Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1175
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    If someone thinks that rally drivers drive sensibly on the liaisons, you need to have a reality check. When they start to warm up, "road safety" is the last phrase you'd use to describe it.
    Yep, typical tyre warming before the stage start.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

2. Likes: Mirek (27th April 2021)
    Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    According to this video, Ogier shouldn't be the only one that got a fine from the FIA or police.. Not normal..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lER8Ru...outu.be#dialog

Nothing else than just showoff or smth..
    Comparing orange with apple... eg accident or going through red light with tyres/brakes warm up - that happens before every stage in any rally and done by all.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    i like this photo

5. Likes: cali (28th April 2021),Ha3aP (28th April 2021),scn (27th April 2021)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Nothing else than just showoff or smth..
    This is not showoff. This is the most important action against having an accident in the first corners of a stage because of cold tyres. Especially on slippery tarmac it is a necessary safety measure for both crew and spectators, believe it or not. All drivers do it. It is utter stupidity not to do it.

7. Likes: Augury (28th April 2021),cali (28th April 2021),dimviii (27th April 2021)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    because of cold tyres
    and brakes

9. Likes: cali (28th April 2021),Jewy46 (28th April 2021)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    and brakes
    I don't know about WRC, but the Wilwood A, the Carbone Lorraine RC6 and the OMP pads I have experience with do not need any warming up. They work from 100 degrees Celsius and the amazing Carbone Lorraine from ambient temperature. The Ferodo DS3000 need some slight warming to 250 degrees, but one or two hard brakings are enough. Only the old Ferodo DS11 needed significant warming-up, but these are not produced anymore.
    The big danger is the tyres. Especially on slippery tarmac, cold tyres are hell. Use of handbrake on straights and braking are preferred for warming up the tyres because it is much less provocative to brake than to do slaloms on public roads. As far as I know, this method started in France because the French police gave lots of fines for slaloms. So French drivers started using the brakes and the handbrake on straights, which is not illegal, and they avoided the fines. In Greece we use the handbrake and the brakes only when warming up is done in populated areas. In all other areas slaloms are the standard method, even in front of police.
    Last edited by scn; 27th April 2021 at 22:17.

Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Only one major issue... Katsuta 10/10. Stage wins are nice but when he is last WRC 20s (1s/km) behind on the stage before they don't matter much. He was also on the way to finish 7th before Greensmith hit issues. So something like 7/10.

Breen would get like 3/10 from me mostly due to hitting the curb for puncture 30m into the stage.

Greensmith 7/10 is British bias, 5/10 from me.
    The second issue I have is... well, Loubet went off, so 3/10 is fair, but saying he struggled "to find any decent pace". Then later on when giving Greensmith 7/10, Greensmith "set some encouraging times". Loubet was ahead of Greensmith when he went off.

12. Likes: cali (28th April 2021)
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    This is not showoff. This is the most important action against having an accident in the first corners of a stage because of cold tyres. Especially on slippery tarmac it is a necessary safety measure for both crew and spectators, believe it or not. All drivers do it. It is utter stupidity not to do it.
    It's all fine, until something happens when warming the tyres like that.

Most important action against having an accident in the first corners are driving according to the grip you have. The best drivers in the world should be able to do that? Gryazin seemingly managed it in Croatia after his long hold.

Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    I don't know about WRC, but the Wilwood A, the Carbone Lorraine RC6 and the OMP pads I have experience with do not need any warming up. They work from 100 degrees Celsius and the amazing Carbone Lorraine from ambient temperature. The Ferodo DS3000 need some slight warming to 250 degrees, but one or two hard brakings are enough. Only the old Ferodo DS11 needed significant warming-up, but these are not produced anymore.
    The big danger is the tyres. Especially on slippery tarmac, cold tyres are hell. Use of handbrake on straights and braking are preferred for warming up the tyres because it is much less provocative to brake than to do slaloms on public roads. As far as I know, this method started in France because the French police gave lots of fines for slaloms. So French drivers started using the brakes and the handbrake on straights, which is not illegal, and they avoided the fines. In Greece we use the handbrake and the brakes only when warming up is done in populated areas. In all other areas slaloms are the standard method, even in front of police.
    I heard that they are warming up the brakes not to make them work but to keep them warm and to keep the whole wheel warm which helps retain the heat in the tires longer.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrvold View Post
    The second issue I have is... well, Loubet went off, so 3/10 is fair, but saying he struggled "to find any decent pace". Then later on when giving Greensmith 7/10, Greensmith "set some encouraging times". Loubet was ahead of Greensmith when he went off.
    True, but Greensmith seemed to drive his best WRC car event so far. He was the slowest WRC only on a few stages (not counting Sunday when he had technical issues) and didn't make his own mistakes.