Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I read a rumor that the boost could only be used at stage starts and very slow corner exits. Possibbly they are scared it will be too much power to use elsewherr. Sad to see the competitive aspect of where to use the boost not utilized.

I don’t see them changing the restrictor. It would mean a lot of development work to get the engines working with a smaller restrictor. So far they’ve kept saying engines will remain the same.

2. Likes: AndyRAC (29th April 2021)
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I read a rumor that the boost could only be used at stage starts and very slow corner exits. Possibbly they are scared it will be too much power to use elsewherr. Sad to see the competitive aspect of where to use the boost not utilized.

I don’t see them changing the restrictor. It would mean a lot of development work to get the engines working with a smaller restrictor. So far they’ve kept saying engines will remain the same.
    However all that power and torque is of no use if they can't get the power down to the ground. If they use the electric power for slow corners and stage starts I'd love to see how the tyres hold up with the instant torque from the electric motors.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

4. Likes: cali (28th April 2021)
    Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    They were presented as mild-hybrids, not plugin. IMHO plugin hybrid with such small battery makes little sense.
    How can it have enough battery to run electric only through cities when it's only a mild hybrid?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    They were presented as mild-hybrids, not plugin. IMHO plugin hybrid with such small battery makes little sense.
    In a statement (re Rally 2 Cars) the FIA said its objective is "to demonstrate how existing road-car technology can be transferred into the motorsport arena, rather than the 'plug-in' hybrid performance-orientated system that is being developed for Rally1".

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    At least the new Fiesta doesnt sound like this...

https://youtu.be/UUvKESK_8cA

8. Likes: NickRally (3rd May 2021)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    How can it have enough battery to run electric only through cities when it's only a mild hybrid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    In a statement (re Rally 2 Cars) the FIA said its objective is "to demonstrate how existing road-car technology can be transferred into the motorsport arena, rather than the 'plug-in' hybrid performance-orientated system that is being developed for Rally1".
    True. My bad.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (3rd May 2021)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I do find it a shame the drivers won't be allowed to decide for themselves where they want to use the boost, during a stage. Would make it more interesting and give the drivers something else to think about it.

12. Likes: AndyRAC (29th April 2021),AnttiL (29th April 2021)
    Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    meeeeh... Im still not buying into hybrid racing cars tbh. I mean, if they were pushing for electric cars for the WRC (not Rally2, ffs) I'd hate the lack of sound but I'd understand the reasons - But only if they had more freedom to explore and develop the technology. That would be interesting. But Lets be honest: Spec parts are NOT pushing development in anyway. And even so, Manufacturers are in Formula-e mostly because of "Marketing" and not necessarly to "develop road car tech". So.... I dont know. Top Motorsport championships are getting weird. Hope they dont mess up with Rally2.
    I just saw wec saying it may need to reduce LMP2 performance even more(!) cuz they are still faster than the new Hypercars. This is pure nightmare.

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    How is this package going to work?

- is it plugin hybrid or is it charged up only from driving?
    - How can the driver impact how it is used? Is anything said on how the battery management system works with the ICE?
    - Is it only meant to be used on transport or also for instance on powerstage?

As it looks now this is only R&D, with a mini 3,9 KWh battery. That is not many km on fully electric.

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    As it looks now this is only R&D, with a mini 3,9 KWh battery. That is not many km on fully electric.
    As I mentioned some time ago this is similar size to batteries in Toyota non-plugin hybrids and more than enough to given electric boost during acceleration in most corners on a typical 10-15 min rally stage. Though for sure not enough for electric-only driving.

As mentioned by others the really bad idea seems to be restricting the usage to only specific parts of stage. But we dunno how restrictive that will be. Best case is that they only block it in a few "dangerous areas", worst case is the opposite - only allowed in very few corners.