Page 18 of 80 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    By the way, there is some information that Tarzan will not be done because there is no view of the cars from the helicopter for a long part of the stage, due to the trees. The resurfacing has stopped and there are talks of changing the Sunday route.
    The TV crew does have some power over the route. For example in Catalunya 2019 the power stage was reversed after RG2 was published, and this was the reason.

Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    If Greece continues to be orange and red in ECDC map, it is unlikely that spectators will be allowed. BUT, the Greek protocol for motorsport says that no spectators are allowed in the stage 3 hours before the first car. And this is what the police does in hillclimbs, where there are normally many spectators. They close all accesses to hillclimbs 3 hours before the start. So I just go 3,5 hours before the first car and there is no problem. As a matter of fact, it is much better because there are very few spectators and you can sit wherever you want.
    In Acropolis, the best thing to do is to bring a tent and put it on Thursday night for the two Agioi Theodoroi, on Friday night for the two Pavliani or two Eleftherohori and on Saturday night for the two Tarzan (if it will not be changed). If you stay in a hotel and try to come to the stages in the morning, I am afraid you will end up on some beach.
    It is madness to go to the stages 3,5 hours before the first car pass. It is so boring to just sit in the forest for so long looking at the sky… And to be honest, this is not a way to attract new fans and a very bad thing for this sport.

I have been to three countries to watch rallies abroad. Always I was getting up very early in the morning and always I was there on time and always I found a spot and watch the stage. If I cannot do the same in Acropolis (as I did all previous years) and if I have to camp overnight, I prefer to stay home and stop watching this ridiculous thing.

Liked 12,169 Times in 5,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    It is madness to go to the stages 3,5 hours before the first car pass. It is so boring to just sit in the forest for so long looking at the sky… And to be honest, this is not a way to attract new fans and a very bad thing for this sport. .
    what? we do that on Rally Finland every year, ok maybe not 3.5 hours but 2-2.5 hours definitely.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: pantealex (30th July 2021),scn (30th July 2021)
    I know. I also do that. But not 3,5.

Liked 2,090 Times in 903 Posts
    I thought true hardcore fans (who don't watch in certain group areas) could be in the forrest days before and after rally cars..

7. Likes: scn (30th July 2021),skarderud (2nd August 2021)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    what? we do that on Rally Finland every year, ok maybe not 3.5 hours but 2-2.5 hours definitely.
    Sweden, Finland and Spain I have had the pleasure of arriving 0,5-1 h before the start. So far haven't had any major issues with it. Ofc route planning is the key and usually I don't try to spectate all of the stages. I think I have experience major traffic issues about 5 times - once in Spain 2018 on sunday morning on the mountains, once in Colin's Crest (not going there ever again, quite boring place to me), once in Sweden 2005 when the ticket sales people didn't really understand where they are and we had to walk about 4,5 km (we arrived to the spot just in time) and couple of times in Finland, I think once it was Ouninpohja stage in the Kakaristo (surprise, surprise...) intersection probably in 2002.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Liked 331 Times in 107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    I thought true hardcore fans (who don't watch in certain group areas) could be in the forrest days before and after rally cars..
    No... only inbread english/welsh fans do that...

normal people without any mental issues just arrive very early to the stage they want to spectate.

10. Likes: pantealex (30th July 2021),tommeke_B (30th July 2021)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    It is madness to go to the stages 3,5 hours before the first car pass.
    I know. But this is the Covid protocol issued by the Ministry of Sports. In the two last hillclimbs I went (Ritsona and Kimi) the police closed all access roads at 7:00 am and the first car was at 10:00. It is the first time I watch these two hillclimbs with only my friends around. Usually there are thousands of spectators in them. It was strange to be alone but, to be honest, we liked it.
    Last edited by scn; 30th July 2021 at 14:32.

Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
    I know. But this is the Covid protocol issued by the Ministry of Sports. In the two last hillclimbs I went (Ritsona and Kimi) the police closed all access roads at 7:00 am and the first car was at 10:00. It is the first time I watch these two hillclimbs with only my friends around. Usually there are thousands of spectators in them. It was strange to be alone but, to be honest, we liked it.
    I saw rally fthiotidos in ss pavliani ! Police was there 30 min before the first car an no one say something to us !!

Driving SS Tarzan (as of yesterday)
    https://youtu.be/EJmegeHmkaA

14. Likes: Fredouye (2nd August 2021)