Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,830 Times in 708 Posts
    more power and more sideways hopefully

2. Likes: cali (18th October 2021)
    Liked 137 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Thank you very much, I thought it would be interesting to have their opinion... at least as much as secrecy allows...
    WRCWings - Aerodynamics of WRC

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    With such complicated new cars i fear we may see complete dominance from one team.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    With such complicated new cars i fear we may see complete dominance from one team.
    At the start of the current car era engineers (thing it was people from MSport) predicted how they will develop rather well.
    a) people will copy each others cars - this was mostly in aero terms
    b) finetuning the setup for every stage/road

This b) was what made MSport irrelevant lately cause they didn't have money for all that testing.

With new car it shouldn't be possible to finetune as much (no center diff, simpler front/rear ones).
    So while there might be bigger gaps between the cars at first, it is less likely tons of money will matter as much later on.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    At the start of the current car era engineers (thing it was people from MSport) predicted how they will develop rather well.
    a) people will copy each others cars - this was mostly in aero terms
    b) finetuning the setup for every stage/road

This b) was what made MSport irrelevant lately cause they didn't have money for all that testing.

With new car it shouldn't be possible to finetune as much (no center diff, simpler front/rear ones).
    So while there might be bigger gaps between the cars at first, it is less likely tons of money will matter as much later on.
    I fear we could see a case like f1 in 2014 and 15, when mercedes won 16 out of 19 races. Or even like 2016 when they won 19 out of 21. Even hundered of millions couldn't fix that.

We loose some old technology that the teams have mastered, but we get the whole unknown hybrid system. Unlike aero, this can't copied easily.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I've said this before, it's all unknown. Everyone makes new cars. In 2017 we didn't know what to expect. Everyone thought Citroen is the best and Toyota the worst, but it turned out exactly opposite, and with very small margins, with four first rallies won by different cars. I can only hope the same happens now. It seems M-Sport has advanced the most while Hyundai is struggling, with rumors of a big rebuild after the first public tests, and the worried comments of Tänak and Neuville seem to confirm that rumor.

8. Likes: cali (18th October 2021),Jewy46 (19th October 2021),pantealex (19th October 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    I fear we could see a case like f1 in 2014 and 15, when mercedes won 16 out of 19 races. Or even like 2016 when they won 19 out of 21. Even hundered of millions couldn't fix that.

We loose some old technology that the teams have mastered, but we get the whole unknown hybrid system. Unlike aero, this can't copied easily.
    But the hybrid system is the same for everyone...and engines are the same as in the current WRC cars.

10. Likes: pantealex (19th October 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Yes, the cars are much more bound by the rules than those of today and they will be even more similar to each other.

I would personally welcome much more technical freedom. IMHO it's not going against efforts to cut cost (which is questionable anyway). For me it takes much more time and money to make one same thing better than the other than to come with some new ideas others didn't try. Moreover it makes thingsmuch more intweresting and exciting for me (I understand that not for everyone).
    Last edited by Mirek; 18th October 2021 at 21:14.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

12. Likes: lancia037 (19th October 2021),pantealex (19th October 2021),Rally Hokkaido (19th October 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    But the hybrid system is the same for everyone...and engines are the same as in the current WRC cars.
    but the main issue will be to get the 2 working together well i believe. making it predictable and working well may take many tests and thus lots of money.

that's what neuville is complaining about, it being unpredictable.

Liked 25 Times in 10 Posts
    With all this talk about how the Rally1-cars are like the Rally2-cars but with more power, a bit more aero and the hybrid-element...

Wouldn't it make more sense in the long term for the teams to have the developing drivers do more time driving Rally2? No center-diff or active diffs, less aero, 5-speed with stick... Especially Oliver Solberg, but also Katsuta.

The young drivers might also, in the long term, be a better choice due to how easy or hard it might be to cope with how to use the hybrid-system. Sordo, due to his age, might not clic that fast despite his experience. But I might be wrong.