Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    3 is still better than the 2 we had last season...
    Wait, what?

2. Likes: cali (1st April 2021)
    Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Exactly! The first hybrid rules were expensive, and unsustainable, so manufacturers left. They've had a rethink, and come up with a solution - and manufacturers have decided it's a good idea to join. Offer the manufacturers something, and they will consider it, and if they think it's a good fit, then they'll sign up.

As I've already said, the manufacturers are out there; sadly, the WRC isn't offering anything to new prospective manufacturers - so we have the same 3 we already have.
    Agreed.

I think Latvala said it best, some years ago we had only 2 manufactures (Citroen and Ford), and a bunch of privateers.

Today it is way too expensive for privateers to rent one of those cars.

There lies the problem if you want a more extensive entrylist.

4. Likes: Sulland (3rd April 2021)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Wait, what?
    Well, we had a huge debate here on how m-sport is not a "real" manufacturer.
    Now Ford seems to be more involved with M-Sport compared to last year(s), so they should have a real 2024 commitment and not the classic winter "we don't know if we can enter next year" nor a "transitional" season with no top driver as this one.
    To me, it counts as having a "real" manu again. so 3 and not 2 (2 and a privateer if u rather)

and by the way, I think ford is back also because is interested in the hybrid thing (they had a huge marketing on sport website -like eurosport- in Italy about sport hybrids and evs)

this is from october 2020, sponsored by ford:
    https://www.eurosport.it/motorsports...39/story.shtml (italian, sorry)

tranlation on the wrc related bit:
    CHANGE IS IMMINENT
    The FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) has its roots in fierce, muddy and terribly noisy cars. However, the series will have to be reformed in 2022, when hybrid technology will enter the scene, representing the most significant change in technical regulations since the arrival of Group A in 1987.
    Among the groups promoting the development of hybrid technology is M-Sport, the most successful Ford-powered rally team based in the UK. This Ford-backed team has many accolades and a solid track record in rallying, winning numerous titles including the Constructors' and Drivers' championships in 2017 and the Drivers' Championship in 2018.
    "This is a completely new set of regulations that affect not only the hybrid engine but the entire rally car," Richard Milleners, Team Principal of M-Sport, tells Eurosport. The team is currently working hard to develop its Ford hybrid car for 2022, which will be used for racing around the world.
    WE ARE FACING A VERY CHALLENGING HURDLE BECAUSE WE ARE CHANGING EVERYTHING FOR 2022 AND INTRODUCING ANOTHER POWERTRAIN THAT WE HAVE NOT USED BEFORE.
    The M-Sport team is excited to talk about the role Ford is playing in the introduction of the technology, with which the manufacturer has determined the implementation of the hybrid together with the FIA.
    "We only have a staff of 200 in the UK and we are calling on all of Ford's expertise, which is exceptional," he continues. "Hopefully this will help us build another successful car. The last time the regulations underwent such a change, our car won the championship two years in a row."

FORD DRIVES WRC HYBRID TECHNOLOGY
    The WRC season was suspended for four months this year, and during this interruption the teams were allowed to continue their development. According to Richard, this was a good thing, as he continued to work with Ford on the hybrid technology and began to refine the details.
    "It was an ideal time for us to focus our efforts on the new car for 2022," he said. "We have had a lot of time to devote to this goal and have further strengthened the collaboration between us.
    "Without Ford and its support, none of this would have been possible. They have abundant resources that we rely on to work together. Most of our technology, work and design improvements on our hybrid come from our colleagues in Ford's engineering department."

there's also other ford sponsored articles about innovation in technology and audience engagement that speaks about WRC, with lots of fiesta's pictures. Not so usual in generalist media in Italy. Also not so common lately to Ford to ride their wrc link I think.
    Last edited by wyler; 1st April 2021 at 14:20.

Sorry, but I believe Ford is not back as a full factory team. Most likely they just give resources to developing the new car, like always, but M-Sport has to deal with the running costs by themselves.

Another good example how Ford can take marketing benefit from M-Sport's efforts without putting down the millions like Toyota and Hyundai.

8. Likes: jonkka (2nd April 2021),pantealex (6th April 2021)
    Sorry, but I believe Ford is not back as a full factory team. Most likely they just give resources to developing the new car, like always, but M-Sport has to deal with the running costs by themselves.

Another good example how Ford can take marketing benefit from M-Sport's efforts without putting down the millions like Toyota and Hyundai.
    Maybe, or maybe not.
    I think m-sport was the first to test the new car not by his own means, and all this ford pr on the hybrid era in wrc from late 2020 is not random. then for sure ford will not become suddenly toyota in terms of commitment, but will help m-sport to be a decent contender. marketing doesn't work if your product falls way behind the others. useless to put so much effort in pr like "wrc as benchmark of the ford's electric future" with no result to show.

EDIT: also Wilson Pr is way sweeter towards Ford lately...
    (testing in America is new or they refer to ford wind tunnel?)
    https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...uture/6005846/
    Last edited by wyler; 1st April 2021 at 16:22.

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post
    Agreed.

I think Latvala said it best, some years ago we had only 2 manufactures (Citroen and Ford), and a bunch of privateers.

Today it is way too expensive for privateers to rent one of those cars.

There lies the problem if you want a more extensive entrylist.
    You have to ask yourself why other sports like f1 or dakar manage to fill the grid, but wrc can't.

If they would get rid of the stupid homologation rules and allow everyone to build a car, we could see far more teams.

After so many years being a private team they still have not considered changing marque.

So it must be that ford is giving them more than any other manufacturer is willing to give.

11. Likes: NickRally (3rd April 2021)
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka View Post
    Yes, there are four licenses.

EDIT: Link to FIA statement: https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-manufac...022-hybrid-era
    and excerpt from it:

Through this model, the participation in the FIA World Rally Championship will shift in 2022 to a numerus clausus system of four slots, with each of the three current manufacturers and the FIA owning one slot.
    FIA and their usual BS-stuff -.-

Liked 5,565 Times in 2,299 Posts
    Why need “slots”?

I think they are collaborating on some costs. But I would also like to know how new manufacturers could join in.