Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanelv View Post
    It would be interesting to know what is the maximum regen power they will get and what is the net capacity of the battery in kWh. Maybe it has been provided already somewhere? It would be an interesting thing to show, what is the % of the battery and what is the current regen power and regenerated energy in a sector/braking etc.

In a trip in Norway with a Kona EV I managed to regenerate 5 kWh in around 15 km when descending from 1300 m a.s.l to 9 m a.s.l (the road from Turtagrø to Øvre Årdal). Kona allows a maximum 150 kW charge to battery when recuperating (measured with an OBD dongle), Taycan should allow up to 300 kW if I remember correctly. But as the Rally1 battery is probably quite small I believe their maximum regen power is lower, otherwise the C would be very high and the battery longevity would suffer.
    Weighing 84kg, Compact Dynamics’ high-performance P3-topology hybrid system accommodates a motor-generator unit (MGU), control unit and battery in a compact housing, thereby delivering maximum power density. The battery for the hybrid system is supplied by Compact Dynamics’ partner, Kreisel Electric, based in Austria.

The unit consists of a 3.9kWh capacity battery pack which is coupled to the MGU, delivering 100kW (134hp) of power and 180Nm of torque during acceleration.
    During braking and coasting, the system recuperates energy normally lost and stores it in the battery. If necessary, the battery can also be recharged by an external power supply (plug-in hybrid) during service breaks. To charge from 20 to 80 per cent will take around 20 minutes using the dedicated units.

The MGU, which operates at up to 12,000rpm, the battery, which operates at up to 750 volts, and the inverter control unit are sealed in a carbon fibre housing to resist possible forces and impacts in the event of an accident. The unit is designed to withstand a 70G impact.
    https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc...inable-future/

2. Likes: Sulland (10th January 2022),Tanelv (10th January 2022)
    Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Rally1 hybrid system explained by M-Sport:

https://youtu.be/-mbCJecCDr8

4. Likes: WRCStan (10th January 2022)
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanelv View Post
    It would be interesting to know what is the maximum regen power they will get and what is the net capacity of the battery in kWh. Maybe it has been provided already somewhere? It would be an interesting thing to show, what is the % of the battery and what is the current regen power and regenerated energy in a sector/braking etc.

In a trip in Norway with a Kona EV I managed to regenerate 5 kWh in around 15 km when descending from 1300 m a.s.l to 9 m a.s.l (the road from Turtagrø to Øvre Årdal). Kona allows a maximum 150 kW charge to battery when recuperating (measured with an OBD dongle), Taycan should allow up to 300 kW if I remember correctly. But as the Rally1 battery is probably quite small I believe their maximum regen power is lower, otherwise the C would be very high and the battery longevity would suffer.
    If I count right in a veeeeery simplistic linear scenario a 300 kW recuperation would be able to slow down a WRC car from 150 km/h with a deceleration of 1,5G without using brakes at all.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

6. Likes: WRCStan (10th January 2022)
    Does anyone know how the cars regen their battery between stages during a loop (not at service). Is this done with the car's ICE ?

8. Likes: WRCStan (10th January 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Does anyone know how the cars regen their battery between stages during a loop (not at service). Is this done with the car's ICE ?
    Yes of course.

10. Likes: WRC1 (10th January 2022)
    Great work by WRC Wings comparing the aero of the three new Rally1 cars...

https://www.wrcwings.tech/2022/01/10...2-rally1-cars/

12. Likes: lluisva555 (11th January 2022)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post

so drivers who use constantly the left foot brake have to change style?
    after 3 days we discussed here ,there we are.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/will-...e-out-in-2022/

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I remember that already in the era of the fully active 2.0 litre WRC they often said that left foot braking isn't needed if you set the diff maps right (at least on asphalt). After all the left foot braking wastes energy and adds heat to the brakes. In pure theory it shall be avoided. The new cars don't have the center diff and shall therefore behave more like an overpowered R5 car. It would be interesting to hear from the drivers how much they actually use it in them.

By the way my eyes bleed reading the first paragraph of the article... of course you launch yourself through the windshield if you do the left foot braking in a stock car because there is the vacuum brake servo which is not present in the WRC car. On the other hand everyone is able to brake by left foot in a go kart and finds it perfectly natural.
    Last edited by Mirek; 11th January 2022 at 17:00.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    There's a difference to using your left foot for braking (while not throttling) and doing the "left-foot-braking" which is used to balance the car to improve turn-in.

From what I've heard from various interviews, Ogier's style is to brake before corner, roll through the corner and apply throttle upon reaching exit angle. Thus there's no simultaneous braking and throttling.

Out of the current drivers Esapekka Lappi seems to be a heavy left-foot-braker, braking lights are alight while turning as well. Remember when he and Ogier were teammates at Citroen, they struggled to find suitable front diff ramps for Esapekka.

16. Likes: cali (11th January 2022),doubled1978 (11th January 2022),Mirek (11th January 2022)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Since you mention Citroen...

In 2017 Mikkelsen drove the 3 rallies with them, before the first one (Sardinia) he had some 80 km test. Later there was I believe an official press release where they said that they didn't have any diffsettings ready for a driving style that "didn't use left-foot braking at all" (Mikkelsen copied his style from Ogier at VW).

This even got some attention here with comments about "how can anyone drive like that".

18. Likes: AnttiL (12th January 2022)