Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 185
  1. #151
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    7,440
    Like
    6,578
    Liked 7,852 Times in 3,468 Posts

    WRC Rally Acropolis Greece 2021

    To me that looks like proper Acropolis, similar surface as in Turkey recently
    Last edited by AnttiL; 20th July 2021 at 09:51.

  2. Likes: seb_sh (20th July 2021)
  3. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    23,777
    Like
    8,723
    Liked 14,493 Times in 6,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    It's looking good Is the beginning of the stage still on this "red" gravel?

    Attachment 2138
    this ''red gravel'' is bauxite.
    At Greek ''Βωξιτες''

  4. Likes: AnttiL (20th July 2021)
  5. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Halkidiki Greece
    Posts
    543
    Like
    3
    Liked 101 Times in 47 Posts
    The video on YouTube above shows the part of stage from around km 4 until it meets the tarmac part and heads into the Karoutes part of the stage. Before that from start just outside Itea until km 4 will be one of the most spectacular parts of the rally and if you walk-climb a bit, you can have very good panoramic view for long distance... The part on the video is a very fast and narrow road with a lot of stones but I have a feeling after the machinery pass from there it will become flat out...

  6. Likes: Rallyper (21st July 2021)
  7. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    144
    Like
    87
    Liked 180 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOT View Post
    I prefer to see flat out action that see drivers swerving to avoid stones and having stupid retirements...

    times change old man, the option of the home couch is always there, crying is pathetic....

    we did not have a proper rally in 9 years. Its like being stranded in the desert and someone offers you water and you whine like a little girl because its tap water instead of bottled Perrier.

    get with the times or stay away... old people are a waste of space... first you (old people in general) cried because the rallies were not 146 days long... then you cried because the cars did not sound like washing machines with nails in them... then you cried because we did not have 3 finishers in 287 entires... then you cried because stages did not cover the whole country... if you do not like it do not support it,

    nobody is forcing you to see something you do not like... there is always tennis for you if the tears do not let you enjoy the sport.
    Thank you for presenting your argument.
    Let me complete mine. As you know, this Acropolis is done by a totally different organizing body than all previous ones, appointed by the government. This new organizer on specific stages (Pavliani, Pirgos, Tarzan) has decided to follow your "flat road" philosophy by putting a road-roller and making them completely flat. This is done for the first time. At least I have never seen it since 1986 that I am watching, nor in the three Acropolis I have participated. On other stages until now they have not done it (Ag. Theodori, Loutraki, Eleftherohori). As I just came back from recce on the first two of them, I can tell that these are fixed the old way without being "rolled", so they will be as they were.
    Personally, I disagree with this new organizer and I prefer Acropolis to remain as it was, so I do not want road-rollers. Not only because this is its traditional character, but because if we change it to "just another flat rally", I am afraid we will lose it permanently. You are not the only Greek that has this "flat road" philosophy, my co-driver has the same as you and we have had this argument lots of times. Time will tell which of these two opinions is more effective for the survival of the rally.

    P.S.1 The truly extraordinary spectacle is on fast bad sections (5th and 6th gear). The fast sections on "hell roads" like the downhill of Agia Sotira, last part of Vari, EIeftherohori after the 2nd lake and several others offer spectacle "out of this world" that you cannot see anywhere else. You can see the same level of "extra-terrestrial" things as you can see in Finland or Poland, and I dare say even higher.

    P.S.2 I do not know about old people, I am not yet. But I do know that young ones are absent from Greek rallying, except of two or three with rich dads that used to be rally drivers. Young Greeks prefer dragster, drifting and "facebooking". So, if old people are considered a "waste of space", as you say, and they leave to "open up space", I am afraid that Greek rallying will collapse to non-existence in one single day. Just because young Greeks prefer much safer activities these days than they used to. So, I suggest you leave old ones in their space.
    Last edited by scn; 21st July 2021 at 17:18.

  8. Likes: cruzepilot (1st August 2021)
  9. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    144
    Like
    87
    Liked 180 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atsiotras79 View Post
    The video on YouTube above shows the part of stage from around km 4 until it meets the tarmac part and heads into the Karoutes part of the stage. Before that from start just outside Itea until km 4 will be one of the most spectacular parts of the rally and if you walk-climb a bit, you can have very good panoramic view for long distance... The part on the video is a very fast and narrow road with a lot of stones but I have a feeling after the machinery pass from there it will become flat out...
    Bauxites is a very bad road since the floods of 2018. Actually, its last part is a river now, not a road. It used to be the most flat stage in Acropolis, now it is the worst. If they leave it as it is, which is something I do not believe.

  10. #156
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    14
    Like
    19
    Liked 47 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    Thank you for presenting your argument.
    Let me complete mine. As you know, this Acropolis is done by a totally different organizing body than all previous ones, appointed by the government. This new organizer on specific stages (Pavliani, Pirgos, Tarzan) has decided to follow your "flat road" philosophy by putting a road-roller and making them completely flat. This is done for the first time. At least I have never seen it since 1986 that I am watching, nor in the three Acropolis I have participated. On other stages until now they have not done it (Ag. Theodori, Loutraki, Eleftherohori). As I just came back from recce on the first two of them, I can tell that these are fixed the old way without being "rolled", so they will be as they were.
    Personally, I disagree with this new organizer and I prefer Acropolis to remain as it was, so I do not want road-rollers. Not only because this is its traditional character, but because if we change it to "just another flat rally", I am afraid we will lose it permanently. You are not the only Greek that has this "flat road" philosophy, my co-driver has the same as you and we have had this argument lots of times. Time will tell which of these two opinions is more effective for the survival of the rally.

    P.S.1 The truly extraordinary spectacle is on fast bad sections (5th and 6th gear). The fast sections on "hell roads" like the downhill of Agia Sotira, last part of Vari, EIeftherohori after the 2nd lake and several others offer spectacle "out of this world" that you cannot see anywhere else. You can see the same level of "extra-terrestrial" things as you can see in Finland or Poland, and I dare say even higher.

    P.S.2 I do not know about old people, I am not yet. But I do know that young ones are absent from Greek rallying, except of two or three with rich dads that used to be rally drivers. Young Greeks prefer dragster, drifting and "facebooking". So, if old people are considered a "waste of space", as you say, and they leave to "open up space", I am afraid that Greek rallying will collapse to non-existence in one single day. Just because young Greeks prefer much safer activities these days than they used to. So, I suggest you leave old ones in their space.
    We have different points of view... the old organisers organised the rally around their personal pockets though.

    we will see how these will do.

    As for the young greek drivers... what do you expect ? its a balkan country with no rally philosophy and subhuman culture... even greek rally drivers are not rally drivers... they are some overweight slobs that are a disgrace to the human anatomy and not athletes as they should be... same goes for the speactators... just take a look how many are gathered at hairpins just to see handbrake turns like some bottom feeding supine invertebrate jellies.

    but thats another story.

  11. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    1,741
    Like
    135
    Liked 951 Times in 427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOT View Post
    As for the young greek drivers... what do you expect ? its a balkan country with no rally philosophy and subhuman culture... even greek rally drivers are not rally drivers... they are some overweight slobs that are a disgrace to the human anatomy and not athletes as they should be... same goes for the speactators... just take a look how many are gathered at hairpins just to see handbrake turns like some bottom feeding supine invertebrate jellies.

    but thats another story.
    I read it, smirked and then thought what would remain, if all the NOTism would be omitted.

    Maybe something like this?

    "As for the young Greek drivers... It's a balkan country with no rally philosophy, Greek rally drivers are not fit athletes. And spectators, they just gather at hairpins to look at handbrake turns."
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

  12. #158
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    14
    Like
    19
    Liked 47 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    I read it, smirked and then thought what would remain, if all the NOTism would be omitted.

    Maybe something like this?

    "As for the young Greek drivers... It's a balkan country with no rally philosophy, Greek rally drivers are not fit athletes. And spectators, they just gather at hairpins to look at handbrake turns."
    but then i would be just like everybody else in here, a flavourless robot... not your cherished god emperor.

    I am not like everybody else.

    Do not worry i will not polute any other threads and once acropolis is over i am out once more.

  13. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Halkidiki Greece
    Posts
    543
    Like
    3
    Liked 101 Times in 47 Posts
    The Bauxites part that is shown in the video is only 3-4 kms of probably the best stage this year, and after the machinery this part will be again flat out...

    The part I am a bit considered (I checked it 15 days ago) is the part you mention in Eleftherohori from the second lake until 2-3 kms before the end in Mendenitsa... there is no gravel left there in some parts... only rocks... I had a tough time passing even with 4x4, I had to be very careful...

  14. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    1,741
    Like
    135
    Liked 951 Times in 427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOT View Post
    but then i would be just like everybody else in here, a flavourless robot... not your cherished god emperor.

    I am not like everybody else.

    Do not worry i will not polute any other threads and once acropolis is over i am out once more.
    True.

    Your posts aren't bothering me. Just thought what would the posts look like without the super flavour NOT.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

  15. Likes: pantealex (22nd July 2021)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •