Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 379 Times in 176 Posts
    We seem to have this same discussion here every five years or so. It is quite easy to list several locations that have the basic ingredients of snow and stage length to hold a WRC round. However, any new WRC Organiser would face challenges far greater than if organising a gravel or tarmac round. Consider just one item like officials and their vehicles. It is hard enough to get sufficient numbers of each for three days or longer normally, now add the fact that they will be on stage in snow and minus temperatures (remember the ambulance issue at Monza!) and it will be twice as hard or expensive! Also, in the case of Japan (and Canada, I think) there is a huge legal hurdle to overcome as spike tyres are banned on most public roads. OK, an unlimited budget can overcome most things, but without strong government support I cannot see a second winter WRC round ever being held outside of the Nordic countries..........(thinks a bit)..... Hey, what about Russia?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

2. Likes: AnttiL (1st March 2021),cali (1st March 2021),pantealex (2nd March 2021),Rallyper (2nd March 2021),satnav (2nd March 2021)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post
    The fact that it's not allowed to use studded tyres on most states in USA could be an obstacle?
    No chance of getting an exeption to the rules for an event like this?

Liked 41 Times in 18 Posts
    In some timeframe studded tyres will be probably banned in public use from whole globe and snow rallies can be organized only with special permissions or with a new tyre innovation (?) reaching similar grip to studded tyres. But yeah, surely snow rallies are most likely to be organized on locations where it comes naturally, without extraordinary effort or cost. Quickly it sounds like there isn't much of snow rallying heritage outside of Nordic countries.

5. Likes: Rallyper (2nd March 2021)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    No, they won`t be. Something like that has gone on for a while...one normal winter, like this season, and all those banners are quiet. Seen it beforne, seeing it now. And where they are banned, chains are allowed....so 9mm spikes vs 1.5 on a roadcar aren`t comparable in every way.

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Hokkaido View Post
    We seem to have this same discussion here every five years or so. It is quite easy to list several locations that have the basic ingredients of snow and stage length to hold a WRC round. However, any new WRC Organiser would face challenges far greater than if organising a gravel or tarmac round. Consider just one item like officials and their vehicles. It is hard enough to get sufficient numbers of each for three days or longer normally, now add the fact that they will be on stage in snow and minus temperatures (remember the ambulance issue at Monza!) and it will be twice as hard or expensive! Also, in the case of Japan (and Canada, I think) there is a huge legal hurdle to overcome as spike tyres are banned on most public roads. OK, an unlimited budget can overcome most things, but without strong government support I cannot see a second winter WRC round ever being held outside of the Nordic countries..........(thinks a bit)..... Hey, what about Russia?
    Russia is not going to happen by natural, I.e. economical reasons. Only with some political will may be, but i think, thats not even in 20 of sports that current poloiticians interested in now. Its not loud and big event like Olympics or football, hockey world cup. Numbers of followers is small too (related to football or hockey) . Car market is very small, despite relatively big population, so no big interest in manufacturers to go there to promote. Low level of peoples average income making autosport unreachable for vast majority of people and so, very few interested in doing it and even spectating it. Yes there are about 15 years of some little rumors here and there floating about wrc round, but tge only real tging was one event. Couple years ago there was one candidate(for erc or wrc) tarmac rally in Viborg with some delegates from fia.
    But it ended with nothing. And i didn't have heared anything about it since.

8. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (3rd March 2021)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Sum up so far:

Seems like Sweden, Norway and Finland candidates for 2nd winterrally if FIA wants it.

Sweden have the heritage and a move to better snowconditions is a must. (Östersund and Umeå are quite equal in many ways, although I know Östersund has a slightly upside)

Norway, well, they burnt themselves economically last time they arranged WRC winterrally. Don´t think they´ll try unless they get one or two remote stages if Östersund will have it.

Finland: did a remarkable rally for so short time of preparation. Shows just what was mentioned above that heritage is one part of success. Rovaniemi is perfect place. No problem arranging two rallies a year for Finland with Kai and Kari as captains. They were borned to organize top notch rallies...

Marketing nowadays is as said above or in Arctic thread, going on mostly online. We have perfect coverage from All Live and Media just love winter, so no reason to argue Sweden and Finland in combination can arrange each rally in a fortnight, maybe as soon as next year. My bet!
    Last edited by Rallyper; 2nd March 2021 at 11:30.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...