that there might have been some damage to the car but tbh it still seems odd. His control unit like verstappen’s was also changed prior to the race. Gasly could have finished p3-5 today. Oh well

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Winners and Losers

Winners:

Norris - solid race
    Tusnoda

Losers

Vettel - stroll be you

I think that is rather hard on Perez. Given his issues at the start, he did quite well to bring the car back to where he finished. Albon was lucky to get there after a normal qually and race start.

As for Losers I'd like to add

Seb - beyond Lance, quit whining when you run into someone!

Race control - They let turn 4 rules be ignored for quite a long time. Car or not, there is surely an advantage to be gained if drivers are out there.

It looks like it may still be a two horse race up front unless Merc gets the solid upper hand, but the midfield is really going to be crazy. Great opener to the season.

I still say Bottas will be the weak link if the RB/Merc battle has the cars fairly even. With two Mercs to put pressure on RB, Bottas really did nothing to help. Sergio at least made the most of a bad starting position and kept fighting.

9. Likes: gm99 (29th March 2021)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Winners and Losers

Winners:

Norris - solid race
    Tusnoda

Losers

Vettel - stroll be you

Agreed on the whole, maybe a tad harsh on Perez though considering he fought his way back to 5th from the pitlane? I thought he did ok ish considering and I'd give him more time before writing him off.

What an opener, stonking great race, Lewis was quite brilliant holding off Max at the end aided by Max having to give the place back for track limits. Loved it.. exactly what F1 needed. Congrats to Merc and Lewis.

Re-track limits. I'll have to watch it again closer this time but weren't both Mercs also exceeding them there most of the race only for track limits to start being enforced again later on and costing Max? I don't like that they can influence the race that way. Either solidly enforce them consistently everywhere the whole race or not at all please.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Gasly performance today was baffling. I did hear that there might have been some damage to the car but tbh it still seems odd. His control unit like Verstappen was also changed prior to the race. Gasly could have finished p3-5 today. Oh well
    It was unlucky that he tagged Ricciado's Mclaren. It sort of damaged the car and spoilt his race. He would be better next time l am sure.

I was impressed with Perez. I think he showed what an impact he can have for Redbull if they prepare him properly for the race. If Perez had started in the top four, this race today may have been quite different. Even from the 11th, he may have had an impact on the race, particularly since Bottas was not quite on it.

I think the next race may be even harder for Mercedes if Redbull can prepare two cars to race-winning standard. It is also interesting that Norris beat Ricciado fair and square at this race. I was expecting it to be the other way round. A bad day for Alpine, they clearly have a strong race car.

It is a dog eat dog grid we have this season. No let off and no errors or sloppiness goes unpunished.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th March 2021 at 23:42.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

I am not impressed with Perez. He is the guy on the dodge ball team who is most comfortable hanging back, biding his time, waiting for somebody to make a mistake, picking up the scraps.

He is in the car that got pole position, but he ended up 11th in qualifying. Albon qualified 4th in this GP last year.

In the race, I won't ding Perez for the issue on the warmup lap, but you can go into a lap by lap comparison and throw out the pitting, safety car laps and look for comparable lap times between him and Max and you find:

Perez averaged 0.8 seconds behind Max for the race that for total of 38.3 seconds behind max in raw pace in 52 laps.

Albon similarly on the same track averaged 0.52 seconds behind Max using 49 laps for 25.8 seconds. Albon finished 3rd in the race.

Perez has to be better. He has to be in position that if Max and Hamilton take each other out, he wins the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Agreed on the whole, maybe a tad harsh on Perez though considering he fought his way back to 5th from the pitlane? I thought he did ok ish considering and I'd give him more time before writing him off.
    It is probably to harsh, but Perez has to get out the mind set that just getting good points is good enough. If he not fighting for podium, then he is not doing his job.

What an opener, stonking great race, Lewis was quite brilliant holding off Max at the end aided by Max having to give the place back for track limits. Loved it.. exactly what F1 needed. Congrats to Merc and Lewis.
    Yes he was brilliant.

Re-track limits. I'll have to watch it again closer this time but weren't both Mercs also exceeding them there most of the race only for track limits to start being enforced again later on and costing Max? I don't like that they can influence the race that way. Either solidly enforce them consistently everywhere the whole race or not at all please.
    Yes him and Bottas were abusing track limits, but Horner came on the radio and told Max to do it also until they were told otherwise. But you are right the FIA should either enforce track limits from the start. It not really appropriate to do it mid-way thru the race. In the end, I don't think it made a difference to the finish.