Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    IRC was good first two years...then Skoda completely dominated it and fun was over. Whether it was due to money or just good work I am not so sure. Prbly both.
    Although the skoda was indeed the best car overall, others cars still had a good chance.

But what made IRC so good is that we had many privateers and one off's. You didn't have to be in a factory car to be able to fight for the win. Yes, driving a proton wouldn't give you much chance, but there were many private skoda's, fiesta's and peugeot's available.

Even in the last year we had 6 different winners. Even 8 if you count the two rallies that nobody went to.

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Yet, perhaps the greatest championships we have seen in the last 20 years were the IRC years. When we had so many different cars and so many privateers.
    It was not. I liked it but it was very far from being the greatest championship. There were strong events mixed with events where nearly nobody went (Russia, Brazil for example) and even events where literaly nobody went (China 2008, Safari 2009). Everything good was held in Europe (with likely only exception being Argentina but that is still debatable). You can't replace World Championship with a series where everything worth talking about happens only in Europe.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: AndyRAC (26th May 2021),focus206 (26th May 2021)
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    It was not. I liked it but it was very far from being the greatest championship. There were strong events mixed with events where nearly nobody went (Russia, Brazil for example) and even events where literaly nobody went (China 2008, Safari 2009). Everything good was held in Europe (with likely only exception being Argentina but that is still debatable). You can't replace World Championship with a series where everything worth talking about happens only in Europe.
    and what's the difference with the wrc?

out of 14 rallies this year, there are 2 outside of europe. And its doubtfull kenya and japan will even go through.

face it, rallying is a european sport.

Liked 9,342 Times in 4,961 Posts
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/t...-test/6515895/

Wilson believes the impending new rules cycle – which runs from 2022 until December 2024 – is going to put the World Rally Championship in an even stronger position because of the speed of Rally1 cars.

The 2022 regulations introduce an extra 134bhp from the e-motor developed by Compact Dynamics.

“We are in for another very, very exciting era,” said Wilson. “I have to say: seeing the car in Greystoke [in the UK], I was quite shocked at the pace and, to be honest, that was well before we were running full hybrid. I believe now it’s even more impressive with the hybrid running up to almost full capacity.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I followed WRX when it was Solberg, Loeb, Kristoffer son. Ekstrom, Block..
    When manus and almost all these stopped I stopped. Got a bit too much second rate drivers feeling.
    2019 season without manufacturers and big stars was the best one. And then In 2020 Johan and Mattias returned... and then it was the best one ever! =P

Liked 9,342 Times in 4,961 Posts
    Heard a suggestion that the 2022 M-Sport car could use the Mustang Mach-e as it's base car as way to get more support from Ford Performance USA.

I'm not convinced as that's all-electric - my money is still on the Puma as its sold as a hybrid.

Liked 108 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    and what's the difference with the wrc?

out of 14 rallies this year, there are 2 outside of europe. And its doubtfull kenya and japan will even go through.

face it, rallying is a european sport.
    I don't think there are any doubts about Kenya.

Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    random thoughts again but I still find this hybrid thing weird and cannot wrap my head around that.
    Today I woke up with the news that BMW will also build a LMDh car (Cuz LMDh can race in Daytona too). What is so atractive in Hybrid cars that Im missing out? I mean, cuz that class is totally spec for the Hybrid parts. I believe even the chassis are required to be "spec" (only 2 oem will build chassis?) for LMDh.
    Porsche, Audi, Acura. Plus the LMPH for Toyota, Peugeot, Ferrari, ByKolles, Glickenhaus (you build the whole car but they have BoP to compete with LMDh) Plus the rumors with Cadillac and Lamborghini...
    LeMans is huge but wec is not a big championship... is Hybrid "spec" tech really that interesting for all these brands? Was wrc being serious when saying "Hybrid wrc is the most atractive model ever"?

Liked 707 Times in 334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmmjvss View Post
    random thoughts again but I still find this hybrid thing weird and cannot wrap my head around that.
    Today I woke up with the news that BMW will also build a LMDh car (Cuz LMDh can race in Daytona too). What is so atractive in Hybrid cars that Im missing out? I mean, cuz that class is totally spec for the Hybrid parts. I believe even the chassis are required to be "spec" (only 2 oem will build chassis?) for LMDh.
    Porsche, Audi, Acura. Plus the LMPH for Toyota, Peugeot, Ferrari, ByKolles, Glickenhaus (you build the whole car but they have BoP to compete with LMDh) Plus the rumors with Cadillac and Lamborghini...
    LeMans is huge but wec is not a big championship... is Hybrid "spec" tech really that interesting for all these brands? Was wrc being serious when saying "Hybrid wrc is the most atractive model ever"?
    It’s not the tech that’s interesting to them, it’s the ability to go and win some of the big races for a fraction of the cost required previously, while still being on message with hybrid etc.
    The LMDh cars will likely be sold as customer cars as well, making the whole thing potentially cost neutral.
    Le Mans/WEC/IMSA have finally come up with something that sports cars have needed for ever basically, a low cost (relatively), development capped (BOP) , global formula.
    The grid of Le Mans 2023 will be pretty impressive, and they ‘should’ all be competitive through BOP.

11. Likes: AndyRAC (11th June 2021)
    Liked 56 Times in 30 Posts
    Yves Matton ( https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/w...-2022/6557994/ ) :

"We have the main principles. Mainly it will be used on some road sections in full electric mode

"It will be used at the start of the stage, also where you will have both hybrid and the internal combustion engine giving you full power, and then under conditions it will be used in the stage to bring in some performance to the car following different programmes that you will be able to fine-tune.

"You will not have a button to use the power, it will be more a software and under conditions you will have the power.

"You will have a number of different strategies that you will be able to choose but the driver will not be able to set up the strategies by themselves. The system we are working on is for all the stages."
    http://wrc.is.free.fr