Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    As I expected, one "question-answer" pair will induce another one. This 100 kJ is the maximum of the each boost available after each valid regen (min 30 kJ) or it is sum of energy which can be used during whole stage, so all boosts on SS2 should give sum of energy equal 100 kJ? I thought the later is true, but now the former sounds reasonable...
    Thank you
    It's for each boost between valid regen, so for SS2, it's 100kj for each boost when the pedal gas is enough (depending of the selected the boost mapping, 3 are available) after a valid regen (depending of the selected regen mapping, 3 are available) and enough energy level.
    Last edited by traxx; 18th January 2022 at 08:04.
    http://wrc.is.free.fr

2. Likes: Tom K (18th January 2022)
    Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
    Many thanks. One more thing. I have an impression that braking with 30 kJ regen is more about triggering the boost rather than actual regen the battery.

Fowler from Toyota: "So in effect, the energy that you deploy should be such an amount that if you deploy on every section through the stage you equal your battery capacity at the end.

“It’s an energy-based strategy where you start with a full battery, you regenerate a certain amount and you deploy more than you regenerate and at the end your battery is finished.

I also read sth from M-Sport that SOC (state of charge) of battery at the start will be 80 % (confirmed in Monte biuletin). At the finish they want battery to have 30%.

We have lenght of the stage - SS2 - 23,25 km. We have maximum value of each boost - 100 kJ. So under hypothetical conditions (no corner/braking shortly after beginning of the boost) each boost could release 100 kJ. It has to be preceded by "valid regen" - 30 kJ.

And now: If they want battery to go down from SOC 80% to SOC 30%, is it enough to regen under each braking this 30 kJ to be able to use 100 kJ from next boost? Or driver should try to regen as big amount of energy as possible? In other words - should some of the braking regens give 60 kJ/80 kJ and does it have influence on the energy for boost which he will use until the end of the stage?

In above assumption I excluded boost maps and regen maps to make it simplier.

Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    The aim of the game hasn't changed, driver wants to get to the finish as quickly as possible and will concentrate on that not energy values. There's no points for energy recovery or having a fuller/used battery. The rate at which the battery recharges doesn't convince me it's worth a driver thinking about. 30kj is tiny, 5-10% of what's available braking from 120kph to 50kph. We'll have to wait and see real world values of what they are actually capable of.

Full battery has 14,040kj on paper, max SOC 80% is 11,232. Max 1000kj off at the start line, 10,232kj. Sounds like 30% could be the minimum SOC, 4212kj.

So, even when they regen the minimum and boost the max each time and have the opportunity to do that, it's >80 boosts on this stage, average 4/km? It's plenty, but we're assuming they're starting the stage at max SOC! Maybe another strategy play is to turn it off on the first stage of a loop?

5. Likes: Tom K (18th January 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post

So, even when they regen the minimum and boost the max each time and have the opportunity to do that, it's >80 boosts on this stage, average 4/km? It's plenty, but we're assuming they're starting the stage at max SOC! Maybe another strategy play is to turn it off on the first stage of a loop?
    Why? They can regenerate the battery to full on the road section.

You are right 30kj is for triggering, but it could be more if it's a hard braking zone...

For instance, for this stage 2, if the car start with 80% and finish with 30% so around 7000kj is available (11232 kj to 4212 kj)
    So 70 boosts (100kj) are available.

To be able to do a boost you need a brake, if each time the driver brakes at 30kj (it's only a theory, not real...), extra generated energy : 2100kj so 21 extra boosts.

So for SS2, 91 boosts could be available. More with long braking, less without braking...

8. Likes: Tom K (18th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Sure, Should be around 100% at the start of each stage

Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Not if they're straight out of one and into the other. Now I remember they have this new P1 clash rule so they have the time but if it's just meters down the road they would have to leave the engine running.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Not if they're straight out of one and into the other. Now I remember they have this new P1 clash rule so they have the time but if it's just meters down the road they would have to leave the engine running.
    Not leave engine running but make quick accelerate / brakings ( I hope they won't do this anyway in public traffic). But as we know two stages will no more be close to each other in terms of time, and likely not in terms of distance either.

I'm also sadly convinced that we won't see anymore stages with 30+ km lengths. As if the changes we have seen during the 2-3 last years have been targeting at the new cars.

Liked 2,833 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Is this season of WRC going to be all about mathematics? What happens if they go out of boundry with all kJ?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,830 Times in 708 Posts
    So basically... they made a way to have a bit of extra power and put hybrid stickers on the car. To me it seems the system is made so that the driver doesn't have to think about it too much once he is used to it. Maybe just adjusting the mapping to the conditions but on most rallies it will just stay in the same setting the whole rally. But I don't think it's a bad way to do it, if you think about it, this prescription ensures that the boost is used to accelerate after some significant braking so you can't use it to boost when going at top speed. More power in the corners = more fun?

14. Likes: AnttiL (18th January 2022),Jewy46 (18th January 2022),WRCStan (18th January 2022),wyler (18th January 2022)