Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    This class was already introduced a few years ago. Originally it was called R4 Kit. It's just been very unpopular so most of us have never seen these cars in action.

This class is problematic because currently it's in the same RC2 category with Rally2 cars, but the performance is closer to Rally3 cars. However, like it's been explained elsewhere, the main reason for this kit are regional rally championships outside Europe, where it's very expensive to import a complete Rally2 car from Europe, compared to building one of these to a car bought from your native country.
    Yes I know and that's what I'm talking about. For a average Joe this is sooo confusing.... again

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

2. Likes: Jarek Z (5th March 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Yes I know and that's what I'm talking about. For a average Joe this is sooo confusing.... again

But just clarifying it's not like they did it now. This class became before the new Rally1,2,3 classes and it almost seems they forgot the existence of it when drawing the new rally pyramid.

4. Likes: cali (5th March 2021),HKSjbg (5th March 2021),Jarek Z (5th March 2021),pantealex (5th March 2021),Rallyper (5th March 2021)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    But just clarifying it's not like they did it now. This class became before the new Rally1,2,3 classes and it almost seems they forgot the existence of it when drawing the new rally pyramid.
    Yes I'm aware of that and so are most of our forumers but for a average Joe now you have Rally 2, Rally 2 Kit Car which is slower than Rally 3 car

Already we have confusion between WRC2 and WRC3 classes now we have Kit Car as well which can compete in WRC2, but can't participate in WRC3 and is slower than Rally3.

Thanks FIA!

EDIT: maybe soon we have Rally 2+, Rally 2 Kit Car +, Rally 2 EVO just to have more confusion

Last edited by cali; 5th March 2021 at 09:11.

6. Likes: Jarek Z (5th March 2021),the sniper (5th March 2021)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Uh oh. I'm in a Finnish facebook rally group, where someone (who has been close to the Toyota team) posted this news with the comment "Audi is coming this spring with an R5 car". It has now 112 likes in two hours. People just eat this story without reading further. And of course the comments are filled with "this proves that R5 needs to be the main class" or "I wonder if the technology is shared from Fabia/Polo"

Meanwhile on twitter and facebook people are asking "will it be a 5 cylinder engine / why is it a 4 cylinder engine".

This has been a bad day of rally publishing.
    Me too frustrated over this confusion, managed by FIA, already had discussion with my son over classes. And with you to AnttiL on Twitter. (Also mixing it up with competition classes, you know RC1-RC4...)

Looks like there´s hardly as many versions as people discussing...

Well, well, Audi might like to be a part of the rallying family again, starting easy. Who knows what´s going on at manufacturers managing directors...

Let´s hope for Audi in RC1... (Note. class not, car)
    Last edited by Rallyper; 5th March 2021 at 10:02.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Rally 2 Kit Car which is slower than Rally 3 car
    Well, we don't know the pace of Rally3 car yet, but hopefully we'll get some idea tomorrow

9. Likes: cali (5th March 2021)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Well, we don't know the pace of Rally3 car yet, but hopefully we'll get some idea tomorrow
    A bit better than Rally4 car. 4WD added to the three cyl engine isn´t a rocket...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quick recap of R4 history.

Every time you do an organizational development, you will always have challenges with the heiritage.
    In this case you have a cartype that was intended for a certain role, and failed - and as so often before - due to cost!

The R4 class was supposed to take over from GrN. FIA gave the task of developing a kit that can be bolted on to a chassis.
    They went on a tender, and Oreca won. A company that is part of the FIA "Court Suppliers", but mainly in racing.

They took a PSA engine and a simple 4wd system and safety cage - called it the R4 kit.
    http://www.akis.is/wp-content/upload...ette_R4_EN.pdf

It was overpriced even after Oreca cut 20 000 Euro on the kit, compared to R5.

But the R4 was supposed to be 40-50% cheaper to run, compared to an R5.
    Here are all R4 cars build; https://www.ewrc-results.com/cars/r4/
    The good thing is that you do not have to go through a Homologation process, since the kit was already homologated.

Then the remake in the naming convention came with Rally1, Rally2 and so on.
    For some reason FIA then called the old R4 for Rally2 Kit (??) But since the tech spec was made to be one layer under R5/Rally2, this did the same to R4 as they had done to S2000 a few years earlier - it put the cartype on the backburner, for a slow death.
    Then the Rally3 plan came up to fill the hole, and make qa cheaper 4wd. Take a Rally4 (R2) car, and put on a 4wd system.
    Max price 100 000 euro.

The circumstances changed a bit on the engine size, since not all manus had an engine to use, so new max volume 1620, but smaller restrictor.
    Debut this weekend.
    I think Rally3 have better odds than R4 had, and hope it finds it place.
    ERC have made a class for rally3 this year, and it looks like WRC will have a series for it in 2022. That is a good start for success!

But I belive in EKS and JC, maybe they and with Bergkvist as pilot can show the true potential of the Rally2 Kit car, and find a niche for it.
    Last edited by Sulland; 5th March 2021 at 11:45.

12. Likes: BleAivano (5th March 2021),cali (5th March 2021),HKSjbg (5th March 2021),Jarek Z (9th March 2021),Rallyper (5th March 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    The most important difference is that one which people often don't like to admit. The Rally3 cars are manufacturer-built cars. They have manufacturer support and someone to push for them in relation to the championships regulations etc. That's what the privately built kit cars can never enjoy whatever their class is.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 5,497 Times in 2,280 Posts
    Rally2-Kit

And people start writing Rally2 Kit Car... oh god

15. Likes: AnttiL (5th March 2021),Sulland (5th March 2021)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    I have just read that there is another Audi A1 rally car. Enrico Windisch is going to drive it in Blaufränkischland Rallye (Austria) tomorrow. It looks a little different than Ekstrom's car and it is called Audi A1 R4, but I think it is also Rally2 Kit. Look at no. 20 on the entry list:
    http://www.blaufraenkischlandrallye....nennliste.html

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/...-hubert-au.jpg
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!