Page 54 of 72 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    You are right 30kj is for triggering, but it could be more if it's a hard braking zone...

For instance, for this stage 2, if the car start with 80% and finish with 30% so around 7000kj is available (11232 kj to 4212 kj)
    So 70 boosts (100kj) are available.

To be able to do a boost you need a brake, if each time the driver brakes at 30kj (it's only a theory, not real...), extra generated energy : 2100kj so 21 extra boosts.

So for SS2, 91 boosts could be available. More with long braking, less without braking...
    Thanks. I know it could be more, but point for me was if the driver would need to brake harder than 30 kJ. Seems that he doesn't need to bother about it. If even with minimum regen from braking, number of boosts should be around 70-90, there is small risk that "hard-braking" driver will get some advantage...

When it comes to regen on road section. Maybe the ratio is higher because of map of regen?

Rules say:
    Mapping for the road section is free.
    • Mapping in full EV mode and road section mode charging are
    not included in the frozen maps limitation.
    • Road section mode cannot be used on a stage. If the car goes
    out of stage mode during a stage, the hybrid system must be
    disabled.

For sure regen on road sections will allow recharging battery to the SOC of 80%
    Last edited by Tom K; 18th January 2022 at 14:46.

2. Likes: becher (18th January 2022)
    Liked 613 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Not leave engine running but make quick accelerate / brakings ( I hope they won't do this anyway in public traffic). But as we know two stages will no more be close to each other in terms of time, and likely not in terms of distance either.
    I was assuming it'll charge off the engine in road mode! I can't prove that.

I had something like a Brenig/Alwen in mind, it's not so common you're right. However, trying to recover 7000kj would take pure regen braking at 100% efficiency the equivalent of ~20 stops from 80kph - they ain't got the tech. Another way of putting it is braking to feed 30kW for nearly 4 minutes. Speeding would help but means fines, braking hard probably won't help, just puts more into the pads/discs.

20km between SS1 and SS2 on Thursday will be a useful test. They may have to stop every 500m along the way to recharge. Then it's 12km of mostly straight uphill D-road leading up to the Power Stage. Can they plug in at that regroup? It takes 20 minutes to charge 20-80% plugged into the mains even but they have the time.

These are worst case scenarios too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Is this season of WRC going to be all about mathematics?
    Sorry Per, I'll probably shut up about it by Thursday night.

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Question on the DF podcast..

On a typical 20km tarmac stage how much time will a driver lose if his hybrid system has failed ?

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Under the skin of a Puma...

Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 18th January 2022 at 21:07.

7. Likes: AMSS (19th January 2022),dimviii (18th January 2022),greencroft (19th January 2022),Ha3aP (19th January 2022),Mirek (19th January 2022),pantealex (19th January 2022),Rally Hokkaido (19th January 2022),the sniper (19th January 2022),TWRC (19th January 2022),WRCStan (19th January 2022)
    Liked 56 Times in 30 Posts
    It is not allowed to trigger the hybrid system, but could it be interesting to have a system to manage conditions that trigerring the hybrid system ?

For instance, a button to be sure to have a valid regen when you brake to have a 30kj regen. If the driver know that is really interesting to have a boost just after this corner, could be interesting to be sure to have enough braking even if it's a little bit to much for the corner.

Another example, a button to be sure to not trigger the boost when accelerating because the driver knows it's interesting to use it just after.

Or just indicators to know if the valid regen is done, if the boost is available or the level of energy available.

Do you know if this kind of system could be interesting and if it's allowed ?
    http://wrc.is.free.fr

9. Likes: Tom K (19th January 2022)
    Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
    I think part of this was lesson for tests. They need to know/learn how strong should be braking at the given speed, to have valid regen.

and this

"If the driver know that is really interesting to have a boost just after this corner, could be interesting to be sure to have enough braking even if it's a little bit to much for the corner" - I think it is small portion of strategy which every driver was talking about. This is probably additional thing to analyze during/after recce and during talks with engineers
    Last edited by Tom K; 19th January 2022 at 09:34.

Liked 56 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    I think part of this was lesson for tests. They need to know/learn how strong should be braking at the given speed, to have valid regen.

and this

"If the driver know that is really interesting to have a boost just after this corner, could be interesting to be sure to have enough braking even if it's a little bit to much for the corner" - I think it is small portion of strategy which every driver was talking about. This is probably additional thing to analyze during/after recce and during talks with engineers
    Can they develop a system to help the driver to do that ? By displaying data or by providing a button to activate a system or by an auto-enabled system depending of conditions (GPS, distance from the start, ...) ?
    http://wrc.is.free.fr

Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post

and this

I think it's phisically impossible to regen enough energy that it would benefitial to brake more than it's necessary.

13. Likes: Mirek (19th January 2022),WRCStan (19th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Can they develop a system to help the driver to do that ? By displaying data or by providing a button to activate a system or by an auto-enabled system depending of conditions (GPS, distance from the start, ...) ?
    The only button they have is activate/disable, with 60s required between disable and activate. They could program logic into the ECU as part of the three map options, but this is a hard-coded homologated part so they won't be inputting individual stage parameters like gps zones.

If they need an acceleration boost after the next bend chances are they will be braking for the bend. If they need to force a regen to gain an acceleration boost then 30kj is 1 second of braking with this equipment, breaking harder is a myth. I can't see it being worth doing.