Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Didier Clement explains how he perceives this new era (for Rally2 cars) via WRCWings:

“We, Citroën, we were in favour of hybridisation, because in fact, we participated at the beginning of the WRC regulation. In Rally2 we are also in favour of hybridisation… but it has little to do with hybridisation in the WRC. For the WRC, it’s high voltage with very heavy batteries, and it’s very expensive (only the battery and the electrical harness have the same cost as half a Rally2 car!). We mustn’t lose sight of the fact that a Rally2 is a customer car. We’ve already put forward some ideas to other manufacturers and to the FIA to have a light hybridisation that is cheap, with standard parts, a 48V low voltage solution with a small battery and with very little additional weight. Of course, you won’t be able to drive many kilometers on a hybrid, you will not have a big overboost, but it’s already a first step to use this hybrid energy in competition with a very low cost and no extra cost to operate.”

“Our idea is to have this regulation in 2023 or 2024, nothing is decided yet, we have to wait, but the technology that we will use in competition is known technology of series car to stay in a series price with just an additional competition package. We are pushing for the 48V low voltage solution that is used every day, it is not dangerous. When there are accidents, it is not more dangerous than with a normal car, that is why we think it is a good step and we will see if it is adopted in the future”.

2. Likes: TWRC (1st November 2021)
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Since the new Rally1s don’t have to be based on actual cars any more does that even matter?

In theory can anyone enter now or does there still have to be a car manufacturer involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by ictus View Post
    You have to use the front windshield, the bonnet and the roof of the actual car
    I guess that you still need a homologation done by the manufacturer.

On the other hand I think that WRC will need to allow (and should) privately built cars in the future in a similar way to Dakar. IMHO in the long-term horizont it won't be able to survive without them.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AndyRAC (1st November 2021),cali (1st November 2021),lancia037 (1st November 2021),pantealex (2nd November 2021),Rally Hokkaido (4th November 2021),skarderud (3rd November 2021),tommeke_B (1st November 2021),TWRC (1st November 2021),WRCStan (1st November 2021)
    Liked 300 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I guess that you still need a homologation done by the manufacturer.

On the other hand I think that WRC will need to allow (and should) privately built cars in the future in a similar way to Dakar. IMHO in the long-term horizont it won't be able to survive without them.
    You are absolutely correct with that.

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyund...-rally1-crews/

''...each car shares the same spaceframe chassis.''

It has never been specified as far as I know but I thought only the safetycell was a spec part integrated into the spaceframe chassis of each manufacturer. Was this just incompentence on the writers part or is the safetycell more than the published FIA statements indicated so far?

Also has a minimum weight for the Rally1 cars been published yet?

7. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (3rd November 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    To me it seems like the writer made an error, it should be only the safety cell and hybrid unit which are common to all cars.

9. Likes: becher (2nd November 2021),pantealex (3rd November 2021),TWRC (3rd November 2021)
    Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts
    Some time ago info was released that cars would go on electric power in towns between stages etc, and also that extra electric power will/could be used on exits from slow corners on the stages - but since then no more information on the extra power on SS. Or did I missed it?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drive View Post
    Some time ago info was released that cars would go on electric power in towns between stages etc, and also that extra electric power will/could be used on exits from slow corners on the stages - but since then no more information on the extra power on SS. Or did I missed it?
    There's been bits and pieces here and there. This is one of the latest articles.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/an-en...ide-to-rally1/

12. Likes: cali (3rd November 2021),drive (3rd November 2021)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Also here - https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc...inable-future/

"The unique Rally1 hybrid system has three principal modes:"

14. Likes: drive (3rd November 2021)
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    They are not completely stupid. They would not carry the hybrid system and invest huge money in it just to use it only on the road sections. That would be just a ridiculous nonsense
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

16. Likes: cali (3rd November 2021),pantealex (4th November 2021)
    Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts
    just wonder what Ott was saying about hybrid technology... any help from Estonia?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CsT0bMGW24