Page 110 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1175
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrvold View Post
    It's all fine, until something happens when warming the tyres like that.

Most important action against having an accident in the first corners are driving according to the grip you have. The best drivers in the world should be able to do that? Gryazin seemingly managed it in Croatia after his long hold.
    Bit daft overtaking a vehicle on public highway then slamming brakes on to warm tyres. While it might need to be done to warm brakes tyres etc, some appear not to be considerate to other road users.
    In that YouTube clip towards the end of the video is a tocsport Skoda that slams brakes on quite hard, Vauxhall insignia travelling behind brakes so hard the rear brake lights flash indicating heavy braking warning to following traffic. Driver of Vauxhall appears to take avoiding action by veering to the left, with an oncoming vehicle heading towards him.
    A rally fan may be aware of this tyre warming procedure, Regular road users not so much.

Liked 3,297 Times in 1,736 Posts
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

3. Likes: the sniper (28th April 2021)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Bit daft overtaking a vehicle on public highway then slamming brakes on to warm tyres. While it might need to be done to warm brakes tyres etc, some appear not to be considerate to other road users.
    In that YouTube clip towards the end of the video is a tocsport Skoda that slams brakes on quite hard, Vauxhall insignia travelling behind brakes so hard the rear brake lights flash indicating heavy braking warning to following traffic. Driver of Vauxhall appears to take avoiding action by veering to the left, with an oncoming vehicle heading towards him.
    A rally fan may be aware of this tyre warming procedure, Regular road users not so much.
    I think you need to re-watch again.
    - the Toksport Skoda is not overtaking anyone and had good distance behind (white Movisport Skoda before that overtakes a Citroen and hits brakes... but also into 40 km/h+speedbump+school zone and the Citroen basically doesn't need to hit brakes even though he touches them)

- the Insignia is far behind and accelerates in that low speed zone just after passing the cameraman (into a 40 km/h+speedbump+school zone, note that there is also a speedbump before the cameraman) which is why he closes up the distance. He even seems to continue to accelerate after the Skoda starts braking.

- reason why the Insignia is "avoiding" the Skoda to the left is because the Skoda gives a right indicator indicating he wants to stop/pull over, at that point both are doing like 10 km/h and the Insignia already stopped braking
    Last edited by mknight; 28th April 2021 at 09:12.

I know what car overtook.

Think you need to watch the video again if you think the Citroen didn’t need to brake, and the Insignia driver wasn’t doing anything wrong either, Tocsport Skoda brakes to a near standstill, way below 40 limit.

Watch again and this time from the viewpoint that you are driving the insignia, and imagine the car in front is not a rally car, then tell me if you were the driver would you consider the Skoda drivers actions acceptable driving?

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    I know what car overtook.

Think you need to watch the video again if you think the Citroen didn’t need to brake, and the Insignia driver wasn’t doing anything wrong either, Tocsport Skoda brakes to a near standstill, way below 40 limit.

Watch again and this time from the viewpoint that you are driving the insignia, and imagine the car in front is not a rally car, then tell me if you were the driver would you consider the Skoda drivers actions acceptable driving?
    - Citroen didn't need to brake for Movisport Skoda, he lightly touches the brakes after that Skoda already stopped braking and has same speed as the Citroen, with one car length between (see the shadow)

- The Insignia is visibly accelerating for no reason (possibly over the legal limit) to close the distance ("fan" racing) and because of that has to brake a lot. Then he seemingly tries to start overtaking/passing immediately without using signals while the Skoda actually uses signals to indicate he is stopping/letting him pass.

I find it extremely strange that from that long vid with many cars warming the tires by crossing left-right over both lanes you pick on these two. As mentioned by others it's the warming up by slalom across the street that is frowned upon by the police. Braking is by itself legal (unless you do that a few cms in front of a car), though off course drivers should have a look in the mirror before doing that. Problem is when the guy behind is racing you for some reason, like the Insignia did.

Because overtaking someone then braking immediately or slamming the brakes on with a car closely following is shit driving.

Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flykas View Post
    I heard that they are warming up the brakes not to make them work but to keep them warm and to keep the whole wheel warm which helps retain the heat in the tires longer.
    It makes sense because the time from Time Control to Start is 3 minutes.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    I don't know about WRC,
    they need to warm up.There is no racing pad with same bite from 0 to 500-600 celsious.

10. Likes: cali (28th April 2021),tommeke_B (28th April 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrvold View Post
    It's all fine, until something happens when warming the tyres like that.

Most important action against having an accident in the first corners are driving according to the grip you have. The best drivers in the world should be able to do that? Gryazin seemingly managed it in Croatia after his long hold.
    At least in my country the past 30 years nothing has ever happened during warming tyres.
    Especially 2WD cars without warmed up tyres can be very dangerous and can easily kid the driver that he has grip which he doesn't have. Also, on the level of WRC were races are lost for 0,6'' I don't think it is so real to ask from drivers to spend about 5-6 corners searching the level of grip.

As an aside note: If anyone thinks that it is possible to become rally driver, even a mediocre one, without violating many times the law and the modern advertised "correctness", he does not have the slightest reality about rallying. It is not possible. All drivers have acquired necessary skills, experience and competence in totally illegal and "incorrect" situations. Incidentally, as a side result, they have become safer in many illegal situations than the majority of average drivers are in legal ones. And all of them have been involved in situations in liaison sections where law had to go out of the window. All drivers have been outlaws many times. If anyone wants strict adherence to "correctness" and law, he is in the wrong sport.

12. Likes: tommeke_B (28th April 2021)
    @dimviii

Carbone Lorraine RC6 and RC8 have a level curve and very high friction coefficient from low temperatures. I am not sure, but I have heard that some WRC teams use RC8 on tarmac.
    Wilwood A have friction coefficient 0,55 from 35 degrees Celcius, which is already very high. Personally I haven't been able to detect any change in Wilwood A from the first corner to the last, even in crazy stages with 17 km continuous downhill sections. They lose some responsiveness at the end, but they are still as powerful as on the first corner. Pad technology has moved really a lot the past 15 years.
    Please see the diagrams I attach.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scn; 28th April 2021 at 19:06.

14. Likes: Mirek (28th April 2021)