Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 220
  1. #101
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    7,255
    Like
    6,351
    Liked 7,693 Times in 3,384 Posts
    I read a rumor that the boost could only be used at stage starts and very slow corner exits. Possibbly they are scared it will be too much power to use elsewherr. Sad to see the competitive aspect of where to use the boost not utilized.

    I don’t see them changing the restrictor. It would mean a lot of development work to get the engines working with a smaller restrictor. So far they’ve kept saying engines will remain the same.

  2. Likes: AndyRAC (29th April 2021)
  3. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,213
    Like
    4,649
    Liked 666 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I read a rumor that the boost could only be used at stage starts and very slow corner exits. Possibbly they are scared it will be too much power to use elsewherr. Sad to see the competitive aspect of where to use the boost not utilized.

    I don’t see them changing the restrictor. It would mean a lot of development work to get the engines working with a smaller restrictor. So far they’ve kept saying engines will remain the same.
    However all that power and torque is of no use if they can't get the power down to the ground. If they use the electric power for slow corners and stage starts I'd love to see how the tyres hold up with the instant torque from the electric motors.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  4. Likes: cali (28th April 2021)
  5. #103
    Senior Member SubaruNorway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Biri, Norway
    Posts
    4,475
    Like
    81
    Liked 1,502 Times in 597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    They were presented as mild-hybrids, not plugin. IMHO plugin hybrid with such small battery makes little sense.
    How can it have enough battery to run electric only through cities when it's only a mild hybrid?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

  6. #104
    Senior Member Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    15,204
    Like
    2,929
    Liked 7,137 Times in 3,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    They were presented as mild-hybrids, not plugin. IMHO plugin hybrid with such small battery makes little sense.
    In a statement (re Rally 2 Cars) the FIA said its objective is "to demonstrate how existing road-car technology can be transferred into the motorsport arena, rather than the 'plug-in' hybrid performance-orientated system that is being developed for Rally1".

  7. #105
    Senior Member Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    15,204
    Like
    2,929
    Liked 7,137 Times in 3,773 Posts
    At least the new Fiesta doesnt sound like this...

    https://youtu.be/UUvKESK_8cA

  8. Likes: NickRally (3rd May 2021)
  9. #106
    Senior Member Mirek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Prague / Eastern Bohemia
    Posts
    21,716
    Like
    7,025
    Liked 9,915 Times in 3,981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    How can it have enough battery to run electric only through cities when it's only a mild hybrid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    In a statement (re Rally 2 Cars) the FIA said its objective is "to demonstrate how existing road-car technology can be transferred into the motorsport arena, rather than the 'plug-in' hybrid performance-orientated system that is being developed for Rally1".
    True. My bad.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

  10. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (3rd May 2021)
  11. #107
    Senior Member er88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,530
    Like
    2,053
    Liked 1,567 Times in 760 Posts
    I do find it a shame the drivers won't be allowed to decide for themselves where they want to use the boost, during a stage. Would make it more interesting and give the drivers something else to think about it.

  12. Likes: AndyRAC (29th April 2021),AnttiL (29th April 2021)
  13. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    84
    Like
    25
    Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
    meeeeh... Im still not buying into hybrid racing cars tbh. I mean, if they were pushing for electric cars for the WRC (not Rally2, ffs) I'd hate the lack of sound but I'd understand the reasons - But only if they had more freedom to explore and develop the technology. That would be interesting. But Lets be honest: Spec parts are NOT pushing development in anyway. And even so, Manufacturers are in Formula-e mostly because of "Marketing" and not necessarly to "develop road car tech". So.... I dont know. Top Motorsport championships are getting weird. Hope they dont mess up with Rally2.
    I just saw wec saying it may need to reduce LMP2 performance even more(!) cuz they are still faster than the new Hypercars. This is pure nightmare.

  14. #109
    Senior Member Sulland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,552
    Like
    1,259
    Liked 966 Times in 490 Posts
    How is this package going to work?

    - is it plugin hybrid or is it charged up only from driving?
    - How can the driver impact how it is used? Is anything said on how the battery management system works with the ICE?
    - Is it only meant to be used on transport or also for instance on powerstage?

    As it looks now this is only R&D, with a mini 3,9 KWh battery. That is not many km on fully electric.

  15. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,416
    Like
    297
    Liked 2,634 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    As it looks now this is only R&D, with a mini 3,9 KWh battery. That is not many km on fully electric.
    As I mentioned some time ago this is similar size to batteries in Toyota non-plugin hybrids and more than enough to given electric boost during acceleration in most corners on a typical 10-15 min rally stage. Though for sure not enough for electric-only driving.

    As mentioned by others the really bad idea seems to be restricting the usage to only specific parts of stage. But we dunno how restrictive that will be. Best case is that they only block it in a few "dangerous areas", worst case is the opposite - only allowed in very few corners.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •