Quote Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
    shorter stages
    There is no such trend.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
    slower cars
    Nor this.

2. Likes: cali (25th June 2021)
    Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    As you can see, current rallysport is more about speed than endurance. It is more and more closer to rallysprint...

4. Likes: AndyRAC (25th June 2021),pantealex (25th June 2021)
    Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Gosh, it's nearly 3 months away. The roads will change 100 times until then, especially since tourism will be in full swing pretty soon, and the usual early September rains will surface every rock that has now been smoothened. The SSS in Syntagma should be huge spectacle if political bullshit doesn't interfere. Would have liked to see it start slightly later, so cars can run with the sun setting in the backdrop.

Liked 64 Times in 26 Posts
    I did not expect an Acropolis with very smooth stages.

But even if stages are smoother, or much smoother, than the past, I will not be disappointed.

As said from others, also for me, Acropolis is much more than rough stages, punctures and broken suspensions.

It is the variety of landscapes and especially the beauty of high altitude - mountainous landscapes, in combination with slippery conditions and sideways passes from world's top drivers.
    It is the sun, the heat and the dust.
    It is the fan of having the excursion, driving your car at the mountains along with good friends.
    It is the really nice food.

7. Likes: pantealex (27th June 2021),WRC1 (25th June 2021)
    Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    Looking what is happening during FIRST day of Rally Safari where almost everyone has retired or has huge problems, I feel better that Rally Acropolis will be a bit smoother.

9. Likes: WRC1 (25th June 2021)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    I know, I was in Fthiotidos rally. I watched Pavliani 1 & 2. So we must have met in Pavliani square for coffee or souvlaki! I still saw big rocks surfacing after the first cars. 14 cars retired!

What I am trying to say is that sometimes we must get rid of nostalgia and memories and go on.

Come one, we lost Acropolis Rally for 8 years and now we have it again! We have new people working on this, we have full government’s backing, new big sponsors. We are going to enjoy these wonderful cars for the last time not only in SS but under Acropolis monument as well. We had none of these the previous years.People are working for the rally and promote it like never before. Let’s be happy and enjoy it!
    I agree with the last paragraph.
    I disagree about the nostalgia. It is not nostalgia. It is an opinion that Acropolis MUST NOT become Portugal, Argentina or Spain (Sardinia is already much rougher, anyway). It must not become "just another sprint rally". Besides losing its character, this poses a certain danger that it will permanently lose its place in WRC, replaced by Turkey or Cyprus, because WRC needs to have one endurance event in Europe, for diversity reasons.

P.S. None of the retirements last Sunday was because of rough roads. The majority retired because of inadequate preparation and some because of driver's or co-driver's mistakes because the organizer forbitted recce for many days.

11. Likes: AndyRAC (25th June 2021),PLuto (25th June 2021),seb_sh (25th June 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    Looking what is happening during FIRST day of Rally Safari where almost everyone has retired or has huge problems, I feel better that Rally Acropolis will be a bit smoother.
    Until now, Evans, Sordo and Ogier had trouble or retired solely because they hit an object out of the road. None of these trouble was because of road roughness.

13. Likes: seb_sh (25th June 2021)
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    If you think Acropolis will be light and smooth you are fooled...
    it will have its character even with the shorter route...

15. Likes: pantealex (27th June 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by atsiotras79 View Post
    If you think Acropolis will be light and smooth you are fooled...
    it will have its character even with the shorter route...
    I drove on Sunday on these two Acropolis stages. Both of these roads have been fully re-constructed in many places and they are not the same as they were. The only things that are the same are the scenery and the name.
    To give an accurate picture, the main characteristic of Pavlini before re-construction was that its uphill section, up to the 8th km, was full of stones planted in the road that made it very hard to drive and the downhill section was full of big dips and water-trenches that could break the car or send it to the trees. The stage was really tough and the driver had to protect the car in both these sections in many places. These do not exist any more. On Sunday, the planted stone sections were no more than 50 m and there was not even one water-trench. The driving, even with only one pass in recce, was without the slightest need for protection. It was a very smooth and light rally, much smoother than Sparti sprint or old Amaliada sprint.
    As I have been informed, the same re-construction is happening to Tarzan and the other stages. If this information is correct, then it is not Acropolis. At least, 2021 Pavliani and Pirgos are not.

P.S. It happens that I have participated in three Acropolis in the past and watched thirty and so maybe I can tell the difference.
    Last edited by scn; 27th June 2021 at 04:10.

17. Likes: bisak (26th June 2021)
    Liked 244 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    I drove on Sunday on these two Acropolis stages. Both of these roads have been fully re-constructed in many places and they are not the same as they were. The only things that are the same are the scenery and the name.
    To give an accurate picture, the main characteristic of Pavlini before re-construction was that its uphill section, up to the 8th km, was full of stones planted in the road that made it very hard to drive and the downhill section was full of big dips and water-trenches that could brake the car or send it to the trees. The stage was really tough and the driver had to protect the car in both these sections in many places. These do not exist any more. On Sunday, the planted stone sections were no more than 50 m and there was not even one water-trench. The driving, even with only one pass in recce, was without the slightest need for protection. It was a very smooth and light rally, much smoother than Sparti sprint or old Amaliada sprint.
    As I have been informed, the same re-construction is happening to Tarzan and the other stages. If this information is correct, then it is not Acropolis. At least, 2021 Pavliani and Pirgos are not.

P.S. It happens that I have participated in three Acropolis in the past and watched thirty and so maybe I can tell the difference.
    mimimimimi.....STOP moaning! I would be more than happy if WRC comes to my Country NO matter on wich roads! Be happy that Grecce is part of the WRC again, or stay away from the rallye, sit at home and watch Vides from your good old days...
    Juha Kankkunen: "The speed was o.K., but the corner was to tight"
    Marcus Grönholm: "... tell corrado .... three gears are enough..! "

19. Likes: pantealex (27th June 2021)